Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Oil smell?? maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 02:35 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Oil smell?? maybe?

2011 EB 2100miles. I did have the FL-2055 put on at 950 miles because I was going to tow right away at 1000miles. Well to get to the point at smell at idle burnt oil or hot oil smell. I only noitced this after I had oil change not before the oil change. I only had 900 miles before the oil chage but I dont ever recall this smell. Before i go poking around the dealer I would ask if anyone else smells this. When I drive a bit and when I stop is when I get the odor. I have check for leaks, check oil level and everything is perfect. I park in a garage and no oil spot. Maybe its something else I smell, any ideas. I thought maybe that got oil on the block or something but I would think it would burn off after the 1000 miles. Could be wrong on that too. Any input at all? My concern is the question on the filter itself. Some say ford is going back to the fl-500s so when I smell oil I was like what the heck. Thanks all and make sure to wish your mom's happpy mothers day tomorrow!!
Old 05-07-2011, 10:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If memory serves someone complained
of this sort of thing a few months ago. Evidently the drain is in a spot that can shoot oil all over the place if you are not careful. That being said if stuff looks clean and you put 100 miles on it since the oil change I would take it back for a
look.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:45 PM

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Here's my experience: brand new FX4 picked it up with 14 miles on it. As I drove it and put more miles on it I started smelling the same thing - oil spilled on a hot manifold smell.

My truck hasn't been serviced since pick up so I started thinking that the engine had an oil leak. I kept inspecting the engine but I couldn't find anything for the life of me. Then I checked the oil level, thinking that with all this "leakage" it might be low. It was way overfull!!!

I pulled the dipstick out, wiped it off and reinserted it and the following reading showed the oil level past the upper "hump" or bend, way past the normal range hash marks and the holes in the stick.

I used my Griots Garage topside oil sucker (inserted in the dipstick tube) to pull what finally ended up being a half quart over. Now that this 1/2 quart is out of the engine and the oil level is where it is supposed to be, finally the smell seems to be going away.

My theory on what happened: these direct injection, turbocharged engines have no tolerance for being overfilled. My '08 Mazdaspeed3 owners manual strictly warned of the perils of an overfilled engine, and so does the manual that comes with the F150. Whereas you can run a little overfull on a regular port injected naturally aspirated engine and have no ill effects, these new DI turbo'd engine will have problems due in part to their modified PCV system that has to deal with both positive and negative manifold/crankcase pressures.
The MS3 forums are filled with posts concerning smoking turbos and the need for a "catch can" to keep the condensed blowby gases out of the intake etc. It's a regular epic saga over there.

Pretty amazing how a simple 1/2 quart over could wreak such havoc, but think about it: here you have a very busy PCV system that has to handle blow by gases under both + &- crankcase pressures and now you decide to add too much oil and start a possible oil foaming inside the crankcase. My theory is that the PCV system gets totally overwhelmed from the increased volume of gases (or foam for all I know) and it has to go somewhere and some of it winds up outside the engine. So how did the engine get overfilled?
My theory (again) - at the dealer truck is in holding lot and gets moved into make ready dept (you know, where they check the tire pressures and top off lubricants etc). Tech stops engine and checks oil. Because it hasn't drained all the way back down he sees the dipstick reading as a little low, adds about a half quart of oil and sends the truck on it's merry way.
It takes a very long time for all the oil on the top end of the engine to make it's way back into the crankcase to give a true reading of the oil level.

After I changed the oil on my wife's EB Platinum I put only 6 quarts in. According to Ford, when the FL2055 filter is used, the oil capacity is 6.2 quarts instead of 6.0 with the small filter. I drove the truck for a short time and let it sit overnite. Guess what - the oil level was right up to the top of the dipstick hash marks - in other words it was perfect. It never got that last 0.2 quarts added because the dipstick says not to. And she doesn't have that smoke smell.

