Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Need thoughts about my ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need thoughts about my ecoboost

Hi guys, been reading forum for a couple weeks since I got my Ecoboost, first post for me. Traded in my 2WD 06 Hemi quadcab for an '11 Platinum Ecoboost (4wd, 3.55's, all the platinum goodies).

Anyway, I am having some real concerns about things. I've had it for a month now (about 1300 miles) and now have a moonroof that howls while I drive on the highway, a tailgate step that rattles like a kids toy and an engine that runs rough when cold, spits black soot all over my garage wall and uses more gas than my Hemi. I really had high hopes for Ford these days, especially considering the price of this truck, but I am regretting things. I figure the moonroof will just be a warranty item, and the tailgate step can be dealt with (and no, the clips aren't broken).

My main concern is the milage. Did anyones actually start off like garbage and get better after this so called 3000 mile period? I read about people getting 20+ highway, heck, 19 would please me at this point. Just ran 100 miles to KC and 100 miles back home, running 68/69ish with cruise both ways, babying the gas, no traffic, no wind, temps in the 60's so no AC. Filled up and calc'd the mileage at 16.2 all highway (matches computer pretty close). City driving in town during the week gets me about 13. If I romp on it like I did my ram I get about 11. I towed my 900 pound single axle utility trailer (new this year) with my deere riding mower and got a whole 9mpg. My hemi used to get 19-20 on the highway at 70, 15 in the city and would still get 15 towing a small load. Heck, I towed a 2800 pound car hauler with my 3500 pound camaro on it from wichita and averaged 12 coming home with it.

Is there something wrong with this truck? It runs pretty well... not as much power as I had hoped, but pretty decent. I plugged in my scan tool and what numbers I could understand looked to be about right. Wondered if I wasn't getting full boost, but atmospheric reads 28.9inHG and MAP maxed out at 55.4inHG when floored, which would be 12.99PSI.... sounds about right. Checked all hoses, clamps and vacuum lines... all looks good. I don't get it.

I'm about ready to take this truck back and trade it in on that nice looking limited they had, seems like this truck gets about the same MPG as that beasty 6.2L.

Sorry if this is long winded, just trying to give all the details.
Any ideas??? Much appreciated!
Old 10-30-2011, 10:15 PM

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by madsow
Hi guys, been reading forum for a couple weeks since I got my Ecoboost, first post for me. Traded in my 2WD 06 Hemi quadcab for an '11 Platinum Ecoboost (4wd, 3.55's, all the platinum goodies).

Anyway, I am having some real concerns about things. I've had it for a month now (about 1300 miles) and now have a moonroof that howls while I drive on the highway, a tailgate step that rattles like a kids toy and an engine that runs rough when cold, spits black soot all over my garage wall and uses more gas than my Hemi. I really had high hopes for Ford these days, especially considering the price of this truck, but I am regretting things. I figure the moonroof will just be a warranty item, and the tailgate step can be dealt with (and no, the clips aren't broken).

My main concern is the milage. Did anyones actually start off like garbage and get better after this so called 3000 mile period? I read about people getting 20+ highway, heck, 19 would please me at this point. Just ran 100 miles to KC and 100 miles back home, running 68/69ish with cruise both ways, babying the gas, no traffic, no wind, temps in the 60's so no AC. Filled up and calc'd the mileage at 16.2 all highway (matches computer pretty close). City driving in town during the week gets me about 13. If I romp on it like I did my ram I get about 11. I towed my 900 pound single axle utility trailer (new this year) with my deere riding mower and got a whole 9mpg. My hemi used to get 19-20 on the highway at 70, 15 in the city and would still get 15 towing a small load. Heck, I towed a 2800 pound car hauler with my 3500 pound camaro on it from wichita and averaged 12 coming home with it.

Is there something wrong with this truck? It runs pretty well... not as much power as I had hoped, but pretty decent. I plugged in my scan tool and what numbers I could understand looked to be about right. Wondered if I wasn't getting full boost, but atmospheric reads 28.9inHG and MAP maxed out at 55.4inHG when floored, which would be 12.99PSI.... sounds about right. Checked all hoses, clamps and vacuum lines... all looks good. I don't get it.

I'm about ready to take this truck back and trade it in on that nice looking limited they had, seems like this truck gets about the same MPG as that beasty 6.2L.

Sorry if this is long winded, just trying to give all the details.
Any ideas??? Much appreciated!
Your engine is not broken in. It runs rich during break-in. I was told the first 3,000 miles. With 8,000 miles on my clock, I'm getting about 17 in city driving with my EB. I get a about 18.4 mpg at 77mph. I get about 23.5 at 55mph. All on a 4x4 supercrew with a 6.5' bed.

