Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Mustang mods?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mustang mods?

Probably a dumb question but can we mod the 2013 5.0 with mustang parts? I really want an afermarket cam that will eventually be coupled with heads and a supercharger...among other things. I just want the cam for right now to go with my intake/exhaust and tune combo so I can have some grunt (lope) and then retune later with a whipple. Long story short, can I shop for cams on the mustang sites?
Any info/links appreciated.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:50 PM

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

I wouldn't. Cam profiles for a car that weighs ~2000lbs less than your truck will not be ideal.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by USAforce87
Probably a dumb question but can we mod the 2013 5.0 with mustang parts? I really want an afermarket cam that will eventually be coupled with heads and a supercharger...among other things. I just want the cam for right now to go with my intake/exhaust and tune combo so I can have some grunt (lope) and then retune later with a whipple. Long story short, can I shop for cams on the mustang sites?
Any info/links appreciated.
It takes more than 1 cam for the new 5.0's, it takes 4 in fact. If all you are wanting is the "lope", that can be tuned in with the vvt. Go to youtube and look up "5.0 ghost cam"
Old 11-17-2014, 01:53 PM
Fast Driver Slow Truck

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by jcain
I wouldn't. Cam profiles for a car that weighs ~2000lbs less than your truck will not be ideal.

yep, look what the hot rod cams did in the 5.4 trucks, sound good but that's about it.

besides any cam with enough overlap to lope won't be ideal for building boost in the lower range. as you try to make boost the cam will just bleed it off.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:20 PM

Received 270 Likes on 191 Posts

The factory mustang intake cam would be a great addition if you already have a header back exhaust and custom intake with a larger MAF housing like the mustang has (Our is ~82mm and the mustang is 95 or 101mm depending on year). Larger cams than that would not be a good idea.

If you don't already have headers than I suggest you get those first.

Some mustang mods will bolt directly to the truck, many will fit with modifications, others just won't work.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:06 PM

I know all the about the ghost tune, I was trying to get the benefits of an actual meatier cam AND the sound but it's not looking doable. Thanks for the replies.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:01 PM

You wont get any cam sound (well a little) unless you go to a much bigger cam. But with stock mustang cams you can get a"ghost cam" tune and sound much better. Unless your truck is really going to be just a toy...?? What are your goals. I would suggest set goals then look for what you need. There are a few after market parts that will make this truck a beast.

CJ
Old 11-18-2014, 06:10 PM

Received 270 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by PearlBlue5OH
You wont get any cam sound (well a little) unless you go to a much bigger cam. But with stock mustang cams you can get a"ghost cam" tune and sound much better. Unless your truck is really going to be just a toy...?? What are your goals. I would suggest set goals then look for what you need. There are a few after market parts that will make this truck a beast.

CJ
Like ^^^ said, are you just looking for an idle or aggressive acceleration sound? do you not care about actual performance or fuel economy?

Quick Reply: Mustang mods?