Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Quiet EcoBoost Performance Exhaust & Air Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Quiet EcoBoost Performance Exhaust & Air Intake?

I’ve found that I really enjoy the peace and quiet of my excellent new F-150 Ecoboost. I have motorcycles with aftermarket exhaust, air filter, ecu tuning, suspension, etc. When I want to make noise and go fast, I have options. But never one to leave well enough alone, I would like to make some changes (when $$$ is available) that improve MPG and everyday drivability but keep added noise to a minimum.

On the air intake side, I think a closed airbox is the way to go for me. I could keep it stock (with or without a drop-in filter), go with Volant which has closed airbox (Buellracer has a nice review on the forum) or perhaps go with an aFe “Stage 2” with optional Intake Cover (looks like it could still be loud and $$$). If you know of other options, please let me know.

For exhaust, I’ve not heard any exhaust systems on an EcoBoost in person. It’s hard to tell from YouTube but I’m afraid most of them are louder than I want and some of them just plain sound horrible. Is anyone making a quiet system that performs better than stock?
Old 03-21-2012, 02:06 PM

Received 270 Likes on 191 Posts

Well I have a 5.0 but just ordered the bully dog intake that is a covered top so I'll let you know how loud it is on my truck, if that might help.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:12 PM
B-52 Chief

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My single 3"MBRP system is not very loud at all. I thought based off the youtube video I watched and other reviews it would be louder. I don't believe any video is going to accurately depict the sound...
Old 03-21-2012, 02:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I asked the same question several months ago about quietest exhaust as coming from my 7.3 Powerstroke I'm loving the quiet of my EB. General consensus I was told... Can't get more performance without more noise and the more the performance, the more the noise. End of story.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:19 PM
F150 Forum

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Especially on turbo engines. They are like hairdryers and when opened up, really make a lot of noise.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by ajusa.com
Especially on turbo engines. They are like hairdryers and when opened up, really make a lot of noise.
On my last truck (03 Dodge Hemi) I went with a huge Magnaflow, the largest, longest one they made to keep the db levels down and it worked. No drone, nice idle, really didn't hear it at steady throttle on highway and only a nice low rumble under load and at WOT.

I know, I know, the EcoBoost is never ever going to sound like a V8 and I don't have any experience with a turbo'd, VVT V6. But are we saying there is no combination of muffler, resonator, j-pipe, whatever, that will flow well and still be somewhat quiet?
Old 03-21-2012, 03:29 PM
F150 Forum

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

It is entirely possible to have a quiet, high flow system. The guy you want to talk to, Keith at BAM exhaust. http://dirtydeedsindustries.com/exhaust.html
Old 03-21-2012, 03:34 PM

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

Break out the pocket book and call burns mufflers
Old 03-21-2012, 05:16 PM

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

Solo Performance has an Exhaust solution that might work for you, this is the same one I'm looking at as I too want a quiet exhaust. Take a look at the thread below.

https://www.f150forum.com/f37/group-...142086/index3/
Old 03-21-2012, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Viking1204
Solo Performance has an Exhaust solution that might work for you, this is the same one I'm looking at as I too want a quiet exhaust. Take a look at the thread below.

https://www.f150forum.com/f37/group-...142086/index3/
I subscribed to that thread. I'll be watching to see & hear how the Solo System with the Mach46 muffler works out.

I also have email into http://dirtydeedsindustries.com/exhaust.html to see what they have.

Quick Reply: Quiet EcoBoost Performance Exhaust & Air Intake?