Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Not another Upgraded Turbo Thread!

Old 06-14-2013, 12:03 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Not another Upgraded Turbo Thread!

About 8 months ago I commissioned a set of turbos to be made for my Ecoboost F150, they are currently being finished. I'm putting them on my 2011 2wd Texas Edition. Current mods are MAK catless Y-pipe, Stage 2 intake, Snow Performance watermeth kit 75% meth/25% distilled water, AFE stage 2 and custom SCT tune based off of data logs boosting 15psi. I'm picking up a 3" Catback this weekend, and I'm getting the current set up with stock turbos dyno tuned this week, I'll post numbers when I get them.

Info on the turbos:
billet 11 blade with:
56mm exducer
42mm inducer
stock turbine
matched compressor housing.
1 standard rotation, 1 reverse rotation.

These should flow a little better than Garrett GT2860R (because of the more efficient billet 11 blade design), but not as well as a GTX2860R (because of the smaller compressor and turbine housing). We are using the stock fuel system, for a baseline, but will upgrade the low pressure fuel pump with a Walbro 255.

We are going to put them on the truck, install a 3bar map sensor, dyno tune and put some miles on them, but I'm excited!

I can answer generic questions about design, supporting mods, but I will not talk about money, where you can get a set like these, or who made them, these are not for sale...they are one off prototypes. I will update as I get information. Stay tuned
Old 06-14-2013, 12:17 PM

Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

They look AWESOME. I am really anxious to see if the upgraded pump holds up.

Any idea of how much boost these will efficiently provide? And the initial testing will be done on the stock CAC?? That'll be interesting.

Good work.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by 13'TwinScrew
They look AWESOME. I am really anxious to see if the upgraded pump holds up.

Any idea of how much boost these will efficiently provide? And the initial testing will be done on the stock CAC?? That'll be interesting.

Good work.
Thanks! Ya, check out the map for a gt2860r. They will probably flow a little more than that....but these are 100% original, so there is nothing to compare them to, but the dyno will tell the truth. However, at 10 psi these should flow more cfm than 10 psi on the stock turbos...theoretically.

As far as the intercooler, we want to see what it will do, and the real limitations of the stock unit, so we are testing it with these turbos, then up graded and test again. We are running watermeth too, so that helps cool the charge as well.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:38 PM
I LIKE TRUCKS

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Mat Morkin

About 8 months ago I commissioned a set of turbos to be made for my Ecoboost F150, they are currently being finished. I'm putting them on my 2011 2wd Texas Edition. Current mods are MAK catless Y-pipe, Stage 2 intake, Snow Performance watermeth kit 75% meth/25% distilled water, AFE stage 2 and custom SCT tune based off of data logs boosting 15psi. I'm picking up a 3" Catback this weekend, and I'm getting the current set up with stock turbos dyno tuned this week, I'll post numbers when I get them.

Info on the turbos:
billet 11 blade with:
56mm exducer
42mm inducer
stock turbine
matched compressor housing.
1 standard rotation, 1 reverse rotation.

These should flow a little better than Garrett GT2860R (because of the more efficient billet 11 blade design), but not as well as a GTX2860R (because of the smaller compressor and turbine housing). We are using the stock fuel system, for a baseline, but will upgrade the low pressure fuel pump with a Walbro 255.

We are going to put them on the truck, install a 3bar map sensor, dyno tune and put some miles on them, but I'm excited!

I can answer generic questions about design, supporting mods, but I will not talk about money, where you can get a set like these, or who made them, these are not for sale...they are one off prototypes. I will update as I get information. Stay tuned
Can you drive the truck with the turbos off? You should have done like a 0-60 stock turbos then a 0-60 with the new ones to see how much of a difference it makes
Old 06-14-2013, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by southportandford
Can you drive the truck with the turbos off? You should have done like a 0-60 stock turbos then a 0-60 with the new ones to see how much of a difference it makes
We ran a 14.27 with a AFE stage 2 and 93 caned sct flash. Everything else was stock. The dyno will tell us the real difference.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:44 PM

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Mat Morkin

However, at 10 psi these should flow more cfm than 10 psi on the stock turbos...theoretically.
At 10psi of static pressure wouldn't the flow rates be equal, no matter the size of the turbos?

Not arguing, just curious.
The following users liked this post:
bubbabud (06-14-2013)
Old 06-14-2013, 12:45 PM

Received 456 Likes on 280 Posts

Looks like an awesome set up and should be good for some high boost numbers.

Any plans for additional fuel besides the WM kit ? This will be the deciding factor for all of us doing upgraded turbos
Old 06-14-2013, 12:48 PM

Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

^^^What geno51 asked. And isn't 10psi....10psi?
Old 06-14-2013, 01:13 PM
F150 Vendor

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Looking good Mat! Keep up the good Work!

FACEBOOK YOUTUBE TWITTER
Ecoboost Performance Parts from the Pros!
Old 06-14-2013, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by 13'TwinScrew
^^^What geno51 asked. And isn't 10psi....10psi?
No, the cfm @ 10 psi on small turbos is not the same cfm @ 10psi on a larger turbo.

As far as fulling goes. We have been dataloging our truck for about 6 months and the fuel pump is at 47% duty cycle. I see a lot of people saying that it is starting to max out, and I do not disregard what they are saying, but it seems the actual pump is okay. Maybe it can't go above 47%, maybe it will, but at 15psi on stock turbos we are fine. Maybe something else is limiting the flow, but we will find out.

Also, I spoke to my manufacture, the turbos are smaller than the 2860, so I don't really have a comparison right now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Not another Upgraded Turbo Thread!