Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Noisy 5.0L

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 11:30 PM

Received 531 Likes on 395 Posts

Default Noisy 5.0L

I recently noticed a noise with my 5.0L. It may be normal but thought I'd ask here. I'm going to let my mechanic listen to it next week.

First of all I never noticed it because I never had a fully warmed up engine while walking outside of the truck while it was still running.

When not fully warmed up and running you can barely hear this knocking sound. The engine compartment noise drowns it out and it's barely detectable. Even after letting it idle 15 minutes after start in this under 30 degree weather, the engine compartment noise was still to loud to hear it.

After the truck is fully warmed up AFTER DRIVING, all the engine compartment noise is gone and you can hear this somewhat quiet knocking. The engine itself is super quiet so you can hear this pronounced knocking now even though it's not very loud.

I know this engine is said to be noisy and I've seen many accounts of people talking about knocking. I've even heard some YouTube 2011/2012 trucks with knocking but there was an inconsistant knocking heard over an engine with all the compartment noise. Or I hear a very loud knocking on their video that is heard over all the engine compartment noise. My knocking is consistant and gets faster when reving the engine. It is also not heard over the engine compartment noise and is only heard after that engine compartment noise is gone.

I'll try to post a video of my noise in the future after a drive. I tried to do it now but the engine compartment noise was so loud, it drowned out the quieter knocking noise I hear.

I really don't know what all this engine compartment noise is that I hear before the engine is fully warmed up but maybe some fans. The revs are down near 500 rpms as it should be after the intial warm up but all of this noise disappears after the engine is fully warmed up and idling.

I'm not a motorhead so I'm not knowledgable on all of this different engine compartment noise but hoping the quieter knocking is just a characteristic of the engine.

Let me restate, the engine must be fully up to temp with the engine temp showing normal. The intial warm up will kick the rpms down to 500 rpms but the engine is still not up to full temp.

Thanks

Last edited by Mike Up; 12-29-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:57 PM
Platinum

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

+1
Old 12-30-2012, 12:03 AM
AutoXer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It may just be your fuel injectors clicking. If everything else is quiet, I can hear them on several of the cars I own.

By your description that's my best guess, but have someone else check it out in person.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:05 AM

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts

Slight noise is normal as the fuel injectors make a bit of noise I noticed it on mine after having it a year brought it in and all was normal. A year later still made same noise. Also check your oil level I have heard if the oil is slightly low you will hear a tap and some 5.0 have been known to burn oil.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:27 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Haven't heard anything on my truck even when in a drive through next to a brick wall. Both my previous Audi 2.0t engine and my previous Tacoma 4.0 v6 were more tappety/noisy than my 5.0. Have 5500 miles on the truck now and haven't noticed anything abnormal.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:04 AM

Checked oil and it's right where it should be. I'll try to record the sound and get it in next week.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:34 PM

OK, here's a video of the noise. It's more easily heard on the drivers side but can be heard from the passengers side as well.

Again, it's not nearly as loud as what I've heard on Youtube videos but it's there.

Here's the video and sound.

The only Youtube video I could find that was 'almost' as quiet as mine and sounded a like is this video.

The knocking in this video is more pronounced than mine though.

Last edited by Mike Up; 12-30-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:50 PM

Received 3,928 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I couldn't view your video on flicker, it said it is a private video.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by NASSTY
I couldn't view your video on flicker, it said it is a private video.
Private on Flicker works a bit different than the old Webshots. Webshots even if Private, could be linked for anyone as long as I provided the link. If you looked at the webshots gallery, private albums wouldn't show up.

Flicker is a bit different and keeping anyone from viewing it, even if provided with the link. SO I changed it to public.

Thanks
Old 12-30-2012, 06:55 PM
aai

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know if this would help, but ford had a TSB dated I believe 1/10/12 engine knock/tick for the 5.0 mustangs. It had something to do with the AC belt and lower pulley. Bring it up when you go to the dealer. Any chance you did any exhaust work lately?

Quick Reply: Noisy 5.0L