Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Question for Ham Radio Ops & F-150's

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 11:22 AM
oldphart

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Question for Ham Radio Ops & F-150's

A few months ago, there was a note here on the forum from somebody about the placement of a ham radio antenna on a Ford F-150. They commented that the manuel advised against placement of an antenna on the drivers side of the bed. I have searched my literature and cannot find any mention of this.....however, i had installed a Tarheel #300 on the left side inside the bed to the raer near the tailgate........ and have had terrible satisfaction performance from it. While Fords are notoriuos for noise at the antenna froma running engine due to the in-tank fuel pumps, .... the ambient noise is still terrible. Is the answer to relocate it to the passenger side or abandon it and reattach the old Hustler masts? ( Using Icom 706 Mk ll )
Truck is 2011 Screw w/ 3.7 engine & 6 speed auto)
TNX es 73/ KA3DRO
Old 09-26-2011, 11:39 AM

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Default I have/had no issues

I recently traded my 2010 for a 2011 and haven't yet mounted my ham antenna(s).

In these parts, we have great repeater coverage, so I'll normally resort to just one of my HTs.

Anyway...
I had no issues with my 2010, but my antenna was on the passenger side, using a Breedlove stake pocket mount in the pocket closest to the cab. Sometimes I'd use a simple mag mount on the roof, depending on which band I was working.

I normally had zero noise, so I guess the noise suppression in my rigs are pretty decent.

REP Design has many mounting options for pickups:
http://www.repdesign.us/gpage28.html

Edit: this thread isn't engine-specific, and should likely be moved(?)

Last edited by 46233; 09-26-2011 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Possible thread move?
Old 09-26-2011, 01:35 PM
oldphart

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Editor.... OK to relocate this thread.......

I meant to post in the 2011 "GENERAL" info area anyway! sorry for my error.......

Quick Reply: Question for Ham Radio Ops & F-150's