Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Positive SSI Review - 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 10:26 AM

Received 112 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Positive SSI Review - 5.0

I recently tested two iterations of a tune for the 5.0L which will be released as Gen 8. I received and email asking me to try the two and critique them. While I have been pleased overall with the performance and service I have received, I have always felt there was room for improvement in the transmission department. Shifts to date have been quick and delivered a good driving experience however they were not equal in feel or firmness. The other hang up I have always had with the transmission is the torque reduction in 3rd and 4th gear. It feels very similar to sipping into overdrive. With this recent iteration of tune SSI has done an excellent job of turning this 6spd slush box into a very precise machine. I tested each iteration for 30 minutes putting it through the paces, stop and go, WOT, freeway cruising and my transmission temps never exceeded 204*. I asked for something "hotter" than the 2 iteration tune. I prefer a more aggressive tip in and run 93 octane exclusively. Shawn delivered. From start to finish I spent about an hour with him on the phone. He was nice enough to explain some of the tables he has been working with which have tremendously offset the torque reduction under acceleration. I'm not going to tell you this is the best, most powerful tune to date. I don't know that, but I can tell you this has been the most pleasurable to drive thus far.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:57 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Anything you say, means nothing

Originally Posted by violinguy77
I recently tested two iterations of a tune for the 5.0L which will be released as Gen 8. I received and email asking me to try the two and critique them. While I have been pleased overall with the performance and service I have received, I have always felt there was room for improvement in the transmission department. Shifts to date have been quick and delivered a good driving experience however they were not equal in feel or firmness. The other hang up I have always had with the transmission is the torque reduction in 3rd and 4th gear. It feels very similar to sipping into overdrive. With this recent iteration of tune SSI has done an excellent job of turning this 6spd slush box into a very precise machine. I tested each iteration for 30 minutes putting it through the paces, stop and go, WOT, freeway cruising and my transmission temps never exceeded 204*. I asked for something "hotter" than the 2 iteration tune. I prefer a more aggressive tip in and run 93 octane exclusively. Shawn delivered. From start to finish I spent about an hour with him on the phone. He was nice enough to explain some of the tables he has been working with which have tremendously offset the torque reduction under acceleration. I'm not going to tell you this is the best, most powerful tune to date. I don't know that, but I can tell you this has been the most pleasurable to drive thus far.

I have read many of your posts. You have defended Shawn and SSI to the max.
Almost to the point of thinking you have a vested interest or you are Shawn? These are my observations, and MHO.

I also feel that you have done way more harm than good. It is you that has turned me off of tuning my 5.0.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:30 PM

Received 209 Likes on 166 Posts

Now this is just funnier than ****!

Let's see, in the other thread he says he received an email to try Gen 5 (for free), now he gets an email to try Gen 8 (for free) and he says he doesn't have any ties to Shawn or the business. Whatever!

You fan boys still don't understand the damage you are doing!

Let the fun continue only under a different name.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:56 PM

Default Incorrect

Originally Posted by funmoneypit150
Now this is just funnier than ****!

Let's see, in the other thread he says he received an email to try Gen 5 (for free), now he gets an email to try Gen 8 (for free) and he says he doesn't have any ties to Shawn or the business. Whatever!

You fan boys still don't understand the damage you are doing!

Let the fun continue only under a different name.
I simply want the best tune for my vehicle. I am not involved in the business and I have never claimed anything to be free. Testing is one thing. I still pay for the tune I want. I paid for the final iteration of Gen 4. I paid for the final iteration of Gen 5. I paid for the final iteration of Gen 6. I will be paying for the final version of Gen 8 once it is done to my liking. I have done this in every scenario with SSI. Yes I have been able to test a few. Shawn and I go back and forth and when it is done, I pay my $75 and drive on my merry way.
The following users liked this post:
brucesears (05-10-2015)
Old 05-08-2015, 02:09 PM

Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by Steve62
I have read many of your posts. You have defended Shawn and SSI to the max.
Almost to the point of thinking you have a vested interest or you are Shawn? These are my observations, and MHO.

I also feel that you have done way more harm than good. It is you that has turned me off of tuning my 5.0.
I don't understand what you mean by this and I don't think you have the right person in mind. I have never called out a member for not taking care of their truck or not understanding something. I don't bash them because they didn't follow protocol. I don't make a comment on the persons vehicle maintenance because I don't know them. I don't know what their experience was other than what is voiced on the forum. you simply could have PMd your statement to me but instead you elected to post a completely non-constructive response. And then Funmoneypit comes over here and completely disrespects this new thread. Why? He has a thread of disappointment to comment in. Tell you what, go find me complaining anywhere on this forum about the **** poor crap tune I ran from 5* and the utter lack of response I got from the company. Slamming from 1-2 gear and telling me "that's how its supposed to be". How about the wildly swinging knock and the intermittent ping under load at RPM. I didn't bad mouth Mike, his company, or any of the other customers experience. I moved on, tried another tune.
Seriously, search all of my threads. You won't find a single bad remark about 5*. I've said it before and I'll say it again. To each his own. I guarantee you will find me stating this several times.
But to hop on here and post like an ***, totally unnecessary and dis-respectful.
brucesears (05-10-2015)
Old 05-08-2015, 02:56 PM

Received 209 Likes on 166 Posts

I don't understand what you mean by this and I don't think you have the right person in mind. I have never called out a member for not taking care of their truck or not understanding something. I don't bash them because they didn't follow protocol. I don't make a comment on the persons vehicle maintenance because I don't know them. I don't know what their experience was other than what is voiced on the forum. you simply could have PMd your statement to me but instead you elected to post a completely non-constructive response. And then Funmoneypit comes over here and completely disrespects this new thread. Why? He has a thread of disappointment to comment in. Tell you what, go find me complaining anywhere on this forum about the **** poor crap tune I ran from 5* and the utter lack of response I got from the company. Slamming from 1-2 gear and telling me "that's how its supposed to be". How about the wildly swinging knock and the intermittent ping under load at RPM. I didn't bad mouth Mike, his company, or any of the other customers experience. I moved on, tried another tune.
Seriously, search all of my threads. You won't find a single bad remark about 5*. I've said it before and I'll say it again. To each his own. I guarantee you will find me stating this several times.
But to hop on here and post like an ***, totally unnecessary and dis-respectful.