I'll close by saying that it's amazing that one half quart of oil can raise the oil level so much in these engines, but it does, so take care not to overfill these engines and be dam sure to give the oil plenty of drain back time before even using that dipstick - you may get a false reading. Now if anyone wants to correct me on any of this please feel free to do so, this is a lot of theory on my part, but this has been my experience.

Sorry for the way too long post!
Old 05-08-2011, 10:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amascio
Here's my experience: brand new FX4 picked it up with 14 miles on it. As I drove it and put more miles on it I started smelling the same thing - oil spilled on a hot manifold smell.

My truck hasn't been serviced since pick up so I started thinking that the engine had an oil leak. I kept inspecting the engine but I couldn't find anything for the life of me. Then I checked the oil level, thinking that with all this "leakage" it might be low. It was way overfull!!!

I pulled the dipstick out, wiped it off and reinserted it and the following reading showed the oil level past the upper "hump" or bend, way past the normal range hash marks and the holes in the stick.

I used my Griots Garage topside oil sucker (inserted in the dipstick tube) to pull what finally ended up being a half quart over. Now that this 1/2 quart is out of the engine and the oil level is where it is supposed to be, finally the smell seems to be going away.

My theory on what happened: these direct injection, turbocharged engines have no tolerance for being overfilled. My '08 Mazdaspeed3 owners manual strictly warned of the perils of an overfilled engine, and so does the manual that comes with the F150. Whereas you can run a little overfull on a regular port injected naturally aspirated engine and have no ill effects, these new DI turbo'd engine will have problems due in part to their modified PCV system that has to deal with both positive and negative manifold/crankcase pressures.
The MS3 forums are filled with posts concerning smoking turbos and the need for a "catch can" to keep the condensed blowby gases out of the intake etc. It's a regular epic saga over there.

Pretty amazing how a simple 1/2 quart over could wreak such havoc, but think about it: here you have a very busy PCV system that has to handle blow by gases under both + &- crankcase pressures and now you decide to add too much oil and start a possible oil foaming inside the crankcase. My theory is that the PCV system gets totally overwhelmed from the increased volume of gases (or foam for all I know) and it has to go somewhere and some of it winds up outside the engine. So how did the engine get overfilled?
My theory (again) - at the dealer truck is in holding lot and gets moved into make ready dept (you know, where they check the tire pressures and top off lubricants etc). Tech stops engine and checks oil. Because it hasn't drained all the way back down he sees the dipstick reading as a little low, adds about a half quart of oil and sends the truck on it's merry way.
It takes a very long time for all the oil on the top end of the engine to make it's way back into the crankcase to give a true reading of the oil level.

After I changed the oil on my wife's EB Platinum I put only 6 quarts in. According to Ford, when the FL2055 filter is used, the oil capacity is 6.2 quarts instead of 6.0 with the small filter. I drove the truck for a short time and let it sit overnite. Guess what - the oil level was right up to the top of the dipstick hash marks - in other words it was perfect. It never got that last 0.2 quarts added because the dipstick says not to. And she doesn't have that smoke smell.

I'll close by saying that it's amazing that one half quart of oil can raise the oil level so much in these engines, but it does, so take care not to overfill these engines and be dam sure to give the oil plenty of drain back time before even using that dipstick - you may get a false reading. Now if anyone wants to correct me on any of this please feel free to do so, this is a lot of theory on my part, but this has been my experience.

Interesting to see if the OP's oil was over serviced. Never thought of that ><
Old 05-08-2011, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow 2 trucks and 1 a Platinum! Awesome! I was very concerned about the same thing when I took our home. A strong burnt oil smell. I checked the level after coming home from work, waited a couple of minutes and found the level to be high as you did. Was almost going to call the dealer at that point but looked through the owners manual to see the capacities to maybe just drain a bit myself. The book stated to wait 15 minutes to check from being just driven. So I waited about 15 to 20 and when I rechecked the levels, it was in the normal range. Just got back from Chicago and it still had that oil smell, however I just changed it also with the 2055 so maybe burning some residue but that was a 500 mile trip so...... going to recheck the levels today. I did add the 0.2ish extra during the change. Given what you saw, I'm definately rechecking to make sure I didn't add too much. Checked out fine after the change. What I initially thought was that some oil may be getting blown through the crankcase vent due to the increased pressure from the turbos( just re-read your post and you stated that as well). I agree its pretty much smelled since day 1. Thank you for the post!