Last edited by EricTheOracle; 10-30-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:28 PM

Patience isn't my strong suit, but I'll give it a chance.

So basically I need to just keep putting the miles on and not worry about it for a couple months. Guess I just need to come up with more excuses for some seat time... lol.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:32 PM

Received 108 Likes on 73 Posts

FX4 Ecoscrew 6.5 box getting 21 hwy @ 62 mph and 16 city. This is 2 to 3 mpg better than I could get my first 2500 miles.
The black soot on start up is normal emissions and turbo preheating for this motor.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:59 PM

Received 179 Likes on 143 Posts

I get 21 @ 60-65 all day, however, anything near the previously posted 18.4 @ 77 hasn't happened for me. I posted about a very long stretch with cruise set at 75 and I only got 16.8. If you are getting 16s @ 62 then something is wrong unless you're going uphill the whole time.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im not convinced there was a break in period yet. I picked mine up off the lot with 27 miles on it and from day one i've been in the low 20's for highway(cruise at 60) and about 18 in town. seen as high as 24 for over a 160 mile stretch. Its all in how you drive it. Watch the eco meter on the dash, if your green bar goes under the feint the white line let up on the pedal until it returns. sometimes that will allow the trans to shift and then you will be fine. Seems like the trans needs a little help once in a while. and stay out of the boost, if you can here the turbo, you are getting less then desirable mileage. My exhaust tip is usually black with soot within a day of washing the truck so i wouldn't worry about that, its just a characteristic of DI engines.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:07 AM

Received 88 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by EricTheOracle
Your engine is not broken in. It runs rich during break-in. I was told the first 3,000 miles. With 8,000 miles on my clock, I'm getting about 17 in city driving with my EB. I get a about 18.4 mpg at 77mph. I get about 23.5 at 55mph. All on a 4x4 supercrew with a 6.5' bed.

I am gonna have to disagree with this statement. My experience is that there was absolutely no difference from 0-3000 miles, aside from about a 1mpg increase overall in mileage. No gas engine should be leaving black soot on your garage wall, during break-in or otherwise. I get slightly better mpg than mentioned above(driving habits), and I have an FX4 Screw with 3.73 rear end. I would take that truck to the dealer immediately, it ain't running right.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:33 AM
Better OUT then IN

Received 253 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Razorback150

I am gonna have to disagree with this statement. My experience is that there was absolutely no difference from 0-3000 miles, aside from about a 1mpg increase overall in mileage. No gas engine should be leaving black soot on your garage wall, during break-in or otherwise. I get slightly better mpg than mentioned above(driving habits), and I have an FX4 Screw with 3.73 rear end. I would take that truck to the dealer immediately, it ain't running right.
I agree. Somethings not right.

Heck, my 5.0 has a lifetime ave of 18.8 mph and I get 20+ mpg on a regular basis.

Take it in.

I just turned 16,000 miles this weekend.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:35 AM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

I tend to disagree with the break in miles statement as well. Mine has gotten 20.2 at 70 since the day I bought it. I had to immediately take mine in a near 1000 mile trip a week after I bought it and got that and now have right about 6k and still gets the same mileage. Some may notice better mpg as mileage goes, but that may also be because you are getting used to driving the truck too, not just the miles.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:23 PM

Purchased my XLT 4x4 5.5’ bed with tow package and 3.55 difs in Aug. I run between Spokane and Seattle almost weekly and sometimes make the loop down to Kennewick on the way or way back from Seattle. I change my oil every 3500 to 4000 miles. The truck is run at 75 mph I would say 75% of the time. The running rough when cold seems to be a natural quirk of this engine. Smooth’s out as soon as it gets warm. I notice load, wind and elevation change is a big factor on mileage. I was driving an 01’ ¾ ton Dodge Ram Quadcab with the Cummings prior to this truck. No matter what, I would get a consistent 18mpg out of it. It now has 230K and still runs strong. With this truck I have seen as high as 21mpg and as low as 17.3mpg. I clear the mileage and trip trackers on every fill up. So for I like the truck. Sure rides a lot better than the old dodge. Looking forward to see how it handles in the snow and ice. I am a bit concerned as it is a lot lighter than the old dodge, but we will see. With the old dodge you never knew the road was slick and you can count the times on one hand that I ever used 4x4 on the highway. And anyone that knows this country and Snoqualmie Pass, knows we get our fair share of bad roads in the winter.

Quick Reply: Need thoughts about my ecoboost