Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Rx Catch Can results

Old 05-18-2014, 09:40 PM
Paint Polishing Guru

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Rx Catch Can results

I was a bit shocked at the amount of fluids that it caught! Here in Utah we have a fairly dry RH (humidity). Roger and I put this can it about one month ago and I'll bet there have been a 1000miles driven in that time. Here in a few weeks I'll be doing a lot of driving and hope to report back again. To think this crap is being "burnt up" back in the engine is concerning. I'm guessing it caught about 4oz? That bottle is 16oz

Cheers,
Greg
Attached Thumbnails Rx Catch Can results-rxcc.jpg  
Old 05-18-2014, 09:55 PM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

All have said the same for theirs when they drain them. Nasty stuff just put it in a old oil jug marked used oil for Walmart recycle guys. Extra effort pays. Lol.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:33 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Send it to Blackstone and see whats in there
Old 05-19-2014, 12:25 AM
Love My Eco

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Here's a stupid question. Do i really need a Catch can? i live in south east Alabama, never had an issue with oil or don't believe the condensation problem either, but who know's i work on my truck, but i'm not a tech by any means.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:49 AM

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Reflections Detail
I was a bit shocked at the amount of fluids that it caught! Here in Utah we have a fairly dry RH (humidity). Roger and I put this can it about one month ago and I'll bet there have been a 1000miles driven in that time. Here in a few weeks I'll be doing a lot of driving and hope to report back again. To think this crap is being "burnt up" back in the engine is concerning. I'm guessing it caught about 4oz? That bottle is 16oz

Cheers,
Greg
which motor do you have?
Old 05-19-2014, 07:19 AM
Just Another Member

Received 187 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by 19KFX4
Here's a stupid question. Do i really need a Catch can? i live in south east Alabama, never had an issue with oil or don't believe the condensation problem either, but who know's i work on my truck, but i'm not a tech by any means.
Not a stupid question at all. You do NOT "need" a catch can. Personally, if I had no issues with my truck, I wouldn't mess with it. You'll hear differently on here and other sites, from catch can fans and fear mongers who post pictures of damaged pistons and other engine components to scare you into thinking you need one. Some of those photos that have been posted on here don't even come from Fords, much less F-150 Ecoboosts, but they are doing a good job of selling the catch cans.

The catch cans DO work as advertised, collecting moisture and what not from the PCV system, but contrary to the fear mongers, they are not necessary or they would have been included from the factory as part of the many millions of dollars that Ford spent on engineering the Ecoboost. There are over 500,000 3.5L Ecoboost-powered F-150s on the road, plus who knows how many smaller Ecoboosts running around globally. You think a company like Ford would stake its future on a engine technology and overlook a supposed "flaw" like the one the catch can is supposed to fix? Something that would add probably less than $15 in parts to the cost of the engine if it were necessary?

Finally, think about this. The catch cans that require you drill into the plumbing of the PCV and air intake system will void your warranty. If they didn't, the sellers of these cans wouldn't be so quick to also sell you plug kits to cover your tracks if you have to take the truck in for warranty work. An aftermarket CAI may or may not void your warranty, an aftermarket exhaust may or may not void your warranty, even a tune may not void your warranty. But go drilling into the PCV system and see what happens.
The following 2 users liked this post by Theocoog:
19KFX4 (05-19-2014), itguy08 (05-19-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 09:18 AM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

No. From what I have read 99.9% dont need one either.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tothemax:
19KFX4 (05-19-2014), itguy08 (05-19-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 10:13 AM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

There not needed but certainly help. Ford isn't going to spend the money on this item cause the side effects of it wouldn't happen until after your warranty is up so they don't care what happens after that.

For less than $200 it's good insurance if you ask me. Oil in fuel lowers octane ratings which can be very harmful to the tuned guys that are pushing the limit of the fuel there tuned for.

I put one on my truck about 1000-1500 miles ago, truck had 15K in the clock before I added it and last I checked it didn't have but 3-4 drops of oil in it.

Wayne
Old 05-19-2014, 11:48 AM

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Theocoog
Not a stupid question at all. You do NOT "need" a catch can. Personally, if I had no issues with my truck, I wouldn't mess with it. You'll hear differently on here and other sites, from catch can fans and fear mongers who post pictures of damaged pistons and other engine components to scare you into thinking you need one. Some of those photos that have been posted on here don't even come from Fords, much less F-150 Ecoboosts, but they are doing a good job of selling the catch cans.

The catch cans DO work as advertised, collecting moisture and what not from the PCV system, but contrary to the fear mongers, they are not necessary or they would have been included from the factory as part of the many millions of dollars that Ford spent on engineering the Ecoboost. There are over 500,000 3.5L Ecoboost-powered F-150s on the road, plus who knows how many smaller Ecoboosts running around globally. You think a company like Ford would stake its future on a engine technology and overlook a supposed "flaw" like the one the catch can is supposed to fix? Something that would add probably less than $15 in parts to the cost of the engine if it were necessary?

Finally, think about this. The catch cans that require you drill into the plumbing of the PCV and air intake system will void your warranty. If they didn't, the sellers of these cans wouldn't be so quick to also sell you plug kits to cover your tracks if you have to take the truck in for warranty work. An aftermarket CAI may or may not void your warranty, an aftermarket exhaust may or may not void your warranty, even a tune may not void your warranty. But go drilling into the PCV system and see what happens.
There is alot of baseless content in this post. Do some research please..
Old 05-19-2014, 11:57 AM

Received 1,556 Likes on 990 Posts

Here's a stupid question. Do i really need a Catch can? ...
For starters, I believe the “ugly gunk” to be mostly a mixture of oil (mist in the crankcase pulled or pushed out) and water (normal combustion byproduct leaked past rings), with a smaller amount of fuel and other trace compounds.

Let’s break down some numbers. The OP captured about 4 oz of liquid in 1000 miles. In that same 1000 miles, the engine consumed about 7500 oz of liquid fuel. Most of the catch can “gunk” is combustible and will burn along the fuel. Your engine will also consume about 1800 oz of atmospheric moisture in that time. Therefore, the “ugly gunk” only consitutes about 0.04% of the total water and hydrocarbon liquids ingested by the engine. During that same time, the engine processed about 130,000 oz of air. The same math reveals that the “ugly gunk” is only about 0.003% of the total mass consumed by the engine, about 30 ppm, or 6 drops in a bucket. Those are pretty low numbers.

Just keep in mind that most, if not all, of the road vehicles manufactured in the last 30+ years pull PCV products into the inlet air stream. The F-150 is not unique in that regard. The OEM’s needed to process vapors from the crankcase somehow and figured the best place to send them is the incinerator.
The following 5 users liked this post by engineermike:
itguy08 (05-19-2014), MadocHandyman (05-19-2014), Poelma (09-14-2014), rtofter (05-16-2016), Tothemax (05-19-2014)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rx Catch Can results