Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Smoking at start up

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Smoking at start up

I have an Ecoboost FX4 and I have noticed that my truck smokes (black smoke) for a few seconds after I start it. It also idles a little rough. This all seems to cure itself after it warms up for a minute. Has anyone else noticed similar issues?
Old 10-05-2011, 08:07 PM
Eco-5.0-Eco again

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Black smoke = rich mixture...

Check the tubing around the filter/intake tubing, you might find a hose disconnected. I actually had to use a hose clamp to hold this on the connection. Cured my "searching" idle at start-up. Anytime you have unmetered air, it can cause a rich or lean condition...

Old 10-05-2011, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response. I will definately look for that.

Originally Posted by BlueFlameMetallicFX4
Black smoke = rich mixture...

Check the tubing around the filter/intake tubing, you might find a hose disconnected. I actually had to use a hose clamp to hold this on the connection. Cured my "searching" idle at start-up. Anytime you have unmetered air, it can cause a rich or lean condition...

Old 10-05-2011, 10:53 PM

Received 108 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jgardn1
I have an Ecoboost FX4 and I have noticed that my truck smokes (black smoke) for a few seconds after I start it. It also idles a little rough. This all seems to cure itself after it warms up for a minute. Has anyone else noticed similar issues?
This is normal behavior for the ecoboost. The direct injection adjusts the mixture for fast warmup of the emissions systems and possibly heat the turbos also.
There is a big thread on this somewhere here....
Bumped it for you.

Last edited by dcfluid; 10-05-2011 at 10:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Smoking at start up