Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Motorcraft Full Synthetic

Old 05-28-2011, 04:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Motorcraft Full Synthetic

Anyone using Motorcraft 5W30 full synthetic in the Ecoboost. Got 3500 on the clock and considering changing over.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:47 PM

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Yup, I compared it to Mobil 1 5w-30 and..

found out that it has a slightly higher flash point and the same pour point as Mobil 1. I got the spec sheet off of Motorcraft web site.

Well if it's going to perform as well as Mobil 1 why not use it? If there is a warranty concern, it'll be kinda hard for Ford to fault the motor oil - hell, it's their recommended stuff!

It's in my Platinum EB right now and that is the quietest engine I've heard in a while. Drove the truck from Houston to Arizona with no problems what so ever.

Good stuff!

Also, I have a post about Ford's switch up on filters here:

https://www.f150forum.com/f70/looks-...ere-out-96569/

Cheers!
Old 05-29-2011, 08:03 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by amascio
found out that it has a slightly higher flash point and the same pour point as Mobil 1. I got the spec sheet off of Motorcraft web site.

Well if it's going to perform as well as Mobil 1 why not use it? If there is a warranty concern, it'll be kinda hard for Ford to fault the motor oil - hell, it's their recommended stuff!

It's in my Platinum EB right now and that is the quietest engine I've heard in a while. Drove the truck from Houston to Arizona with no problems what so ever.

Good stuff!

Also, I have a post about Ford's switch up on filters here:

https://www.f150forum.com/f70/looks-...ere-out-96569/

Cheers!
full synthetic ain't ford's recommended stuff- it's there brand but not recommended for the ecoboost. The engineer on one of the chats said to use 5w-30 synthetic blend not full synthetic
Old 05-29-2011, 08:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by truckerdude
full synthetic ain't ford's recommended stuff- it's there brand but not recommended for the ecoboost. The engineer on one of the chats said to use 5w-30 synthetic blend not full synthetic

wonder why the engineer would recommend a blend when a full synthetic is supposed to be superior in every way?
Old 05-29-2011, 10:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems full synthetic would be superior, especially that it has the higher flash point and the heat associated with a turbo motor; however, I am certainly no engineer? I plan to go to the dealer this week for oil change and I am going to have them call the tech hot line to see what Ford's position is on full synthetic
Old 05-30-2011, 12:43 AM

If my turbos are glowing red, semi synthetic ain't gonna cut it! If you really want to figure out the ideal oil for an Ecoboost engine, it would be something rated HTO-06; that is the Honda/Acura spec developed by them to keep the turbo engined Acuras in top shape for life. It's not easy to meet; only 5W-30 Mobil 1 and 5W-30 Pennzoil Platinum (and Pennzoil Ultra) meet it.

Next time you're at Walmart or the auto parts store, check out who meets HTO-06; only the three above do.
I used the Pennzoil Platinum in my Mazdaspeed 3 mainly because it held up better to the fuel dilution issues those engines have. It worked out fantastic in my Mazda, and I'd use it in my EB, but for warranty purposes I'm going to run the Motorcraft full syn.
Check out this page on the Motorcraft web site:http://www.fordparts.com/Products/Ch...MotorOils.aspx

You'll notice that the Full synthetic 5W-30 is described as "top quality" by Ford; now look at the Semi synthetic, it is described as "premium quality".

Top quality oil is all my engines see, from my 2 EB trucks right down to my 4 stroke Honda weedwacker.

I can't think of the last time I used a conventional oil or a blend......
Old 05-30-2011, 06:46 AM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I want whatever they used in 448AA
Old 05-30-2011, 09:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

After the hero engine teardown:

"Why the EcoBoost engine was so clean
The comparative lack of engine sludge/grime indicates that the engine’s PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system and the recommended Motorcraft 5W-30 synthetic blend motor oil – available off the shelf – worked in harmony to contribute to clean engine operation. "

Looks like the hero used synthetic blend.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:57 PM

I wonder what the oil change intervals were with the hero engine. The only reason I hesitate to use the MC blend is some pictures I saw on bobistheoilguy indicating quite a bit of varnish on a 4.6 mustang. IIRC he was doing 7.5 k mile OCI's.

Good to know that the MC blend can handle what the EB dishes out! I think I'll still stay with the full synthetic though....
Old 05-31-2011, 07:54 AM

Received 373 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by truckerdude
After the hero engine teardown:

"Why the EcoBoost engine was so clean
The comparative lack of engine sludge/grime indicates that the engine’s PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system and the recommended Motorcraft 5W-30 synthetic blend motor oil – available off the shelf – worked in harmony to contribute to clean engine operation. "

Looks like the hero used synthetic blend.
I think they are recommending the blend to show you don't have to go the the expense of a full synthetic to get those results. They also recommend 87 fuel. In either case you can use the recommended fuel or oil, or you can get better performance by using the top grades.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Motorcraft Full Synthetic