Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

New Ecoboost Owner, SCARED TO DEATH!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 07:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New Ecoboost Owner, SCARED TO DEATH!

Just traded my 09 FX4 SCAB with 56K, for a 11 FX4 SCREW with 97K. Yeah!
The vehicle was a single owner, corporate, ~3K miles/month, met the maintenance intervals, and checked out the clean Carfax.

But the more I read about ecoboosts aging, I am scared to death what my next steps are to ensure this truck can go the distance.

1. Seafoam the carbon deposits on the valves on the DI? Sure, if you want to score the pistons and blow up your turbos.

2. Add a catch can? Yeah but that isn't gonna solve your oil problem.

3. Add a water/meth injection system? OK but we are talking 100K in carbon build up on a DI engine with downstream turbos. Is this too late to introduce?

I can hold off on getting a 5 star performance tune for my SCT, but just want to get some sound advice and assurances that I won't destroy this before next weekend.

Anyone care to chime in? TIA.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:14 PM

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by vailguy
Just traded my 09 FX4 SCAB with 56K, for a 11 FX4 SCREW with 97K. Yeah!
The vehicle was a single owner, corporate, ~3K miles/month, met the maintenance intervals, and checked out the clean Carfax.

But the more I read about ecoboosts aging, I am scared to death what my next steps are to ensure this truck can go the distance.

1. Seafoam the carbon deposits on the valves on the DI? Sure, if you want to score the pistons and blow up your turbos.

2. Add a catch can? Yeah but that isn't gonna solve your oil problem.

3. Add a water/meth injection system? OK but we are talking 100K in carbon build up on a DI engine with downstream turbos. Is this too late to introduce?

I can hold off on getting a 5 star performance tune for my SCT, but just want to get some sound advice and assurances that I won't destroy this before next weekend.

Anyone care to chime in? TIA.
Just curious, why did you trade a truck with 56K for one with 97K? And what are you referring to by "oil problem"?
The following users liked this post:
ns_redneck (02-04-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 08:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phantomblackgto
Just curious, why did you trade a truck with 56K for one with 97K? And what are you referring to by "oil problem"?
1. primary reason, needed the extra cab space now that the kids are in booster seats. Plus it is a luxury FX4 so the extras are nice. I have heard good things about the ecoboost, not to mention tune-ability, but the verdict is still out on how to keep a DI engine clean, not to mention a seasoned one. I also drive at high altitudes which cripples NA engines. FI engines definitely help.

2. check out the second page "tuner boost's" reply on valve coking.
http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/14...tch-can-2.html
Old 02-02-2015, 09:13 PM

Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

Tuner Boost is a snake oil salesman. He tried the same pitch here last year and was pretty much debunked at every turn. He makes his living selling catch cans and peddling Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt (FUD).

Ford has around 1 million Ecoboost 3.5's on the road since late 2009 in the car/SUV applications and 2011 for the F150. There are issues with some, just like the Modulars but as a whole the majority are fine. The repair industry doesn't show many more failures or anything like that so I'd sleep easy with the engine; I do with my 2.

The only thing you may want to do is have your dealer update the programming to the latest version as there have been numerous updates over the years. Also check and see if the CAC issue has been done and the plugs replaced.

Other than that, enjoy the ride. The engines are fine, despite what the catch can salesman wants you to believe.
The following 4 users liked this post by itguy08:
03king (02-02-2015), Adobe2X (02-12-2015), biff420 (02-09-2015), isthatahemi (02-05-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 09:23 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Quit freaking yourself out by reading the doom and gloom on the Internet.

Change your oil around 5k with a quality synthetic, and monitor between changes. If it rises and smells like fuel, take it in.

Also, run a top tier Hugh octane fuel. Also run chevron fuel additive once in a while.

Simple. Enjoy the truck
Old 02-02-2015, 10:32 PM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

You will be fine. I would rather stay stock than go with 5 star. Not much better than canned sect tune.... But tune away, you will be fine....
Old 02-02-2015, 10:35 PM
FX4RoadWarrior

Received 494 Likes on 353 Posts

Almost as good of troll as the GM trucks burning up and killing your family.
The following users liked this post:
isthatahemi (02-05-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 10:40 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I would agree with all of the above.

Drive it and enjoy it. Maintenance is key to how the truck will last. My company miles out F150 Ecoboosts all the time. We just sent 3-4 2011's with 150k miles on them to auction.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:55 PM

Received 189 Likes on 119 Posts

Yea, you'll be fine. Don't read into those catch cans. There really not needed and their not a cure all...as they're portrayed to be. As I use to tell old turner boost...when your favorite tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Change the oil to a good synthetic and it would be wise to just change out the spark plugs and boots. The carbon buildup is not really an issue. Their is a ford tech (Fordtechmakuloo) that has great videos on this. But basically ford uses air scavenging in the cylinder and valve timing to keep everything in check. Don't be afraid to get it hot and put some boost into it.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:01 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Don't understand?

So you bought a truck and now you're scared it gonna pile up?

Quick Reply: New Ecoboost Owner, SCARED TO DEATH!