Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

My first post and experiences

Old 04-23-2013, 11:17 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default My first post and experiences

Hello guys, new member here but ive been logging on as a guest on the site and I have been following some threads on here since buying my truck in feb. I bought a new 2012 f150 4x4 ecoboost, super crew 3.55 gears. build date 9-12-12. ever since I bought the truck and stumbling across this site and reading a lot of problems with the ecoboost with condensation issues with the intercooler, misfires, spark plug gaps, and the falling on the face issue, I had been monitoring my ride like a hawk, to the point where I wasn't enjoying my new truck even though I didn't seem to have any of those problems. the only thing that seemed not right was a slight drop in rpm under light acceleration in gears 2 and 3. after doing a little research someone mentioned the same effect and it pointed to the torque converter locking up, so I dismissed it as that. anyways I decided I would like to invest in a custom tuner but I wanted to make sure my truck was running good and such so I installed the android app "torque" to monitor the truck awhile. I ran it pretty hard and I did happen to capture a few mis fires on cylinder 5, I think it record 3, but I didn't notice them. I read that some tunes require the spark plug gap to at .030 so this sunday I decided to pull a few plugs and check the gap before installing the tuner I bought from 5 star. well I pulled plugs 4 and 5, and they were very close to .030 so I decided not to go any further. that's when things went south. under moderate accel misfires like crazy. torque confirmed that on cylinder 5. I thought maybe I reinstalled something wrong, and I was very generous on torqueing the plugs not to strip anything, so I rechecked all that and was satisfied with reinstalling everything. took it for a test drive and same thing. I immediately called fords service department and after a brief description, and me kinda acting dumb, he immediately started to explain to me the current issues with the intercooler and condensation issues and the tsb's. I was like wow from what I see with other members issues and the service reps I thought this was going to be a drawn out process. anyways I drove straight to the dealer, they took my vehicle, test drove it, and about 2 hours later he came and tell me it looks like I have a condensation issue and there is a tsb for it and they have all the parts to fix it, all under warranty. I was kinda shocked because I never thought I had any issues other than thinking I damaged a spark plug or didn't torque them right. long story short by 3pm the same day I had my truck back with tsb 13-3-3 performed along with a new plug on cylinder 5. all as been good since. installed 5 star tune with 93 perf and its a beast. I hope things are good for a while. just thought id share my experience. just turned 2800 miles.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:58 AM
V-8 Sounds Great

Received 111 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks for your post, and welcome to the forum!

I'm glad Ford took care of you and your truck. I, like you, read of the issues with the ecoboost, and decided to monitor with my Torque app, and I've never had any issues whatsoever. No missfires, no "stumbling" or "falling on its face." It kind of makes me wonder what variables are different with all the production trucks in order to produce that situation. 18,000 miles on mine now, all trouble free... *knock on wood*

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My first post and experiences