Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Strange turbo issue-2011 Ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 03:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Strange turbo issue-2011 Ecoboost (Now updated with Video!)

I'm having a strange issue on my 2011 Ecoboost that i cant find any info on.

Sometimes after i start my truck and start driving it feels like the truck has no power and it wont build boost. If you give the truck more throttle you can hear the turbo spool up and then it starts to blow off in what i can only describe as a fast series of "surges". If i give the truck full throttle it drops a gear and seems almost normal. The truck does not get a CEL or throw a code as far as i can tell. If i shut off the truck and restart it the problem always goes away and it works perfectly normal for the rest of my drive. I am taking my truck to a dealer to have the clutch packs replaced again (7th time!) on friday and they are going to try to pin down this issue as well but the service advisor told me that if its not throwing a CEL they more than likely will not be able to track down the problem.

So does this sound like a problem anyone else has heard of and i can maybe help point the tech in the right direction? I really need them to figure this out as my extended warranty will run out in the near future.

Last edited by retoxtony; 03-14-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:09 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Get some motorcraft sp534 plugs, make sure gapped to .030 and slappem in there
Old 03-12-2014, 04:20 PM
Beer Run

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine does the same thing (won't build boost) until it is warmed up. I think it is normal.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:49 PM

Its not the plugs. They were changed and gapped properly when i was trying to chase down my 60mph shudder that the dealer refused to help with. That wasnt that long ago.

And this is not normal. It sometimes does it when the truck is good and warm and it only started a while ago. Considering i have over 109,000km on it i have a pretty good idea whats normal for my truck.

It almost feels like the wastegate is sticking open or something but i cant confirm that. If that was the issue i dont think it would fix itself by simply shutting off the truck and restarting it. I really need to get this figured out, its driving me nuts. It happened on my way home from work again today.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:56 PM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

Do you have a tune?
Old 03-12-2014, 09:20 PM

No tune. Truck is completely stock.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:59 PM
F150 Forum

Received 37 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by retoxtony
Call me tomorrow...281-787-9691

it will be easier to help you over the phone then back and forth on the forum...
Old 03-13-2014, 12:19 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm having a strange issue on my 2011 Ecoboost that i cant find any info on.

Sometimes after i start my truck and start driving it feels like the truck has no power and it wont build boost. If you give the truck more throttle you can hear the turbo spool up and then it starts to blow off in what i can only describe as a fast series of "surges". If i give the truck full throttle it drops a gear and seems almost normal. The truck does not get a CEL or throw a code as far as i can tell. If i shut off the truck and restart it the problem always goes away and it works perfectly normal for the rest of my drive. I am taking my truck to a dealer to have the clutch packs replaced again (7th time!) on friday and they are going to try to pin down this issue as well but the service advisor told me that if its not throwing a CEL they more than likely will not be able to track down the problem.

So does this sound like a problem anyone else has heard of and i can maybe help point the tech in the right direction? I really need them to figure this out as my extended warranty will run out in the near future.
Hi retoxtony,

Let me know what the dealer says tomorrow! I hope they're able to diagnose the concern.

Bianca
Old 03-13-2014, 10:00 PM
F150 Forum

Received 37 Likes on 11 Posts

Good to talk to you today, thanks for letting me help do some troubleshooting...

Send me that PM we talked about and I will get back to you with a conclusion...
Old 03-14-2014, 10:52 AM

Thanks for the help yesterday. I haven't heard from the dealer yet but yesterday on my way to the city to drop it off i managed to get some video of the truck doing its thing. I just need to figure out how to upload it to the forum here.

Quick Reply: Strange turbo issue-2011 Ecoboost