Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

place to run wires thru firewall

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 02:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default place to run wires thru firewall

on my ecoboost the only place i see to run power wires thru the firewall is low down on the driver side close to the left turbo. I hate to have the turbo melt the insulation off of my wires. Has anybody found another place to get wires thru from cab to engine compartment?
Old 08-27-2011, 03:04 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Go search in the stereo section and see installs people have done and you will see everyone uses almost the exact same spot every time to get the power wire through the firewall.

Passenger side firewall about half way down is a VERY large grommet with a large wiring harness going through it. At the top of that grommet is a rubber nipple. If you cut a hole in that nipple or cut it off completely, you will be able to put almost any size wire through it.

Then if you take off the lower trim panel about where a passengers right foot would sit in the truck, you can shine a flashlight up in there and see right where it comes through and reach up and grab it.

Not hard to do, one of the easier vehicles I've found to get wires from engine bay to passenger compartment.
The following users liked this post:
roxbury29 (05-22-2015)
Old 08-30-2011, 09:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

thanks

I had a hard time getting four 12 gauge thru the little hole so had to split it open with a knife but other than that no trouble
Old 12-09-2013, 07:27 PM

Received 304 Likes on 178 Posts

Sub'd
Old 12-09-2013, 07:54 PM

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts

I ran the wires for my meth kit through the drivers side grommet, I just fished them behind the fabric on the fire wall
Old 12-10-2013, 07:40 PM

Received 270 Likes on 191 Posts

I ran my amp power wire behind the passenger side HVAC. It was a little bit of a pain but looks OEM.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:03 PM

Received 325 Likes on 223 Posts

There is a grommet on the passenger side firewall just under the PCM. On that grommet, there is a nipple that can be cut off with a utility knife. The hole that is opened will fit a 4ga wire that is then easily retrieved simply by removing the glove box. You can make a bigger hole if you want to. The grommet is about 1 1/4" in diameter if I recall correctly.

This is a good place as its on the batt side of the engine bay. I can snap a pict in the AM if it would be helpful.
The following users liked this post:
roxbury29 (05-22-2015)
Old 12-11-2013, 09:12 PM
One Bad MoFoMoCo Owner

Received 394 Likes on 259 Posts

Lol, exactly the info Is looking for. Thanks!
Old 02-01-2014, 08:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ran 0 gauge through that nipple. Definitely don't recommend doing that size again unless you need to. it's a struggle and a half seeing as theres really no room to get a utility knife to open it up enough and its soo close to the main wiring harness.

Ended up using a tapered punch and some soapy water to keep running it back and forth. Had to take harness out of car. Plus if you open up the grommet too much with a utility knife it loses that water tight seal and the wiper rain tray lets the water fall right into it from above.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:59 PM

Received 325 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Kid Cruz
Ran 0 gauge through that nipple. Definitely don't recommend doing that size again unless you need to. it's a struggle and a half seeing as theres really no room to get a utility knife to open it up enough and its soo close to the main wiring harness.

Ended up using a tapered punch and some soapy water to keep running it back and forth. Had to take harness out of car. Plus if you open up the grommet too much with a utility knife it loses that water tight seal and the wiper rain tray lets the water fall right into it from above.
A hobby knife/model knife is small enough to get in there as well. Also, I gunked silicone caulk all around the wire to stop any H2O intrusion.

Hole punch is a good idea too.

Quick Reply: place to run wires thru firewall