Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

SCT Canned Tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 02:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default SCT Canned Tune

I haven't been on the forum in a while and remember there used to be (a year or more ago) a lot of talk around the SCT Canned tunes, but all I'm seeing now is the 5* custom. I gather that is the way to go these days.

I took my SCT tune off when I began having problems with the shudder and now that Ford is officially useless I am going to drill the hole and put the tune back on. Is there any issues with the SCT Canned Tune that made everyone move to the 5* or are they still ok to use?
Old 05-17-2016, 03:22 PM

Received 843 Likes on 495 Posts

Custom tunes always are better than canned due to they use your strategy code. That being said, SCT has made a lot of updates to their canned tunes in the past year and they have gotten better, I actually tried their 91 tune a little bit ago for the hell of it and I was pretty impressed, much better then when I tried a year or so ago. Just make sure you update your SCT device via Internet, if you haven't for a while there will be a ton of updates.

I still run my custom tunes exclusively though
Old 05-19-2016, 09:12 AM

Received 196 Likes on 163 Posts

Yea, a lot of guys baulk at the SCT canned tunes. I for one, like the 93 Perf. tune on my Livewire. I did try the lower octane tune once and it didn't perform nearly as good. And oddly, I can't seem to find a canned "Tow" option anywhere on the Livewire. But I have a 6.2 with 3.73LS rear, not an Ecoboost. It feels much nicer and shifts tighter than the stock tune for sure. That being said, yes, Custom tunes are far better for sure. I have Performance and Tow tunes from 5* and MPT. For comparison of the Custom Performance tunes, my 93P from 5* gets me better gas mileage than the 93P from MPT. But the SCT 93P canned tune gets me the best mpg overall. For Performance of the 93P tunes I have, It's hard for me to tell which is better between 5* and the MPT. I like them both. They apply the power differently. The 5* tune has extremely quick throttle response and applies the power in a rather short stroke of the peddle. Meaning, by about 1/2 throttle it's all there. Any more throttle than that and it's a waste. For my MPT 93P tune, Although throttle response is still quick, the MPT applies the power more gradually. So I have more of a "Throttle Pedal Range". It takes it to about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle to be all there.

Last edited by Scarlet; 05-19-2016 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:16 AM
Some guy

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,280 Posts

I didn't really notice any difference from stock when I used a canned tune at all. Last week I put a 5star tune on my truck and that changed everything. It takes off from a stop now and shifts with more nuts.

Quick Reply: SCT Canned Tune