Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Mods For Track

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 08:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Mods For Track

I'm waiting for my 2013 to reach 4K miles before I attempt to make any changes to it. So far the truck has been flawless. One thing I dislike doing is bolting on aftermarket parts for the sake of bolting them on if they don't improve my vehicle.
I have a '13 Screw Ecoboost 145"WB 3.55 Gear, I would like to get the truck into the low 13's but do so not throwing a pile of money at this truck just because.
I'm looking at SSI 91 Octane Tune Loaded in an SCT Livewire, and I'm also considering an off-road Y pipe that will bolt-up to the factory exhaust. I have also considered an intercooler upgrade but I am on the fence with this mod.

Does anyone have experience with a y-pipe that has no fitment problems on the stock exhaust, and has anyone dyno'd an intercooler upgrade from ATP,Wagner or Full Race?

Only other upgrade performance wise Is I plan to install some Forged Centerline 20x8.5" wheels(28lbs) with the stock Bridgestone Dueller HP's.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:35 AM

Received 179 Likes on 143 Posts

A quick search will give you the answers. Tune will get you 13s. For 99% of f150 owners that's the extent of their mods list. Downpipes, intake and intercooler might get you a few more tenths but that will vary with weather and launch.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:20 AM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

Read up on ssi tune. As long as you like to deal with someone who seems like a hormonal teenage girl.... Well anyways.

Livernois 5 star and ssi tunes are very comparable. Just go in eyes wide open on some of ssi claims. Tune may get you 13s or may not.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Joewee3.5
A quick search will give you the answers. Tune will get you 13s. For 99% of f150 owners that's the extent of their mods list. Downpipes, intake and intercooler might get you a few more tenths but that will vary with weather and launch.
A search gives me 1/2 a dozen of one and 1/2 dozen of the other as far as fitment on the various Y pipes. An Intake I probably won't bother with as I don't think this is much of a restriction.

What most people don't list with the various Intercoolers is before and after IAT, Knock Count, and Timing. I'd like to see if the truck in stock form is adding more timing on an aftermarket cooler then the stock cooler with the IAT's being lower and if the Knock Count is reduced. I think it's more of a safety factor then a power adder but it seems to add some solid WTQ.

I noticed that with the slight change in the Turbo's for 2013 a couple members have trapped 100mph with tune or tune +dp. Pretty impressive for a small compressor change.

I'd love to run some low 13's @ 100mph, just have to run it on a nice cool night.

Last edited by FX4RR; 12-21-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by zx12-iowa
Read up on ssi tune. As long as you like to deal with someone who seems like a hormonal teenage girl.... Well anyways.

Livernois 5 star and ssi tunes are very comparable. Just go in eyes wide open on some of ssi claims. Tune may get you 13s or may not.
Sent an e-mail got a response back from Shawn? I believe it is right away seemed ready and willing to help and answer all my questions. Do you have any threads in particular I should read regarding SSI?
Old 12-21-2013, 10:49 AM

Received 179 Likes on 143 Posts

SSI has a cult following. Join their forum and see if its a fit for you. If it's not a fit then just buy the tune run fast times. They are technically 2nd in tune only times and 1st in tune only speed. I think that's the standing anyway. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I like my downpipes. They do the job and fit well. You are probably getting PMs from several people at this point. Just read up on your choices and make a purchase.

Last edited by Joewee3.5; 12-21-2013 at 10:56 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Joewee3.5:
FX4RR (12-21-2013), mechanicboy (12-21-2013)
Old 12-21-2013, 12:15 PM

Received 117 Likes on 65 Posts

I agree there is so many choices that fit so many different people, as you can see in my signature I have tried the 5 biggest brands, I will not say anything negative about any of them, they all have their pros and cons. But I personally run southern speed because it fits my driving style.

Your best bet is to just research and find a good fit. I recommend a tune first, then a DP, then a intercooler and go from there.
The following users liked this post:
FX4RR (12-21-2013)
Old 12-21-2013, 12:32 PM

Thanks guys I appreciate the responses. That's the exact order I would like to do them in. I was able to read up an ATP Intercooler thread that gave me a lot of information. I also really like Full Race's Intercooler especially the BOV is neat, not sure if I would find it annoying.

For a downpipe I think I will give Kooks a call, I know in the muscle car world they are second to none, I don't want leaks or a difficult time installing one because I wanted to save some money.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:41 PM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

Here's one of many fun threads... It's always drama when you mention them.

https://www.f150forum.com/f70/not-re...ccount-235930/

Not trying to tell you not to buy just a heads up at their style. They are one of the top three tuners at this time. I don't trust their times as I have heard they claim tune only when they have other mods. But this so the internet so who knows....
Old 12-21-2013, 12:41 PM

Received 117 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by FX4RR
Thanks guys I appreciate the responses. That's the exact order I would like to do them in. I was able to read up an ATP Intercooler thread that gave me a lot of information. I also really like Full Race's Intercooler especially the BOV is neat, not sure if I would find it annoying.

For a downpipe I think I will give Kooks a call, I know in the muscle car world they are second to none, I don't want leaks or a difficult time installing one because I wanted to save some money.
I've got a kooks DP I would sell, it's just sitting in my garage, vey nice workmanship looks good. The only problem is I really have no way of shipping it. I've been trying to sell it locally.

Quick Reply: Mods For Track