Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

My first impressions custom tune from LaMotta Performance

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 08:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My first impressions custom tune from LaMotta Performance

I flashed the custom LaMotta Performance tune two days ago, and finally had a chance to put some miles on the truck and test it out.
Since I still have more than 3/4 tank of 87 octane, I used the 87 tune.
My only modification at this time is a set of Brisk Racing Silver spark plugs.
Power
The only experience with tunes that I've had prior to this one was with the stock factory tune and SCT canned 87 octane tune. The LaMotta tune is clearly more powerful than both, but it was also the smoothest power delivery of the bunch. The power comes on strong off the line and doesn't seem to drop off closer to redline, and I didn't feel any flat spots on the few full-speed pulls that I've done. The tip-in is smooth, and the stock lag is gone. Even with 3.31s, the truck breaks the tires loose off the line by just flooring it.
Although I enjoy power, mostly, I am a pretty laid back driver and this tune's throttle sensitivity and power suit my overall style well.
Shifting
The shifting is only slightly firmer at WOT than stock. The shift points, however, seem to have been moved up a bit to take advantage of the truck's power band better. I've noticed that the truck shifts out of 6th gear a lot sooner, for example, and keeps the revs up.
Mileage
I haven't had a chance to put more than about a hundred miles on this tune, so an accurate (multi-tank) estimate is coming, but so far, the stock display has shown an improvement of 1.2 mpg under similar driving conditions.

Overall, I am happy with this tune. It delivers the extra hp and torque, while doing it in a manner that is subtle and smooth. Can't wait to see what the 93 tune does.
The following 4 users liked this post by forourspam:
AJT1985 (11-12-2013), brucesears (11-10-2013), SkiSmuggs (11-09-2013), Snowflake (11-09-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 03:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i actually just drove down to their shop this morning and picked up a package jake was telling me he was starting today. i got a reische thermostat, brisk plugs & sct tuner w/ the lamotta tune for 499 for my 2012 ecoboost. what an awesome deal and the truck feels like the first time i drove it all over again! didn't dyno it but it's a world of difference faster i can tell you that. wanted to add my 2 cents because some of the guys mentioned they used to be a sponsor on here and that they posted some stuff about the plugs on here and it got ugly and i had just read it. I have taken my mustangs to this shop for over 10 years and they wouldn't lie about anything so stupid. their spark plugs people they sell them at the counter for 70 bucks for crying out loud! thanks for listening to my rant! -Art
The following users liked this post:
SkiSmuggs (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 05:28 PM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT1985
i actually just drove down to their shop this morning and picked up a package jake was telling me he was starting today. i got a reische thermostat, brisk plugs & sct tuner w/ the lamotta tune for 499 for my 2012 ecoboost. what an awesome deal and the truck feels like the first time i drove it all over again! didn't dyno it but it's a world of difference faster i can tell you that. wanted to add my 2 cents because some of the guys mentioned they used to be a sponsor on here and that they posted some stuff about the plugs on here and it got ugly and i had just read it. I have taken my mustangs to this shop for over 10 years and they wouldn't lie about anything so stupid. their spark plugs people they sell them at the counter for 70 bucks for crying out loud! thanks for listening to my rant! -Art
Yeah, I hate it when someone craps all over a thread because they know it all.
Awesome deal for you and I enjoy hearing what other folks are doing.

Last edited by SkiSmuggs; 11-11-2013 at 06:05 PM.
AJT1985 (11-12-2013)
Old 11-12-2013, 01:22 AM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT1985
I have know Jake and his business for about 13 years, since I used to work for a speed shop right across the street and we did a lot of business together. He's a very business-minded and straightforward guy.
As far as the plugs, I would have probably been skeptical myself if I didn't know him and the fact that he wouldn't make up crap.
AJT1985 (11-12-2013)

Quick Reply: My first impressions custom tune from LaMotta Performance