Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

SR80 Trans Test Port for temp sender install

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6R80 Trans Test Port for temp sender install

I planning on installing a trans temp guage to monitor during long and heavy hauls. I am have trouble finding a location to plug in to my tranny. I am hoping someone here knows where the location of a test port is. I could put the sending unit in the cooler lines, but I think I will get a better read from the pan. Any ideas? 2014 F150 STX 5.0L

Last edited by DMBUSSELL1; 11-09-2016 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:52 PM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

My 2011 has a trans temp gauge in the IP. With a digital readout if you push a couple of buttons.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:40 AM

Received 716 Likes on 492 Posts

The STX trim doesn't have a digital readout, just the very delayed dummy gauge, you could swap out to a cluster from a higher trim to gain this feature, or just install a sending unit as you already plan to.

I wonder if you could just the threaded dipstick hole as off the top of my head I can't think of a test port on the 6R80. Personally I would just drop the pan and weld on a threaded bung for the temp sensor, and maybe a drain bung while I was at it depending on how low I was able to mount the sensor.

You could also just use something like a scangauge, or an SCT tuner to monitor the trans temp data pid, a tuner with a custom tune really makes a huge difference in these trucks so there's an added benefit if you go that route.
The following users liked this post:
DMBUSSELL1 (11-30-2016)
Old 11-10-2016, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by SALEEN961
The STX trim doesn't have a digital readout, just the very delayed dummy gauge, you could swap out to a cluster from a higher trim to gain this feature, or just install a sending unit as you already plan to.

I wonder if you could just the threaded dipstick hole as off the top of my head I can't think of a test port on the 6R80. Personally I would just drop the pan and weld on a threaded bung for the temp sensor, and maybe a drain bung while I was at it depending on how low I was able to mount the sensor.

You could also just use something like a scangauge, or an SCT tuner to monitor the trans temp data pid, a tuner with a custom tune really makes a huge difference in these trucks so there's an added benefit if you go that route.
Yes, I just have a dummy gauge.

I thought about using the dipstick hole. I was hoping to be able to find/use an existing test port, but this may be a valid route. What difference in temps would I see from using the dipstick port vs. tapping into the cooler liner?

I have an SCT Livewire. There are no PIDS for trans temp in the guage. I can monitor trans temp using Livelink, but I need a computer hooked up to see it.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:39 AM

SALEEN961...If you found a way to monitot trans press through you tuner, please advise, cause I can't figure it out.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:07 AM

Received 398 Likes on 336 Posts

It would be a shame to have to install a temp sender when the truck knows the temp. Couldn't you use a bluetooth OBDII and your phone?
Old 11-10-2016, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Feathermerchant
It would be a shame to have to install a temp sender when the truck knows the temp. Couldn't you use a bluetooth OBDII and your phone?
I'm not sure about the bluetooth. I'm already using my OBDII port for my SCT tuner.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:37 PM

I couldn't find a test port to plug into. I ended up putting a T-fitting in the supply line to the trans oil cooler.