Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Received my 5startuning.com 3.7 custom tunes in today!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 03:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Received my 5startuning.com 3.7 custom tunes in today!

i placed my order with randy and mike before work yesterday morning and told them what i wanted and expressed to them i am leaving town on friday so i need the item quick. he took my order, did my tunes and shipped it out the same day. i paid the small fee to have them ship it for 1 day shipping. i came back home from work TODAY (roughly 29 hours later for lunch) and find my SCT X3 tuner behinding behind a flower pot near my door. talk about, fast service.

i placed an order for the 87 economy, 87 peformance/tow, and 91 performance/tow.

i loaded the 87 performance/tow first and took her out for a spin. immediately noticed that the shift points are different and the motor likes to stay around the first TQ hike up which is 2200rpms on the 3.7. and it won't go into 6th gear at 40ish miles an hour anymore like it did. and with all this to boot, its pulling harder with the same foot pressure on the gas pedal. i'm only assuming its getting better mileage because most people will have to hit it harder to get the acceleration they want out of it.

the air box seems as it its way better than the 5.4 i had. i can recall somebody saying the 5.4 stock box has the tube only being like 2 inches at the point where the air actually goes in. the box on the new motors already sound like CAI's.

on the way to the airport today i drove there on the 87 performance/tow tune and i got a 22MPG average driving at 70mph with the whole family loaded. i also am running 10% ethanol gas from on base. (this is about a little better than stock)

on the way back from the airport, i loaded the economy tune. i averaged 24MPG on the way back and the truck just seems as if its just having a much easier time turning. and this is on a 40 mile one way trip.

won't use the 91 performance/tow tune until i tow my race car on a dollie/trailer to the race track on the 30th for "ford vs chevy" night.

A+++++ for randy and mike at www.5startuning.com

the only thing i'm going to wonder now is, with the weight of the truck plus about the 5700lbs max towing and loading the entire family in the truck edging the max combined weight of 11,100 will only limited or just pull it easier. i'm sure only states super safe limits.

anybody with the 3.7 motors and is wondering about the tune, i'd get it and enjoy it. its awesome and i don't think anybody else is doing the 3.7 tunes yet for the f150 but too many for the mustang but is too different.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:09 PM
greyxlt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear its worth the dough. I emaile them a while ago but decided to hold off until I got a few more miles. The delayed reaponse because of drive by wire is a little feustrating but once you get it does go. I average 18 mpg 50/50 city/hwy....real city not town with a full size screw and when motivated can get over 21mpg hwy with up and down grades. The tune does sound promising ~ might just make it a christmas present. By then I'll have over 10k and hopefully any mechanical issues would have been resolved...hopefully. Just worried about warranty.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by nicholas321greyxlt
Good to hear its worth the dough. I emaile them a while ago but decided to hold off until I got a few more miles. The delayed reaponse because of drive by wire is a little feustrating but once you get it does go. I average 18 mpg 50/50 city/hwy....real city not town with a full size screw and when motivated can get over 21mpg hwy with up and down grades. The tune does sound promising ~ might just make it a christmas present. By then I'll have over 10k and hopefully any mechanical issues would have been resolved...hopefully. Just worried about warranty.

i spoke with both dealers around me and they both said that a tuner alone will not void the warranty. they said a good tuning company will only set parameters that won't effect the safe limits. however, they both said if something came down to it, the black box will tell them how you were driving the vehicle. if your somebody who drives at 100% throttle all the time, and drag racing it then they might considering voiding it if you blow the motor. but if your smart and don't abuse the vehicle, i doubt you'll blown it.

both dealer have said (warranty advisers) the 3.7 has been an almost trouble free motor and almost no warranty work has come back to ford yet. they said the EB and 5.0 have had all the problems with the motor. i would have faith you got a great motor and just do it.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by xoliex

i spoke with both dealers around me and they both said that a tuner alone will not void the warranty. they said a good tuning company will only set parameters that won't effect the safe limits. however, they both said if something came down to it, the black box will tell them how you were driving the vehicle. if your somebody who drives at 100% throttle all the time, and drag racing it then they might considering voiding it if you blow the motor. but if your smart and don't abuse the vehicle, i doubt you'll blown it.

both dealer have said (warranty advisers) the 3.7 has been an almost trouble free motor and almost no warranty work has come back to ford yet. they said the EB and 5.0 have had all the problems with the motor. i would have faith you got a great motor and just do it.
But but but ... omg your warranty!!!! Sorry, I felt this thread would be incomplete without some QQ over the warranty even though you talked to your dealer.

Quick Reply: Received my 5startuning.com 3.7 custom tunes in today!