Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Supercharger recommendations please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 09:43 PM
Allabout5.0

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Supercharger recommendations please!

Guys,

I'm looking to get a supercharger installed in the next month and would really appreciate some opinions/recommendations/feedback based on what I'm looking at currently.

I've read good and bad things about the Roush kit. http://www.roushperformance.com/part...2011-2012.html
For only 6,200 anyone really like or dislike this?

Also, my truck is in Houston Texas so I got in touch with Hennessey and they sent me this link. http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/f150-50-hpe500.html
They quoted 12,995 and it's using the roush supercharger. I'm guessing it might have a better tune than the kit but not sure. I've requested a revised quote without the extra badging/embroidery and without the exhaust. I already have Stainless Works longtube headers, hi flow cats and full SS dual exhaust. I'm waiting on a response from Hennessey on a new quote.

Unfortunately I'm living out of the country and will only have a week back home in March or I would do the install myself and take it for a tune somewhere. I really want to have it done to enjoy it when I get home.

It's early now but after I have this installed I will sell my Boss 302 intake manifold and AFE CAI that I bought through Mike at 5 star if anyone is interested. I will sell for a good price to move it quick. Like I said it wont be until the 3rd week in March though.

Thanks guys, being over here for 6 months without driving my truck is killing me but would make it all worth while to come back and hear that sucker whine!
Old 02-08-2013, 10:32 PM

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

From what I've seen posted, the Roush tune is very conservative, a JLP tune really wakes it up.

Is the number Hennessey quoted parts and labor?
Old 02-09-2013, 04:18 AM
Allabout5.0

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, that's for parts and labor. They include stainless steel cat back exhaust, embroidered head rest, dash and engine plaques and exterior stickers. All of which I don't really want, that's why I requested a quote without.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:28 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Curious to know if Hennessey uses the Magnusen blower in their kit? Bunch of money for sure. I am leaning towards the Roush stage 1 kit with a good tune. I don't see the need to run the stage 2 kit and give power away in the tune.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:23 AM

Received 1,556 Likes on 990 Posts

Stay far away from Hennessey, especially if you live out of country.

As for the Rousch, my brother has one on his 5.0 Mustang. The supplied tune is poo. His made 585 rwhp with a manual trans and a different tune.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:56 AM

Received 270 Likes on 191 Posts

Honestly you should try the Magnusen kit. It's a little bit smaller super(1900vs2300) but runs in the same family. The good news is that even though the smaller super won't make 700hp(close to it though) but it will make much more torque in the lower rpm specifically around 1500-2500 range which is what you want on a truck that is lifted with bigger tires. I don't have a clue about their run but being as it's CARB approved I bet it's more streetable(daily driver friendly) than the roush tune but still conservative.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:32 PM

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

That should work.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:09 PM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mechanicboy
Honestly you should try the Magnusen kit. It's a little bit smaller super(1900vs2300) but runs in the same family. The good news is that even though the smaller super won't make 700hp(close to it though) but it will make much more torque in the lower rpm specifically around 1500-2500 range which is what you want on a truck that is lifted with bigger tires. I don't have a clue about their run but being as it's CARB approved I bet it's more streetable(daily driver friendly) than the roush tune but still conservative.
^what he said +

1. The magnuson does not require any of your stock parts to be modified.
2. It is less expensive
3. Easier install
4. Comes with a SCT tuner. With the roush you would have to buy one to have the tune updated to something like JLP, MPT, or Brenspeed. Though it sounds like you probably already have one. Might be helpful since you could sell you boss setup as a package, CAI/manifold/tuner.

Quick Reply: Supercharger recommendations please!