Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

More CAC/PCV Fodder

Old 04-12-2015, 03:04 AM

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Default More CAC/PCV Fodder

Pudding anyone?

I let it pool to the cold side overnight, poured about a cup and a half of oil vapour emulsion out. Cleaned with solvent, hot soapy water, dry thoroughly with hair dryer.
Attached Thumbnails More CAC/PCV Fodder-turbos-cac-1.jpg   More CAC/PCV Fodder-cac-cold-1.jpg   More CAC/PCV Fodder-cac-tb-pipe-1.jpg   More CAC/PCV Fodder-cac-tb-pipe-2.jpg   More CAC/PCV Fodder-cac-cleaning-1.jpg  

Old 04-14-2015, 01:37 PM

Received 387 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by VoiceOfReason
Pudding anyone?

I let it pool to the cold side overnight, poured about a cup and a half of oil vapour emulsion out. Cleaned with solvent, hot soapy water, dry thoroughly with hair dryer.
Did you drill the hole afterwards?
Old 04-16-2015, 10:28 PM

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Gonna do it again unless you drill the hole. Drilled a hole in my buddies 2013 yesterday and his was dry.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:39 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Drill the hole!
Old 04-17-2015, 09:45 AM

Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

What's the problem? All vehicles with PCV systems have this gunk in them. It's just that the CAC allows it to pool, unlike others where it's a straight shot to the engine. It will get sucked into the intake eventually, just like every other vehicle.

Condensation issue? Sure the hole helps as it drains away. But Ford's latest TSB fixes it in most cases (so far it has for me). I think they play with boost and throttle to help clear it out, especially since they don't replace the CACs on the older trucks.

Valve deposits? Nope. The VW guys (the ones with the real issues) have found that even with catch cans they still get tons of deposits.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:10 AM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Been following the catch can deal a long time, and am now adding one for no other reason than to remove oil that could potentially drop the octane of fuel I'm running and lead to issues with performance tunes. That oil messes with the map sensors and octane of the fuel. Sure, stock there may be no issues since its a conservative tune. But after the pure oil I drained from the IC yesterday after just 70 miles of driving, I am putting one on. Seems to me like a lot of oil.

Especially with higher boost in performance tunes its going to push that crud from the IC into the engine even easier. I've stayed neutral on this a long time and did the hole(still had a cup of water/oil in the stock unit with the hole drilled), and have now been fooling around with the breather on the aFe. The breather can't keep up with the amount of oil accumulation in just 70 miles of driving. I can pull the plug and oil will drip out after just 70 miles and that doesn't account for the vapors going into the engine and what was coming out the breather while driving.

That was after 70 miles. Its no longer even a question to me I have a catch can ordered.
The following users liked this post:
DieselDawg (04-20-2015)
Old 04-17-2015, 03:05 PM

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts

I removed my CAC and installed the Full Race Intercooler. Here is a picture of the TIAL BOV covered in oil. This oil is obviously being blown out of the BOV. I also have a catch can installed.
The following users liked this post:
DieselDawg (04-20-2015)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: More CAC/PCV Fodder