Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Stainless Works or Solo catback??

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 01:07 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Stainless Works or Solo catback??

Trying to decide between a dual exit solo or an S-tube stainless works cat back for my '12 eco.

Can u guys chime in? What are differences in noise? Hp? Torque? Install? Quality?

Here is my '12 eco xlt

Name:  ForumRunner_20130911_203648.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  58.5 KB
Old 01-04-2014, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cant speak for Stainless Works, but I went with the SOLO MR400 single, with catless mid-pipe. First off, customer service from SOLO was outstanding!!! Regarding performance/sound: Performance improvement with my install was dramatic, however I also added a CAI and Livernois tuner at the same time so I cannot say exactly how much more umph was due to just the exhaust, however SOLO provides plenty of dyno documentation. Noise: initially I wasnt completely happy with the sound, it was a bit ricey, however this IS a 6 cyl Turbo, it will never sound like a throaty V8. That said, after the exhaust broke in the note/tone seemed to deepen and know I really like it. Definitely sounds unique and I get lots of looks when I get on it. little or no drone in the cabin, and its relatively quiet under normal driving conditions. I have no problem using my voice controls or Bluetooth phone even at highway speeds. Step on the gas..that's another story!!! It still makes me grin. Of course if you're going with the dual it will not be as aggressive as my set-up. Quality: welds ect are excellent. Install: Cat-back is no problem, easy enough to do by yourself, but a 2nd set of hands would be nice. I ran into issue with the Mid-pipe, but mainly because I didn't have a lift, or a 2nd set of hands. I ended up taking it to my buddy's shop and letting them do the mid-pipe(my patience aint what it used to be)!
Old 01-04-2014, 10:13 AM

Received 196 Likes on 163 Posts

Wink

I have the complete StainlessWorks system on my '11 Lariat 6.2. The headers, high flow cats, X-pipe, dual chambered mufflers and the duals with 3 1/2" tips exiting at the stock location. Kind of resembles the tips on the Raptor. That system made a Huge difference in the performance. When I added the Livewire, WOW! But it is Not quite. It was designed for the Raptor but works fine on the 6.2 Supercrew. If I cruise at 65 mph it's a bit loud, but I like it. Now if I bump up to 70 mph It noticeably quites down, alot. I think, because it was designed for the Raptor, which has 4.10 gears, and my Lariat has 3.73's, It puts the harmonics of the chambered mufflers out of sink. Chambered mufflers, the way I understand it, is suppose to cancel out certain frequancys at a given RPM. But performance wise, sound wise, and with the SCT Livewire, this truck is just plain Bad As* and Nasty.........
Old 01-04-2014, 10:14 AM

Received 179 Likes on 143 Posts

Solo has the jpipe. It may not have drone but the few I know that have it complain about interior volume. I was talking to my buddy on the phone while he was driving his solo exhaust truck and the exhaust was very prominent over the phone. It did sound really good on the outside of the truck.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:03 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't have it on my truck anymore due to needing funds for other obligations but I had the Solo Mach X Dual system on my ecoboost for a while and thought it was perfect. Nice deep tone on start up and acceleration and absolutely no drone at cruising speeds. If I ever put an exhaust on again I would get the same thing. Build quality was second to none.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:01 PM

I already have an Airaid intake and livernois tune. Will I see any additional performance increases with either of these cat backs?

This is like the hardest decision of my life. I have literally watched every YouTube video. It would be a lot More helpful to hear one in person
Old 01-05-2014, 07:44 PM

Received 179 Likes on 143 Posts

Videos will not do an exhaust justice. Any interior video you've heard will sound 10x louder in person. Post up when you make your decision.

Trending Topics

Old 01-05-2014, 07:51 PM

My problem Is solo mach dual because of how awesome it looks..and stainless works because of sound. Why can't tgey both look and sound good?

I'm leaning toward solo. But ya ill post a video but it'll be on my phone like all the rest on YouTube

Quick Reply: Stainless Works or Solo catback??