Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Roush or Edelbrock Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 08:48 PM
Evil. Big. Oil.

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Roush or Edelbrock Supercharger

Hey all,

I know there are a few threads on here covering this topic, but they have mostly deteriorated into pissing matches, so my apologies for starting another. I hope it doesn't go that route. I have a 5.0, I like it, and I'm not buying a 6.2l or an damn Ecoboost. Now that we have that out of the way...

I don't race my truck, and I don't want anything crazy, but I am shopping superchargers. I don't want to open the engine or make any other major modifications. Torque is as important as horsepower to me. I tow a boat during the warm months, but I wouldn't mind flogging a few of the local rice burners. Also, I don't care what it looks like, my hood is normally closed.

Imagine if Ford was to release another Lightning F-150 this year...that's what I'm going for, supercharged, fast, but reasonable. Hell, I'd like to keep the stock exhaust and intake if possible.

Given those parameters, I've narrowed it down to those two superchargers (if there is another "kit" out there, feel free to let me know). I'm just hoping to hear from anyone who has experience with either one, good or bad. Ease of installation, noise, power, reliability, mileage (when not stepping into it)....etc.

Roush is, well, it's Roush. They partner with Ford and their reputation is pretty damn good. I like the dual 60mm throttle body design, though it might be overkill for my needs. Edelbrock has never done me wrong (my boat's 350 runs Edelbrock), and I really like the inverted design of the E-Force supercharger. Long runners make sense to me, and it looks very factory. I've been pricing and both seem to be around 6k, so I'm really at a loss as to which one I would prefer.

While on topic...I'd love any shops you could recommend in Tulsa, OKC, Wichita, KC, or Denver...as those re my closest cities.

Thanks!
Old 02-13-2014, 09:19 PM
Blown Member

Received 185 Likes on 152 Posts

They both look like they are good superchargers. There are a few that have the roush and I have not heard anything bad about them. I have not heard of anyone running the edelbrock but that is the one I would lean toward. First, I like the design with the long runners. Second, I like the supercharger that generates heat on the bottom closer to the engine and the intercooler on the top farther away from the engine heat. Third, I read the installation instructions on both a few months ago and the roush has you grind off some standoffs on you timing cover where as the edelbrock has you tap threads into 2 of the standoffs. Bottom line it looks like you can remove the edelbrock and put it back stock without having to replace any factory parts. To remove the roush and go back stock you have to replace the front timing cover because you need those standoffs you ground off.

Just my 2 cents.
The following users liked this post:
Daximus (02-13-2014)
Old 02-13-2014, 09:23 PM
Evil. Big. Oil.

Originally Posted by LTNBOLT
They both look like they are good superchargers. There are a few that have the roush and I have not heard anything bad about them. I have not heard of anyone running the edelbrock but that is the one I would lean toward. First, I like the design with the long runners. Second, I like the supercharger that generates heat on the bottom closer to the engine and the intercooler on the top farther away from the engine heat. Third, I read the installation instructions on both a few months ago and the roush has you grind off some standoffs on you timing cover where as the edelbrock has you tap threads into 2 of the standoffs. Bottom line it looks like you can remove the edelbrock and put it back stock without having to replace any factory parts. To remove the roush and go back stock you have to replace the front timing cover because you need those standoffs you ground off.

Just my 2 cents.
Thanks...I was just digging through the PDFs as well and a caught that part about front cover modification on the Roush.

Also, is it me, or does the Roush completely replace the radiator while the Edelbrock has a separate water to air intercooler?
Old 02-13-2014, 10:00 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LTNBOLT

Just my 2 cents.
Now that's a great post.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:36 PM

Received 118 Likes on 102 Posts

I have not really seen anybody post that they have the Edelbrock, but on the Roush some have stated that their tune could use some revising and is not the best. If I was to go with a supercharger the Edelbrock would be the one I would get.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:51 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Roush TVS kit for sure.

If you liked a challange then bolt a 5.0 Stang Whipple
On there. Might need to rig it to run thou. That's what IDE do.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:03 PM
Unofficial Glass Guru

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

why not a Procharger?
Old 02-13-2014, 11:38 PM

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I don't believe it's possible to get the whipple from the stang to work... The air inlet is right where the brake booster sits... Wish whipple would just make one for the f150
Old 02-13-2014, 11:52 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah you would need to make a 45* add on elbow to bring the TB parallel with the head unit.

I heard there's a kit coming for the buck 5 ohhh.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:23 AM
Evil. Big. Oil.

Originally Posted by Commander316
why not a Procharger?
Hadn't looked into it honestly. I know enough to be dangerous about modern superchargers, hadn't come across that one...yet.

Quick Reply: Roush or Edelbrock Supercharger