Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Oil leak on front cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 04:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Oil leak on front cover

With the nice weather in Edmonton I did a cleaning and check up on my truck, and while I was under the hood I noticed a heavy sweat on the passeneger side of the front cover, right under the valve cover, beside the AC compressor. I'm not totally convinced it's oil, as my coolant level is barely at the lower hashmark on the "cold fill" range, however I didn't notice any coolant lines in the area.

Anyone else have a leak like this? Truck is booked in on Monday, hopefully I don't get charged ridiculous "diagnosis" time only for them to tell me it's normal.

Oil leak on front cover-n7rep3v.jpg

Last edited by Honey Boo Boo; 01-22-2015 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:10 AM

Got the truck back from the dealer today. They removed and re-sealed the front cover. Did some digging and found a couple other guys with the exact same oil leak who had it re sealed two times, only to completely replace the front cover as a final fix.

Hoping mine just needed to be re-sealed and that it's not warped or a porous casting.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:53 AM
Eco-5.0-Eco again

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Pretty common area for the leak...glad it got fixed. The dealer didn't want to fix mine until I made them drive it...the oil smell was awful in the cab, then they fixed it. No longer own the Eco, now I'm 5.0...absolutely no problems at all.

Last edited by BlueFlameMetallicFX4; 01-30-2015 at 05:56 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:16 PM

You had an awful smell of oil from that small of a leak? I couldn't smell anything. Were you the one who needed a new front cover?
Old 01-31-2015, 05:49 AM
Eco-5.0-Eco again

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Honey Boo Boo
You had an awful smell of oil from that small of a leak? I couldn't smell anything. Were you the one who needed a new front cover?

What you can't see from that angle is the oil seeping down to the bottom of the cover. Look near your steering rack on the bottom skid plate and check the bottom of the front cover. Mine had puddles of oil all over the place. My cover did not have to be replaced, apparently when the engines were assembled, some of the O-rings may have been pinched on the cover. My eco started leaking from day one, I just didn't notice it until the smell...
Old 02-04-2015, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by BlueFlameMetallicFX4
What you can't see from that angle is the oil seeping down to the bottom of the cover. Look near your steering rack on the bottom skid plate and check the bottom of the front cover. Mine had puddles of oil all over the place. My cover did not have to be replaced, apparently when the engines were assembled, some of the O-rings may have been pinched on the cover. My eco started leaking from day one, I just didn't notice it until the smell...
Got it. I found another guy online that had his back to the dealer twice to reseal the front cover and the final fix was a new cover as the factory one was either warped or porous.

Quick Reply: Oil leak on front cover