Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Purge Valve Evap System Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purge Valve Evap System Mystery

My 2011 Ecoboost has thrown two check engine codes saying the purge valve system is only operating "intermittenly" while boosting. My dealer replaced the system after the first warning. I was not happy about having to drop the fuel tank on a truck with 3k miles on it.

Last Saturday, the truck threw the same code. The dealer is perplexed and so is Ford. They are sending an engineer out on Monday to diagnose the problem.

Anyone else had this problem?
Old 08-12-2011, 09:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry you are having problems like this, know how frustrating it can be. Curious, what were te symptoms that led you to have it diagnosed to find the thrown codes? Subscribing...............
Old 08-13-2011, 06:51 AM
Eco-5.0-Eco again

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been through this on other vehicles. I highly doubt that the dealer "replaced the system" or dropped your gas tank, even though they told you so...hence, the code again.

There's a couple of things that cause the ECM to throw a code involving the evap system. Most likely there's a vacuum leak somewhere between the gas tank and one of the solenoids. Or, one of the solenoids are bad...straight from the factory. This is an emissions related issue and does not affect your engine's performance.

Two things that solved the problem in the past for me; empty the gas tank and create a vacuum setting - conduct a smoke test on the tank and all lines. Or replace all the solenoids involving the evap system.

What's frustrating about this issue is that unless your dealing with an experienced mechanic, it's going to take a couple times before it is resolved.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:00 AM

Thanks for the info. If they didn't actually drop the fuel tank, then that's a very good thing. I was disappointed to have to do that so early in the truck's life.

Yesterday, my check engine light came on again. Not sure if this is coincidence or not, but it seems to come on at the same spot on the same road beneath a bunch of power lines. This is the third warning light in as many weeks.

Truck goes to my dealer tomorrow for the engineer to take a look. I informed the GM of the dealership that this dude is not authorized to "tinker" around on my truck. I don't trust corporate guys...no offense if you're corporate
Old 08-14-2011, 10:41 AM
Eco-5.0-Eco again

The only advice I can give you is to be patient. If it affects any emission testing in your state, remind the sevice "manager" of this, maybe they will take it a little more serious. This is one of those problems that most mechanics do not deal with and do what's easiest to fix (probably resetting the ecm in your case). Although "mechanics" have an ASE (which is a joke) certification, nothing can beat life experience when recognizing a problem and fixing it.

Good luck...let me know what happens.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:09 PM

BlueFlame - Got a call from dealer saying they have conquered the problem. The "engineer" knew right were to go and it's fixed

The tubes that connect to the Purge Valve have debris in them from the factory. All they needed to do was overnight the tubes from Detroit, install them and the problem is solved.

If the "engineer" knew about this problem, why did he come all the way out to look at my truck instead of telling the service dept. what to do over the phone? Secondly, why is the factory putting dirty tubes with debris in them on new trucks during assembly?

I smell bull**** and I don't like it. I am sending Detroit a nice little package of my own...a certified letter demanding they fix this truck or replace it. I really like that new Lariat Limited, but will settle for a Platinum. I have spent over $100k with Ford Motor Co. this year alone and I don't like driving Chevy's from Enterprise Rent-a-car.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:29 PM
Rok

Received 142 Likes on 98 Posts

ROFL! Demanding a new truck after an issue they fixed? Your crazy! I could see being upset. But you aint getting a new truck!
Old 08-16-2011, 01:36 PM

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by FenderPicker
BlueFlame - Got a call from dealer saying they have conquered the problem. The "engineer" knew right were to go and it's fixed

The tubes that connect to the Purge Valve have debris in them from the factory. All they needed to do was overnight the tubes from Detroit, install them and the problem is solved.

If the "engineer" knew about this problem, why did he come all the way out to look at my truck instead of telling the service dept. what to do over the phone? Secondly, why is the factory putting dirty tubes with debris in them on new trucks during assembly?

I smell bull**** and I don't like it. I am sending Detroit a nice little package of my own...a certified letter demanding they fix this truck or replace it. I really like that new Lariat Limited, but will settle for a Platinum. I have spent over $100k with Ford Motor Co. this year alone and I don't like driving Chevy's from Enterprise Rent-a-car.
sending them a letter will do nothing. they consider the problem fixed and even if it is not, they will not be replacing the truck and certainly wont be replacing it with an upgrade.

remember, this is the same company that ran risk analysis on the pinto and decided not to fix the problem.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:43 PM
Eco-5.0-Eco again

Yes it does sound like BS, they probably had an master mechanic from another dealer fix it. (that's what dealers tend to do these days)

And debris? that means the purge valve and any solenoids could have been contaminated/damaged. So if the light comes on again, ask them if them if they replaced any of these items.

I wouldn't be too upset, could have been worse...
Old 08-16-2011, 04:06 PM
Eco-5.0-Eco again

Originally Posted by 11screw50
sending them a letter will do nothing. they consider the problem fixed and even if it is not, they will not be replacing the truck and certainly wont be replacing it with an upgrade.

remember, this is the same company that ran risk analysis on the pinto and decided not to fix the problem.
I'm gonna bet that most of the members on this board do not even know what a Pinto is!!! LOL That's some old school talk there!!!

Quick Reply: Purge Valve Evap System Mystery