Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

NE1 run an ecoboost out of gas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 05:14 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Default NE1 run an ecoboost out of gas?

Knowing that running a diesel out of oil is a total facepalm, does anyone have any experience with running their EB out of gas?

Does it require priming and all that to get started again or is it relatively painless. I ask because I have been meaning to figure out what the fuel gauge readings actually mean, but fear the worst if I run out completely.

Thanks,
-C
Old 12-01-2011, 05:21 PM

Received 107 Likes on 59 Posts

I think with fuel injection you don't have to worry about priming etc. You may have to wait a bit after the key is on for the electronic fuel injection to get to the carb.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:22 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

Co-worker bought one a month or so after I bought mine and his wife ran it out of gas about two weeks ago and I went out to help her as he was out of town. I put a gallon of gas in and while it certainly took longer than normal to start, it cranked up and she got to a gas station without issue.

The pump and assembly in these trucks is virtually the same as a standard truck with a V8 or any other fuel injected motor. The DI pump is in the engine bay, so it still only has about 35-40psi of pressure until it gets to the engine bay and goes through the DI pump.

While no one would say it's perfectly safe to run it out, it certainly didn't appear to have an issue when I went out and helped.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:23 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

So no biggie. Thanks :P

Quick Reply: NE1 run an ecoboost out of gas?