Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

SCT 91 tuned ecoboost boost drop???

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 03:23 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default SCT 91 tuned ecoboost boost drop???

I have a 2013 F150 max tow ecoboost. At 11,000 miles I installed a sct livewire ts with sct 91 octane tune. After installing it I noticed my wot boost was 17-18psi. Over the last few months or approximately 10k miles I rarely ever get my usual 17-18 psi under wot. It may peak for just a second to high 16s- low 17s & then immediately falls to 13-14 under wot. Every once in awhile though ill still get my normal 17-18 psi to hold... Any ideas what could be causing this because the performance loss is definitely noticeable. I replaced the air filter & spark plugs with the motorcraft iridiums at 38k. I now have 45k. Right after I replaced the plugs I noticed I was getting it to hold the boost again but then it seemed like the next time I drove it that it started losing it again...
Old 03-08-2015, 12:54 PM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Check your inlet and outlet pipes on the IC. One of my inlet pipes was sliding off under boost because of the oil making it slick. It was very noticeable as on hills it used to hold 6th it would have to downshift to 5th. Just looking at the pipe it wouldn't appear as if mine was leaking...but I could grab it and slide it right off the IC. Look for an oil buildup in those connection areas, could point to a leak
Old 03-08-2015, 01:53 PM

Received 146 Likes on 130 Posts

You said the last couple of months. It very well could be pulling boost due to the crappy winter gas. I would speculate that once summer gas is back out it will come back up.

Other than that I would follow the advice above and if that is not it then I would check your BOV for any tears.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:52 PM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by maplelakeduckslayer
Check your inlet and outlet pipes on the IC. One of my inlet pipes was sliding off under boost because of the oil making it slick. It was very noticeable as on hills it used to hold 6th it would have to downshift to 5th. Just looking at the pipe it wouldn't appear as if mine was leaking...but I could grab it and slide it right off the IC. Look for an oil buildup in those connection areas, could point to a leak
How did you fix this Mr. Maple man?
Old 03-09-2015, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by zx12-iowa
How did you fix this Mr. Maple man?

I removed both hot side pipes and cleaned them up really good, tightened them back down. Also got contractor grade hose clamps instead of the factory ones once I put the aFe on...I tried tightening the factory clamp very tight and it broke.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:58 PM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by BRONCMAN
I have a 2013 F150 max tow ecoboost. At 11,000 miles I installed a sct livewire ts with sct 91 octane tune. After installing it I noticed my wot boost was 17-18psi. Over the last few months or approximately 10k miles I rarely ever get my usual 17-18 psi under wot. It may peak for just a second to high 16s- low 17s & then immediately falls to 13-14 under wot. Every once in awhile though ill still get my normal 17-18 psi to hold... Any ideas what could be causing this because the performance loss is definitely noticeable. I replaced the air filter & spark plugs with the motorcraft iridiums at 38k. I now have 45k. Right after I replaced the plugs I noticed I was getting it to hold the boost again but then it seemed like the next time I drove it that it started losing it again...
Simple. The problem is the non-datalogged, conservative, potentially unsafe canned tune.

What are yer misfire counts?

The tablet Moses dropped said: 11. "Thou shalt NEVER run a canned aftermarket tune on a Boosted vehicle.".

MGD
Old 03-10-2015, 12:46 AM

Thanks! I will check the intercooler piping tomorrow.... No misfires MGD...
Old 03-10-2015, 11:06 AM

Thanks! I will check the intercooler piping tomorrow.... No misfires MGD...

Could possibly be issues with the chain as well. I will see how much better mine runs when I get it back end of the week. But a bad chain makes everything go haywire
Old 10-15-2015, 08:14 PM

Im hoping I finally figured this out... I upgraded to some custom tunes from Mike @ 5 star but was still seeing about the same boost numbers. About a week ago my truck started making a weird squealing noise under higher boost. I was thinking I either had a bad turbo or a blown exhaust manifold gasket... Upon further research last night I found that the electronic blow off valve on the intercooler is becoming an issue on tuned trucks with the diaphram tearing. Sure enough, I pulled mine out earlier & it had a small tear in it. I am picking up a new one tomorrow from the dealer for $110 & will report back. Hopefully it fixes the issue...
The following users liked this post:
Sirikenewtron (10-15-2015)
Old 10-15-2015, 08:21 PM

Received 844 Likes on 495 Posts

Im hoping I finally figured this out... I upgraded to some custom tunes from Mike @ 5 star but was still seeing about the same boost numbers. About a week ago my truck started making a weird squealing noise under higher boost. I was thinking I either had a bad turbo or a blown exhaust manifold gasket... Upon further research last night I found that the electronic blow off valve on the intercooler is becoming an issue on tuned trucks with the diaphram tearing. Sure enough, I pulled mine out earlier & it had a small tear in it. I am picking up a new one tomorrow from the dealer for $110 & will report back. Hopefully it fixes the issue...
Thanks for the update man!!

Quick Reply: SCT 91 tuned ecoboost boost drop???