Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Oil Separator Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 03:46 PM

Received 482 Likes on 354 Posts

Default Oil Separator Catch Can

I have a question about these things:

From what I have researched, the oil separator catch can thing is a relatively simple device, and not really that expensive to implement. Since they are relatively inexpensive and not difficult at all to engineer and/or install ... AND if they are so "important" and "useful" ... why are auto/engine MFG's not integrating these into the design of their engines to start with?

Not trying to say they are not useful and good ... but it begs the question, don't you think? Maybe someone can sum up what these are really doing, what they are preventing/helping ... and help me get my head around these things?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:52 PM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

My 2 pennys is:

Because it's a devise that could prevents issues after a long time and being as the vehicle will be far out of warranty by the time issues could happen the manufacture isnt worried about it at this point.

Wayne
Old 05-19-2014, 03:58 PM

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

What does a catch can do exactly?
Old 05-19-2014, 04:07 PM

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Wiggum
why are auto/engine MFG's not integrating these into the design of their engines to start with?
Lol, high end manufacturers know all about them. Off the top of my head, some Porsches, BMW's, and Maseratis have some kind of system in place on their motors. The Coyote is known for producing alot of blow-by and that's why IMO it's essential on this motor.

But do the majority of consumers know or care about the difference a separator makes? Doubtful. Does the majority dictate the properties of mass produced cars? Count on it.

If every vehicle ever made included one, the overwhelming majority of people wouldn't empty it. It'd just be another maintenance item that 99% of people neglect. The makers aren't going to blow money on something that only car enthusiasts know about.

There should be a sticky thread about "What is a catch can and what does it do?"

see posts #2 and #4:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250890

Last edited by jgiddy; 05-20-2014 at 03:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Left Plate (05-19-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 11:16 AM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

Yep, if they don't empyt them the system basically reverts back when full an can do nothing. Good nitryl gloves make for a cleaner Exp.

Quick Reply: Oil Separator Catch Can