Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

MPT Custom Tunes!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MPT Custom Tunes!

I just wanted to share my experience with MPT. I'm not one who has much to say which is why I seldom post but I think Mike at MPT deserves to be recognized. This is my first tuner and the custom tunes make this a whole new truck. I was skeptical it would have such an impact but wow!

Mike was fast curtious and very professional. I paid extra for the rush my tunes option and was quickly rewarded. I sent the funds at 11am and by 5pm had my tunes. I had him change when the truck shifts to 6th gear and it was spot on. Every time I emailed with questions ( newbie ones at that) he was quick to respond. He is someone I would recommend to anyone interested in tuning. Thanks Mike!

For those interested I ordered the 91 performance street shift, 87 performance street shift and the 87 performance chill shift. I've only been running the 91 and don't see that changing, it's great. I will try the others at some point but I can't find a thing I would want to change on what I'm running. Oh and my truck is a 2012 xlt 5.0 4x4 .355 axle and 3900 miles to date.
Again Mike is a great guy and I'm positive I made the right choice. Price was better than most others as well.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:03 PM
13.033@102.47

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

gotta post some data if you want to market his work...
Old 01-25-2013, 09:10 PM

If by data you are wanting 1/4 times etc.... I don't race I just wanted better performance and driveability out of my truck. I received that and couldn't be happier.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:22 PM
13.033@102.47

nope. like dyno numbers before/after, A/F...
Old 01-25-2013, 09:33 PM

No but getting it dyno'd is on my to do list. Problem is that list was already quite long to begin with! Will check with a buddy of mine soon, he has had several of his dyno'd.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:47 PM
Heat Miser

Received 144 Likes on 115 Posts

I have MPT's 'mileage' tune, and am not really happy with it.
I'm not getting any better mileage, but I'm not gonna blame them for it. Too many variables involved. What I can attribute to them is a REALLY FAT idle mixture. With only the front of my vehicle sticking in my garage, I can't even work under the hood with it running because the AFR's so fat.
What really concerns me about this is, I only know of it because obviously I can observe the vehicle when it's idling. It makes me wonder about the rest of the RPM/throttle position. It also pretty-much falls on its face during off-idle throttle inputs, which also is an indicator of a bad AFR AT LEAST at that particular throttle position and rpm(s). And you can have a pretty inefficient AFR without even noticing it. The AFR's gotta be pretty far off the mark to notice a hesitation or dead-spot. Running just a 'little' fat across the range can easily yield a noticeable loss in fuel mileage, without giving any other indication of a problem.
Of course the same thing holds true at the opposite end of the scale, i.e. a 'Lean' condition
The final I guess 'Characteristic' of this particular 'tune' I don't like is the wacky shift strategy it has. The 1-2 shift in particular is very erratic....don't know what I'm gonna get.
I eventually pulled it and am now running without any tuning. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd prolly sell the freaking tuner. It's got the SCT performance 'tunes' I've never tried.
In any event, I'm back to 'normal' shifting, and with the thing no longer running uber-rich at idle, I no longer wonder what the AFR is when I'm tooling down the road.

Last edited by yokev; 01-25-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:47 PM

yokev, have you contacted MPT? When they sent my tunes I thought my 1-2 shift seemed a little more harsh than the rest and emailed Mike. He looked at it and tweeked it and emailed a revised tune and it is perfect. I would think he could help you out. I know little about tuning and even less about the economy tunes offered, didn't see the point in my truck and wasn't concerned but I do know Mike is quick to respond with questions and help.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:25 PM

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

So you are basing your air fuel ratio off of guesses and assumptions but no actual data? No air fuel reading what so ever?
Old 01-26-2013, 01:11 AM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Slow.
gotta post some data if you want to market his work...
He has no reason to market MPT tunes, he is just giving his opinion of the tune. I also have a MPT tune and I love it. But on the other hand others do market tunes from other tuners ... Have you gotten any new times with the 93oct tunes or you're still on 87?
Old 01-26-2013, 08:13 AM
13.033@102.47

new times from 93 tunes are still in testing with Tuners Inc.

I still use the same 87 tune from Unleashed daily.

Quick Reply: MPT Custom Tunes!