Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Quick startups

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 11:43 AM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Default Quick startups

So I have a general engine question.

Does starting up a motor and shutting it off within a few seconds or mins harm the motor? I often move my truck in at night. When I start it I try and let it run for a min before moving it and shutting it off.

I let it run for longer times when its cold out. I try to avoid this practice when I can but it happens.

Thoughts, comments?
Old 05-09-2014, 12:01 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Even if you have a brand new truck placed in your driveway and never start it, eventually things will begin to fail. Rust, corrosion, decay and rot will set in. In enough time (a very long time) nature will reclaim it and there will be no evidence it was ever there. Starting the engine will speed up this process, but is not considered abuse and does not void the warranty. The sooner you stop the engine, the sooner you stop the wear and go back to the long life expectancy.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:35 PM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,317 Posts

Originally Posted by Legendsk
Even if you have a brand new truck placed in your driveway and never start it, eventually things will begin to fail. Rust, corrosion, decay and rot will set in. In enough time (a very long time) nature will reclaim it and there will be no evidence it was ever there. Starting the engine will speed up this process, but is not considered abuse and does not void the warranty. The sooner you stop the engine, the sooner you stop the wear and go back to the long life expectancy.
I picked up a philosophical vibe from this line..
Old 05-09-2014, 06:02 PM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

Well I think the better answer is the most wear on an engine, assuming it operates well, happens on start up. Oil is not yet flowing. So doing this will wear an engine faster. That said, oil leaves a coating so only leaving the truck for quite a while and then starting would cause this type of wear. So shutting it of for a few hours is not a major accelerating wear factor.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:06 AM

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

What you need is an auxiliary electric oil pump that you can turn on for a few minutes prior to starting the engine..like railroad locomotives have, eliminating 'dry' startups.

Quick Reply: Quick startups