Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Is it normal for RPM's to Drop During Normal, Steady Acceleration?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 09:00 PM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Default Is it normal for RPM's to Drop During Normal, Steady Acceleration?

My truck has had the misfire, loss of power on acceleration, and now just an overall feeling of having no power.

Since the lastest fixes, the truck seems to behave odd and prior to the fixes I did not feel this before.

During smooth, steady acceleration in 4th gear, the RPM's will waver and then drop by like 300-500 RPM. Like Rpm's will slowly rise to 2500, waver, then drop to 2100 and then keep accelerating.

I have a video but am going to try and get a better one in a bit.

Its weird it feels like the truck downshifts but it stays in 4th gear. I have asked in a couple other long threads but never really got much of a response. I am trying to figure out why my truck is lacking power. I towed a 6x12 enclosed this weekend and I will admit there was a stout headwind, but the truck had to pull it in 4th gear. The truck just feels like it has no power all the time now, towing or not.

Just really want my truck to run right, dealer is great but is claiming Ford is not allowing them to help.

If anybody can confirm if this is normal or not that'd be great. I'm onna run and try and get a video in about half hour to post up.

Thanks
Old 04-16-2013, 09:05 PM

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Sounds like the converter locking up.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:43 PM

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

Tc lockup
Old 04-17-2013, 01:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 13's torque converter locks up in 3rd gear when the tranny is above 105 degrees. This causes a drop in rpm depending on throttle input. Usually 300-500 rpm. Try manual mode.... when you up shift in this mode the tc should lock up instantly if the tranny is up to temp
Old 04-17-2013, 07:49 PM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

I never noticed it prior to all the TSB's being performed, but I guess I have probably been more sensitive to feeling/hearing things as well.

It definitely not light though, feels just like a downshift. Just think I would have noticed that before.

Just trying to get the stupid thing figured out. Just wish it was like the first day I had it Just don't even know where to turn at this point. And to add insult to injury my back bumper already has the paint blasted off the corner and is rusty as a mother...in 20 months. Should have known better than to have painted bumpers in MN
Old 04-17-2013, 08:28 PM

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts

Mine did the same thing a few times when I first bought it, I just chalked it up the the trans learning. But doesn't sound like that's the case with you, as mine hasn't done that after the 2nd week I had it.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:40 PM
One Bad MoFoMoCo Owner

Received 394 Likes on 259 Posts

Definitely the torque convertor. When mine was new, the shifts were crisper and the TQ locking up was pretty firm too. Now, 10k miles more, not so much. Really, everything smoothed out within a couple weeks of driving the truck, as the adaptive transmission learned.

Quick Reply: Is it normal for RPM's to Drop During Normal, Steady Acceleration?