Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Po151

Old 12-19-2015, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Po151

My 2011 f150 with 3.5 ecoboost check engine light came on after a couple of hard accelerations with misfires last night. I have never had a code before but have noticed some misfires form time to time under hard acceleration. The scan tool says it has code P0151 which is "oxygen sensor circuit low voltage bank 2 sensor 1". Which o2 sensor is this and how do I find it? Is there any other possible causes? Truck has 52K on it and so far has run good except for the occasional full throttle misfire.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:00 PM

Received 842 Likes on 495 Posts

Are you running a tune, if so dose it do this on stock tune?
Old 12-19-2015, 07:09 PM

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Plugs? Have you drilled cac?
Old 12-19-2015, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sirikenewtron
Are you running a tune, if so dose it do this on stock tune?
No it is all stock.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by ecoboost clark
Plugs? Have you drilled cac?
Original plugs and nothing drilled yet. Should I start with replacing O2 sensor? Where is bank 2 sensor 1?

Thanks
Old 12-24-2015, 02:09 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Do a Systematic Diagnosis First

dmarkjohn1, I recommend you do a very systematic approach.

On new electronic controlled systems you have diagnose what caused the fault code and conditions. Based upon what you posted, you may have two separate conditions:

1. Misfire under acceleration. The trend I have seen here in this forum is the OEM Motorcraft platinum plugs do not make it anywhere near there supposed 100K service life interval. The 3.5L turbo-charge motors appear to shorten their life considerably. I have seen recommendations to change then every 50K miles. For this problem I would recommend you remove and replace the plugs with Motorcraft SP534 plugs and gap then at .030 to .032 inches.

2. code P0151 "oxygen sensor circuit low voltage bank 2 sensor 1". This appears to be A low voltage for O2 sensor heater. According to the Ford ODB II diagnostic system description in the link below, the PCM only samples the heater voltage one time per drive cycle so keep this in mind when troubleshooting.

https://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/diagnostics/pdf/OBDSM1300.pdf

To determine where and which sensor, look at the info posted in the link below:
http://www.f150forumz.com/showthread.php?t=524

Good luck!

- Mike
Old 12-24-2015, 04:31 PM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

That is the drivers side sensor in front of the catalytic converter. My truck threw the same code earlier in the fall. Replaced and no more code. I don't think it's coincidence this is happening on the drivers side bank because that's the side that always showed issues with plugs and coils from the moisture ingestion, and that's the side where the cats were getting knocked out from moisture ingestion.

I haven't been able to confirm 100% but I believe the cats are clogging up from this moisture ingestion causing misfires, limiting exhaust flow and causing the sensors to get plugged up, throwing this low voltage code.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rdrunner-Mike
dmarkjohn1, I recommend you do a very systematic approach.

On new electronic controlled systems you have diagnose what caused the fault code and conditions. Based upon what you posted, you may have two separate conditions:

1. Misfire under acceleration. The trend I have seen here in this forum is the OEM Motorcraft platinum plugs do not make it anywhere near there supposed 100K service life interval. The 3.5L turbo-charge motors appear to shorten their life considerably. I have seen recommendations to change then every 50K miles. For this problem I would recommend you remove and replace the plugs with Motorcraft SP534 plugs and gap then at .030 to .032 inches.

2. code P0151 "oxygen sensor circuit low voltage bank 2 sensor 1". This appears to be A low voltage for O2 sensor heater. According to the Ford ODB II diagnostic system description in the link below, the PCM only samples the heater voltage one time per drive cycle so keep this in mind when troubleshooting.

https://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/diagnostics/pdf/OBDSM1300.pdf

To determine where and which sensor, look at the info posted in the link below:
http://www.f150forumz.com/showthread.php?t=524

Good luck!

- Mike
Thanks to all who responded. Here is an update-
I replaced drivers side upstream O2 sensor and the check engine light went out. I was still getting misfire and flashing check engine light at hard acceleration. Last night I changed plugs and plug boots to the SP534 plugs gapped at .030. Also I removed the CAC and cleaned about 2 oz of brown gunk out of it. Took for test drive and now it runs like new with no problems.

My problem was likely the plugs were bad which fouled the O2 sensor. I'll be keeping an eye on things to see if any problems return but I am thankful for those on this forum who helped me get this fixed without having to take to the shop and likely saved a large repair bill!
Old 02-14-2020, 02:01 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not familiar with the acronym "CAC", can someone explain? Thanks
Old 02-14-2020, 05:14 PM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ACTIV68-69
I'm not familiar with the acronym "CAC", can someone explain? Thanks
Charge-Air-Cooled (aka intercooler)
The following users liked this post:
ACTIV68-69 (02-22-2020)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Po151