Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Post TSB Power Loss Confirmed Via Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 09:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Post TSB Power Loss Confirmed Via Dyno

I own a 2012 F150 4x4 SCrew XLT 3.5 Eco 3.73 gears. Recap:
  • June 2012 (18000km): Misfire of 3 Cylinders, TSB 13-3-3 Performed CAC replaced, Drivers side CAT replaced, shield installed. Noticeable loss of power afterwards. Cust service & dealer notified.
  • Sept 2013 (24000km): 2nd oil changed, dealer & cust service notified again. TSB 13-01-10 , PCM reflashed again. No difference in power from TSB 13-3-3 flash.
  • Oct 2013 (25000km): Truck dyno'd on a Mustang Dyno. Roughly 20% power loss when compared against same model of truck, same year, same dyno that did not have any TSB performed (original 2012 programming).

Dyno Results
My Truck:
210.8 HP @ 4603 RPM, 94.8 MPH
250.0 lb/ft @ 3802 RPM, 77.9MPH

Controlled Comparison:
253.6 HP @ 4654, 95.6 MPH
310.5 lb/ft @ 3046, 63.0 MPH

That is a (negative) difference in power of:

Hp: -16.9%
Tq: -19.49%

I have a dealer visit tomorrow for a test drive with the foreman. I will update following this. I will attach the dyno sheets.
Attached Thumbnails Post TSB Power Loss Confirmed Via Dyno-dyno.jpg   Post TSB Power Loss Confirmed Via Dyno-dyno2.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by Biggreen318:
Half_ton (10-09-2013), ns_redneck (01-23-2014), pprior (10-11-2013)
Old 10-09-2013, 10:00 AM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,317 Posts

That's huge!! You'd totally feel that loss of power..
Old 10-09-2013, 10:05 AM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

I was a little off but all along saying my truck felt like it had 25% less power.

Unfortunately...they aren't going to do anything for you. They just won't. They will say different times of year the dyno was run, etc etc.

Just go aftermarket tune unfortunately thats the only way to get it back. If you still have warranty try and get them to honor the warranty after you install a custom tune.

I don't know what Ford thought they could pull but when you tow as much as I do the drop in power is as subtle as a kick in the face.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:08 AM

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

Did you in fact feel the difference? I'd imagine you did and Kudos to you for doing a before and after dyno. As I posted in my first reply to you in the other thread expect the dealership to try and wiggle out of that one with some nonsense tech talk.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Azuri
Did you in fact feel the difference? I'd imagine you did and Kudos to you for doing a before and after dyno. As I posted in my first reply to you in the other thread expect the dealership to try and wiggle out of that one with some nonsense tech talk.
I noticed the power loss immediately after TSB 13-3-3 was performed. As did my GF who drove the truck back from the dealer. There was also a noticeable difference in the way the transmission performs. The engine braking down shifts in tow mode/cruise were a lot smoother but the torque convert does not lock up as quickly. Also, it does not seem to downshift as easy. I have to press the pedal a lot harder to get it to downshift.

Originally Posted by maplelakeduckslayer
I was a little off but all along saying my truck felt like it had 25% less power.

Unfortunately...they aren't going to do anything for you. They just won't. They will say different times of year the dyno was run, etc etc.

Just go aftermarket tune unfortunately thats the only way to get it back. If you still have warranty try and get them to honor the warranty after you install a custom tune.

I don't know what Ford thought they could pull but when you tow as much as I do the drop in power is as subtle as a kick in the face.
I hope they will pull through to help. I paid for power.

Last edited by Biggreen318; 10-09-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:26 AM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggreen318
I noticed the power loss immediately after TSB 13-3-3 was performed. As did my GF who drove the truck back from the dealer.

I hope they will pull through to help. I paid for power.
Not being an *** but they are not going to...I have dealt with it since Nov of 2011. I paid for power too as I tow a lot...and when the truck went from downshifting to 5th gear up a hill before they messed with it to downshifting to 4th gear on the same hill...it was blatently obvious. Save yourself the headache that I gave myself and just invest in a tune. If you want power and a more driveable truck just do it. There are several tuners but only a few that have the Eco really dialed in. I went with Southern Speed Inc.

Honestly, you have a dyno several months apart...on different trucks. Different trucks themselves can have huge variances in power. This gives Ford way too many excuses.

Trust me I believe you that your truck had a huge drop in power, mine did too. They just aren't going to do anything for you. Theres nothing that can be done its in the programming. Only thing you can do is get different programming.
The following users liked this post:
johndeerefarmer (10-09-2013)
Old 10-09-2013, 10:44 AM
POWWWERRR!!!!!

Received 167 Likes on 116 Posts

Not to start an Eco vs 5.0 thread but it seems like those new power levels are weaker than the 5.0 now. I mean it's lost 60 lb.ft. Of torque and about 50hp.

Before hand there was only 5hp advantage and a 40lb.ft. Torque advantage(crank numbers are different I know). But still, that's a substantial loss

Very interesting find.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by maplelakeduckslayer
Save yourself the headache that I gave myself and just invest in a tune.
I recognize your point but would prefer not to jeopardize my warranty. I cannot afford costly repairs. I have to give FoMoCo an opportunity to repair or fix the issue. It is only fair.

Originally Posted by dieselhunter44
Very interesting find.
I am hoping others with the same issue are willing to dyno their truck to check. Not all people with the TSB have reported a power loss. I am curious as to why that is. They are all receiving the same flash. It is possible that the intercooler, when replaced, was installed incorrectly.

Does anyone remember if the turbos are before or after the intercooler? i.e. is the intercooler pressurized and could possibly leak boost?
Old 10-09-2013, 11:01 AM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

Unfortunately, folks have been counting on Ford to fix the problem and it is easier and more satisfying to fix it yourself with a good tune and possibly an aftermarket IC. That is the route I took and I love my truck.
The "Shudder Proof your EcoBoost" thread has some good info. Were I to get a 2013+ EB today, I would tune and replace the IC within the first couple of months, warranty be damned.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:11 AM

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

In theory the shield reduces the condensation in the intercooler by reducing it's efficiency. There for raising the IC out temperature. A cooler air charge increases power, warmer charge reduces power. Who knows what the computer re-flash does.

Doesn't sound like a fix, it sounds like a work around.

I feel for you guys.

Quick Reply: Post TSB Power Loss Confirmed Via Dyno