Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Pinging and rattling 5.0L

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 12:50 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Pinging and rattling 5.0L

Hello All,

Had to take the F1 into the dealership yesterday for a rattling noise that I presumed was a belt tensioner of sorts. Turns out, the tech claims it's pinging caused by the EDGE programmer I have. He says the engine is running lean (I'm running Program 1 for economy which is believable)but that I also have carbon build-up as well. Ordinarily I wouldn't think this strange but I had my truck in the dealership at the first of the year for the notorious 5.0L "knock" (which also still persists) and they recommended the carbon clean then. So two carbon cleans at $170 each within a year!

I guess my question is, does this seem normal? I've had nothing but issues with this motor from day 2 (Day 1 you couldn't have convinced me of any issues as I was on cloud-nine). I love the truck but I'm naturally concerned about longevity.

Your thoughts are appreciated. And if there are any Ford Reps lurking, your input would be appreciated as well!

JB
Old 10-31-2013, 12:54 AM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,317 Posts

Interesting. Very interesting indeed.

I have nothing to contribute as I'm not entirely educated on the effects of running lean/rich and what could cause it on a modern engine. But I subbed for the result. I personally think the tune could be part of the problem and I wholeheartedly recommend going back to stock and evaluating it from there.

If you can afford it, I'd trade the POS in. I personally can't afford to trade my problematic 2011 in and I feel like crap because of it. Ford really screwed up on the 2011's.

Last edited by HCFX2013; 10-31-2013 at 12:57 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you are running the recommended octane for the tune. Even if it calls for 87, step it up to the highest available fuel, and see if that fixes your problem. Secondly, excess carbon build up in the combustion chamber can lead to detonation because of the irregularities of heat build up (hot spots). Carbon build up is present when cheap gas is used btw, so change to a more quality fuel.

Last edited by Nitrous347; 10-31-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:50 AM

Received 97 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitrous347
Make sure you are running the recommended octane for the tune. Even if it calls for 87, step it up to the highest available fuel, and see if that fixes your problem. Secondly, excess carbon build up in the combustion chamber can lead to detonation because of the irregularities of heat build up (hot spots). Carbon build up is present when cheap gas is used btw, so change to a more qaulity fuel.
+1. EBs and 5.0s have been known to knock with some tunes. Change gas stations and/or go up one octane level. Maybe just got bad gas.

Or return the tune to stock and see if it goes away.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:40 AM

Great advice all, thank you!
Old 10-31-2013, 11:54 AM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

In addition to gasoline quality, octane, etc. you may want to consider installing an oil catch can - installs inline of the PVC system to catch oil vapors.

PVC oil vapors will lower the octane in the cylinder, and since you're trying to run-on-the-edge of the how-low-can-you-go-octane before the knock sensor can't compensate, this should help.

In addition ... It will/should lower cylinder/head carbon build-up (which raises compression ratio).
Oil Catch Can Benefits ллл -click-

Last edited by gDMJoe; 10-31-2013 at 12:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by gDMJoe:
BigBearLittleBear (03-11-2016), Squash1247 (10-31-2013)
Old 11-01-2013, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by gDMJoe
In addition to gasoline quality, octane, etc. you may want to consider installing an oil catch can - installs inline of the PVC system to catch oil vapors.

PVC oil vapors will lower the octane in the cylinder, and since you're trying to run-on-the-edge of the how-low-can-you-go-octane before the knock sensor can't compensate, this should help.

In addition ... It will/should lower cylinder/head carbon build-up (which raises compression ratio).
Oil Catch Can Benefits ллл -click-
Thanks for the tip! Do I need a oil catch can on the both the driver side and passenger side? The threads that are on the forum seems to show most people putting these on the passenger side only. What is your recommendation?

JB
Old 11-01-2013, 06:49 PM

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by gDMJoe
In addition to gasoline quality, octane, etc. you may want to consider installing an oil catch can - installs inline of the PVC system to catch oil vapors. PVC oil vapors will lower the octane in the cylinder, and since you're trying to run-on-the-edge of the how-low-can-you-go-octane before the knock sensor can't compensate, this should help. In addition ... It will/should lower cylinder/head carbon build-up (which raises compression ratio). Oil Catch Can Benefits ллл -click- .
Good article. Thanks
Old 11-05-2013, 12:27 PM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

Go back to factory tune before U damage UR motor and put E85 thru it for a couple of tanks.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:24 PM

Received 117 Likes on 65 Posts

I had the same problem with my old chevy 6.2 with the edge in it. I highly recommend to never put it in again and go with a custome tune somewhere else. I'm personally not a fan of Walmart tunes but that's my opinion.

Quick Reply: Pinging and rattling 5.0L