Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

So, I'm at the Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 11:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default So, I'm at the Dealer

So, I'm at the Dealer

Battery is kaput!
CEL light on from Misfire
Service

2012 Eco 31k

No problem battery covered under warranty.
Service no problem

Misfire - interesting talk with the Man. Says it happens often and the reason is too much H2o going through turbos when conditions are right - ( all what we have agreed on here, so far so good).

The fix - cover where water enters - and he agreed this does kill power.

Asked him about changing the spark plugs and gaping to .30 - NO WAY not while under warranty. And per him this will not fix anything.

Asked what he would do if he were me and his answer is "nothing, just know it can happen in certain conditions and under hard acceleration. If it were me, nothing. We have taken trades with people going to 5.0 because MPG not what they expected".

So, will drive on and see of the fall on its face happens again or not I suppose. I really love my truck and the power. Not so worried about MPG. It does good there.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:00 PM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

You could just drill the 1/16" hole where the gunk collects and (I can't believe they won't do it) REPLACE the plugs yourself with SP-534 gapped at .030. The spark plugs have been a major part of the problem and they won't even look at them. I bought new plugs from RockAuto, checked the gap, handed them to the service guy and said do it. This was at 41K with surging every time I pulled my fiver uphill and then started missing badly. The SP-528s were shot and gapped at .040. Problem solved. I will drill the hole when I don't have to lay in snow to do it. Some things are just worth paying for and screw the warranty. $30 for plugs and maybe $80 to have them installed, so for about $110 your truck will be much better.
When he said to cover the source of the water, was he talking intake snorkel or CAC? Covering the intake snorkel would be like pinching your nostrils and holding a hand over your mouth. And the newest TSB from Ford has previous shields being removed and a PCM update to (I think) get into boost a little sooner.

Last edited by SkiSmuggs; 03-24-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:03 PM

your right on all fronts IMHO.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:55 PM

Received 189 Likes on 119 Posts

Yea, what do you mean by cover where the water comes in...?

Water does not come through the IC...Warm moist air condenses in the IC though, how do you cover that?
Old 03-24-2014, 01:57 PM

Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

I'm having a major issue with Ford right now. They've already been told about and fixed the issue you are in for. So they can fix it a little, "better".

I swear to you...I was hoping they had my truck back today----I was going to go buy a 2011 Duramax crew cab 4x4. And now I can't even do that since my truck may not ever be back for a 4 hour job.

I'm willing to lose my 13K dollar collateral just to walk away and into a freaking prius at this point.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by snobdds
Yea, what do you mean by cover where the water comes in...?

Water does not come through the IC...Warm moist air condenses in the IC though, how do you cover that?
CAC

I told them not to touch anything period....will do plugs myself as for now, she has only misfired 1x, so as he said that rainy damp am after driving for hours in rain day before and hammering it flooding the turbos shutting it down 0 bad design for sure

my buddies new SL550 twin turbo doesn't stall
Old 03-24-2014, 02:17 PM

Received 112 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Sweet Ride

Originally Posted by Bigfoot02
CAC

I told them not to touch anything period....will do plugs myself as for now, she has only misfired 1x, so as he said that rainy damp am after driving for hours in rain day before and hammering it flooding the turbos shutting it down 0 bad design for sure

my buddies new SL550 twin turbo doesn't stall
That's the friend I want to get a ride with!
Old 03-24-2014, 02:38 PM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Here is a question, I had the "shudder, fall on your face" happen to me and the dealer reflashed and put the plate over my CAC. Should I drill the hole and remove the plate or just drill the hole and leave the plate?

Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs
You could just drill the 1/16" hole where the gunk collects and (I can't believe they won't do it) REPLACE the plugs yourself with SP-534 gapped at .030. The spark plugs have been a major part of the problem and they won't even look at them. I bought new plugs from RockAuto, checked the gap, handed them to the service guy and said do it. This was at 41K with surging every time I pulled my fiver uphill and then started missing badly. The SP-528s were shot and gapped at .040. Problem solved. I will drill the hole when I don't have to lay in snow to do it. Some things are just worth paying for and screw the warranty. $30 for plugs and maybe $80 to have them installed, so for about $110 your truck will be much better.
When he said to cover the source of the water, was he talking intake snorkel or CAC? Covering the intake snorkel would be like pinching your nostrils and holding a hand over your mouth. And the newest TSB from Ford has previous shields being removed and a PCM update to (I think) get into boost a little sooner.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:53 PM

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts

How do you drive your truck? Easy mostly? How often do you go WOT per drive?

I'm asking because I've been reading about this condensation problems on here all this time and it reminds me of some problems diesel guys were having when I worked service at the local Ford dealership. Clogged EGRs were becoming an issue and the customers response on the most problematic trucks were all the same: "I baby this thing! I don't even tow!"

We noticed the trucks ran hard seemed to never give trouble. I've noticed that many of the tuned Eco guys who spend time at the track report great reliability. I'm thinking if the trucks get ran harder, the condensation will stay sucked out. The problem is the easy driving allowing it to build up, then that overdue WOT punch sucks it in.

Just a guess?
Old 03-24-2014, 05:04 PM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I work at a ford shop and the plugs are done at about 40k if you drive it hard, sold a set to a buddy and the next day he called me saying it was a night and day diff. The issue is every day they get a little more wore out , its not till you replace them till you say wow, why did i wait so long to replace my plugs ! I think replacing a set of plugs every 35k on a $40,000 truck is just a good idea. Lets face it we all want good power and good mpg we change are oil out every 3k to 5k, not 7.5k just saying. As far as the cac issue, im always fighting with the ford guys to offer a petcock upgrade to help with this issue , i think that would be the way to go, change oil drain petcock call it a day.

Quick Reply: So, I'm at the Dealer