Here are some of your useful comments from the other thread.

You came back 2 months later to bring this up?
Why are you so bitter? Jesus you sound like a little kid that dropped his ice cream on the ground. Reminds me of the Eddie Murphy skit. You had a bad experience, That was you, not the rest of the planet. Get over yourself. This isn't some national, multi chain vendor, it's one dude YOU had an issue with. He didn't meet your needs, fine, put your big boy pants on and move on. You know why you are really pissed? Because it didn't work out for you. SSI has the fastest trucks hands down and you hate sucking their tail lights. Tell that to the hundreds of other guys and gals that are enjoying their tunes every day. Ford has had hundreds of ecoboost motors with the condensation issue, some that spit their guts out in the middle of the road. There is a slew of 5.0s with warped cylinder walls. You going to bad mouth Ford too and tell everyone what a bad company they are? Ford hasn't fixed every ones problem and there are quite a few that have a lot more to be pissed about than you my friend. But waa waa waa your tune never worked out, Shawn hurt your feelings, your mom pissed in your cheerios. Man people like you make me vomit. The glass is always half empty. Life sucks. Really man it just sucks to be you and it sucks that you can't move on from it. Gosh you must lie awake at might fuming about this. I bet you chew your nails at work and stare at your truck just WISHING it could be sooooooooooooooooooo much better. Yea I run SSI, who cares. I got a 5.0, runs awesome, i've heard all the same drama on the phone. Difference is, I don't care. I can't wait for you to come back on the forum and tell us about how your non-tuned motor went boom. Then I might be sympathetic, for now though you are just pathetic. Get over your self.
I call I whiner when I see one and this guy is a whiner. I mean seriously what other motive could he have? Is he thew internet sheriff protecting the poor suckers on the interwebs? Whatever man. It's one thing to post a review, it's another to continue to bad mouth a product he knows nothing about. It's like he is saying there is no room for improvement. No one can learn from their mistakes and once you make a mistake you are always a mistake. Nah. I have just as much right to come on here and say it like it is and this guy is a punk looking stir the pot pure and simple. All he has is the past and a chip on his shoulder.
As for moving on, I would reserve that comment for the OP that merely likes to poke the bear. I will continue to negate his ignorant statements as long as this thread remains open.
'Merica!
Why are you so butt hurt again?

#summerseve

As far as me disrespecting this thread, I just posted an observation. As you state, I can post as long as the thread is open.

'Merica!

Peace out!
Old 05-08-2015, 03:18 PM

Default Derp

Originally Posted by funmoneypit150
Here are some of your useful comments from the other thread.

As far as me disrespecting this thread, I just posted an observation. As you state, I can post as long as the thread is open.

'Merica!

Peace out!
You just proved my point. I stand behind my rebuttals. In the first rebuttal the guy starts in with an emotional post applying broad sweeping generalizations to an entire forum and its platform. The truth is his experience is limited to his own and a few others. Not thousands, not even hundreds of people. And it's a 2 month old thread. I don't think calling someone a whiner is disrespectful especially if it is on point and in topic. This thread was not intended to be a sticky for off topic and pointless comments. It is a "review". But alas this is the open internet, the last of the wild west if you will. "Anyone can post anytime". If you are going to behave like an *** in something that is intended for the exchange of ideas and information (not emotions) than I have no issue simply reiterating what was already advertised, hence rebuttal 3. And I will concede that the final rebuttal was "disrespectful" in a manner of sorts. A terrible jest. "Poking the bear, antagonizing the antagonist" I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me. This shame is only mine to bear. I will keep this in mind as I make future posts. Thank you for your wisdom and insight.
Merica'
Old 05-08-2015, 04:02 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Figured this would happen. One is not allowed to post positive experiences (like I have had) with SSi and the tunes we run from them. Tough crowd... thing is, anyone that has a large customer base is going to have some unsatisfied/unhappy customers. You tune 1400 EB trucks and keep improving the tunes that will happen. I remember well jumping in to defend Manny at HPP when he tuned my '93 Turbo Coupe with an FAST XFI and the disgruntled said I was crazy. Same thing with Johnny Lightning and my fully built, Kenne Bell blown '03 HD truck he built/tuned. Or Chris Johnson. Or Mike Murillo. Or... they all had their detractors. They all were very dedicated to improving the breed and taking some risks--so is Shawn.
brucesears (05-11-2015)
Old 05-08-2015, 09:32 PM
Cowboy of the Skies

Received 167 Likes on 134 Posts

Next time i stay at a Holiday inn express should i pay extra for a suite and better view?
And what should i get on my baked tater if i have a tater with my steak that night?
Is it okay if i use Armorall on my dash.....or will it affect my engines tuner box?
Lastly....is Miley going to be bringing out a new twerking video soon....i sure hope so....her tush is nice!
Old 05-09-2015, 02:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow this is still open I thought this forum only kept negative reviews open on SSI. Well pretty sure yall will close this one to. Good luck OP I read really good things about the SSI tunes they seem to kick all the others butt!!!!!! In my own opinion....
brucesears (05-10-2015)

Quick Reply: Positive SSI Review - 5.0