Last edited by tzolk; 05-08-2011 at 11:45 AM. Reason: re read quoted post
Old 05-08-2011, 01:53 PM

Default Just to add a little something

While looking under the hood for a possible place that could be leaking oil, my wife noticed that the smell plume could be coming up from the passenger side of the engine past the hood hinge and being sucked into the air intake for the A/C. If this winds up being some sort of leak it will probably be on the pass side of the vehicle. There is no air intake on the drivers side so if the leak was there you'd probably never know because the plume would just pass under the vehicle (my opinion again).

The plot thickens...

PS: I traded in my Mazdaspeed 3 and her '09 Platinum to buy her '11 EB Plat. We wrote a small check with those trade ins and walked away with her new Plat paid for.
But I missed that direct injection turbo rush the MS3 used to give me, and while hanging out on a dealer web site I saw the '11 FX4 EB I have now. Turbos are addictive - Ford would do well to notice that.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:47 PM

Well I check my oil level several times this A.M. It is over the FULL mark! Not over the hump on the dipstick but is over the hash marks. After church i went to a quick lube shop and they look all over the under side for a leak or if oil was on something. They would not remove oil without a full oil change. Unfortunately I drove about 350 miles today to get my travel trailer out of storage. Half that I towed the trailer back home. I hope I'm not screwing up my truck. I smelled the hot oil smell all day. I will be going to dealer tomorrow or Tuesday. All I know is I did not smell this before my 1st service.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the top of the hash marks and not in the top bubble(hole). Pain in the butt dipstick. Its really hard to tell sometimes because there is always some oil on the length of the stick. I liked the yellow plastic dip ends better. I figure if that top hole-just north of the hash marks - is not filled then it is not overly full, not saying there isnt more than necessary though.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:14 AM

Well , I drove my truck quite a bit yesterday and not one instance of smoke smell.
Before I started out, I checked the oil level after the engine sat all night to drain. Oil level was right at top of hash marks, below the upper hole in the dipstick. This is where it will stay from here on out.

These engines probably get the oil pretty hot; I wonder how much the oil expands after reaching full operating temp. Just look at your auto trans oil and how much it expands after getting hot and you'll have an idea.
Could it be that 1) slightly overfilled crankcase + 2) oil expands due to heat = 3) oil getting out of engine or just smelling like it is because the PCV system gets overwhelmed? Then you adjust the oil level to and it takes some time for the smell to go away.

Does this sound right?
Old 05-09-2011, 12:32 PM

Well , I drove my truck quite a bit yesterday and not one instance of smoke smell.
Before I started out, I checked the oil level after the engine sat all night to drain. Oil level was right at top of hash marks, below the upper hole in the dipstick. This is where it will stay from here on out.

These engines probably get the oil pretty hot; I wonder how much the oil expands after reaching full operating temp. Just look at your auto trans oil and how much it expands after getting hot and you'll have an idea.
Could it be that 1) slightly overfilled crankcase + 2) oil expands due to heat = 3) oil getting out of engine or just smelling like it is because the PCV system gets overwhelmed? Then you adjust the oil level to and it takes some time for the smell to go away.

Does this sound right?
Could be. I'm taking mine to the dealer to have it looked over tomorrow. I called them today and they told me they will look it over. I will re-post tomorrow to let ya know what I find out. Thanks for your help. My wife now smells it as well so at least I know it's just not me. Once you smell it you keep telling your self you smell it. It has to be from over fill on the oil. It's the only thing that makes sense.

Quick Reply: Oil smell?? maybe?