Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Puzzled and dismayed

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 08:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Puzzled and dismayed

• Well today is exactly one week since my 1800 mile 5.0L SCREW dropped a valve busted#7 piston and rod went through the block while at idle.Ford rep left a message today stating he understands new engine has not arrived and svc mgr at my dealer confirmed it's on a freight truck somewhere in transit to them.I expected the holiday would cause delays but where do they warehouse them? Anyhow as I've had more time to not enjoy my new truck purchased 7-18-14 I can't help but wonder how I'm so lucky!! Svc mgr said pan was full of pieces of metal from above it.Could timing chain have been cause of all this? Rep has offered extension of warranty but didn't mention time just mileage.I need to address that with him don't you think? I really bought the 5.0 version thinking it was "more tried and true" but look at me now! To make an understatement the more I think and wait the more I become really disappointed in the quality control involved ! I know this kinda thing happens as I'm in sales myself but it's really embarrassing too! Anybody got more ideas?? Thanx for any input you guys may have.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:51 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Not trying to be an *** here. The subject of the 3.5l and the 5.0l failure has been beaten to death. These do happen.Mass produced items all will have a failure rate. It's unfortunate that you are in that very small number. Hope all works out for you.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:22 PM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

Custom built engines have a higher failure rate than the manufactured engines - possibly due to the fact that most of them are being raced.
Things happen, parts fail.
Ford quality control is good - perfect???-no.
You got one of the few that does not run forever.
The 5.0 (new version to the trucks) and the 3.5L were both introduced about the same time.
If either of these was more tried and true, it was the 3.5L Ecoboost.
Ask for and get whatever warranty extension they will offer.
Then just enjoy your truck.
It will be a good one as compared to the other brands.
The following 2 users liked this post by joe mcmillan:
vacarman02 (09-04-2014), vozaday (09-11-2014)
Old 09-03-2014, 10:39 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

The quality of any vehicle (and/or component thereof) is only as good as the supplier that provided the worst quality part.

*The failure of a small, inexpensive part can have catastrophic effects on a significant component. In racing as an example, it's not uncommon to have (say) a $2 part cause the failure of a $50,000+ engine.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:49 PM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

Dropping a valve is mostly due to a valve spring breaking, then the valve keepers fly off and the valve is than ready to take out the piston. The spring failure is usually a heat treat problem. It may have been the first one removed from the oven or the last. Even installed height may have caused it.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:38 AM

Received 270 Likes on 191 Posts

My engine is bone stock internally but is making over 700hp and shows no signs of slowing down. Your problem is a freak issue which is way they offer warranties in the first place.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:42 PM
Engineer

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

There are hundreds of thousands of 5.0s running around that are just fine. A failure like this at 1,800mi is just a freak like others have said is why warranties exist...to cover manufacturing defects which this appears to be.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default puzzled and dismayed (Made HAPPY AGAIN!)

Got my new Screw back this AM with brand new Coyote purring .Can't say enough about my dealer being super through all of this.It was like I was taking first time delivery all over again .Service mgr drove it home to check it out last night to reduce chances of any suprises.Had it washed and full of gas when I picked it up. Ready to turn some "lap" time breaking it in!
Old 09-11-2014, 01:31 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by vacarman02
Got my new Screw back this AM with brand new Coyote purring .Can't say enough about my dealer being super through all of this.It was like I was taking first time delivery all over again .Service mgr drove it home to check it out last night to reduce chances of any suprises.Had it washed and full of gas when I picked it up. Ready to turn some "lap" time breaking it in!
Fantastic news, vacarman02! Be sure to give me a shout if there's anything I can help with in the future.

Crystal
Old 09-11-2014, 02:46 PM

Received 118 Likes on 91 Posts

Did they say long the swap took?

Good to hear you have it back.

Quick Reply: Puzzled and dismayed