Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Sct x4 vs. livewire.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sct x4 vs. livewire.

Which one is truly better? Opinions?
Old 03-26-2014, 08:28 AM
F150Forum Sponsor - SCT Dealer! 614 620-5050

Received 1,084 Likes on 877 Posts

Depends on what you want out a tuner and budget. The Livewire is the higher level model with few more features but the X4 now has some of the most popular features ( like guages ) from the Livewire.
The following users liked this post:
MGD (04-18-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 08:49 AM

Ok so they basically do mostly the same. So for a guy who just wants to use it for pulling a camper I would be fine with the x4. And does the x3 do the same tunes as the x4?
Old 03-26-2014, 08:51 AM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

I believe the X4 may replace the SF3 (3015) rather than the X3. Was it the X3 that didn't have the canned tunes? All will tune your vehicle the same. Livewire will data log without a PC, SF3/X3 require a PC in the vehicle with you as they feed the info to Livewire software on the laptop.
And feel free to correct anything I got wrong.

Last edited by SkiSmuggs; 03-26-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:59 AM

So then I would want the x4. Thanks for the help
Old 03-26-2014, 11:27 AM
F150 Forum

Received 37 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs
I believe the X4 may replace the SF3 (3015) rather than the X3. Was it the X3 that didn't have the canned tunes? All will tune your vehicle the same. Livewire will data log without a PC, SF3/X3 require a PC in the vehicle with you as they feed the info to Livewire software on the laptop.
And feel free to correct anything I got wrong.
SF3 and X3 are the same, for reference...the 3000 is for custom tunes only, the 3015 has pre-loaded canned tunes from SCT, but can also be loaded with custom tunes.

You can load a config file onto a 3000 or 3015 to datalog without a laptop, but it is much easier to plug in the laptop if you have one available.

The X4 seems to blend the best of both worlds in my opinion at a cost savings for the customer.

The LiveLink datalogging software is getting an overhaul soon to better interface with the X4 and LiveWire devices.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions...
The following 2 users liked this post by erick@leadingedgetuning.com:
MGD (04-18-2014), SkiSmuggs (03-26-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 01:11 PM

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

The Livewire is a nice unit, but it's drawback is the touchscreen sensitivity.

It is very poor.

Nice features on it but when trying to do something/make adjustments it can be difficult.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:24 AM

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

I have just recently purchased the X4 and am disappointed for a couple reasons. The unit does NOT have a sleep function so if you plan to mount it (it has a dual T-Slot config) and leave it plugged up, the unit will not power off like the Livewire TS. SCT has a feature request put into engineering but honestly SCT should have included this from the beginning and I would be surprised if it ever does

Also you cannot see the display well wearing polarized sunglasses. I don't know how the Livewire TS does with polarized glasses, can anyone chime in? What is the sense of gauges you can't see?

I have contacted the SCT dealer I purchased from and they are willing to exchange it but for a 300 difference. That is 100 over retail?!?!

I will be trying to sell it and get something else. Maybe I will call SCT and see if they are willing to help out.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:42 AM

Received 196 Likes on 163 Posts

Wink

I have the Livewire. One main reason I decided on it was the gauges. I have it mounted with the suction cup to the windshield. I have it next to the A-pillar and close to the dash. I'm thinking about getting the CTS dash pod with the adapter to mount it over the AC vent like some others have. I use the dial tach. with the ghost needles. I can keep track of the revs when I'm towing, etc.. I use the engine temp read out, and the intake temp read out. They both also show the high and low readings. I agree with the touch screen being a bit finacky (spell check). I do have some difficulty with the whole "touch and flick" thing any way. Not a tech. guy at all. ALso, it freezes up on me from time to time and I can't get any help from tech. support. All they say is "Is it updated?". Other than that I've been really happy with it.
The following users liked this post:
sticker500 (04-18-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 08:51 AM

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Scarlet
I have the Livewire. One main reason I decided on it was the gauges. I have it mounted with the suction cup to the windshield. I have it next to the A-pillar and close to the dash. I'm thinking about getting the CTS dash pod with the adapter to mount it over the AC vent like some others have. I use the dial tach. with the ghost needles. I can keep track of the revs when I'm towing, etc.. I use the engine temp read out, and the intake temp read out. They both also show the high and low readings. I agree with the touch screen being a bit finacky (spell check). I do have some difficulty with the whole "touch and flick" thing any way. Not a tech. guy at all. ALso, it freezes up on me from time to time and I can't get any help from tech. support. All they say is "Is it updated?". Other than that I've been really happy with it.
Can you comment on the readability with Polarized sunglasses?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sct x4 vs. livewire.