Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Milky oil with a smell of fuel.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Milky oil with a smell of fuel.

My truck went in to get a TSB done last November or so due to a fuel odor in the oil filler cap area, and the oil that I drained during an oil change. The TSB had them add a block heater, change the PCV valve, perform an oil change and perhaps a couple of other small things. It also had the TSB done for the condensation issue almost two years ago, where they essentially just add an air dam to the CAC.

Well, my previous oil change seemed good about a month ago. My Blackstone Labs reports showed negligible amounts of fuel, and not enough to hinder viscosity or flash point too much. But now I've noticed a sound from the vacuum assist pump that sounds just like the videos out there, my oil filler cap wreaks of fuel, and is yellow-brown milky.

Now, admittedly, I have been having several short distance drives the past week or so, and that would sort of explain the fuel odor. But isn't milky oil a sign of water? I'm also sure the vacuum pump (under the drivers' side headlight) is an unrelated issue, but still a concern of mine.

I actually noticed the vacuum pump making noises a couple weeks ago, and have my truck scheduled to go to the dealer tomorrow (Tuesday, March 17th) for that issue. I will also bring up the fuel odor and milky oil when I get there.

If I use full synthetic oil and the dealer does an oil change using regular oil, would that cause serious problems? I know you're not supposed to switch from full synthetic back to regular oil, but I changed my oil shortly after back to full synthetic. It has also been a couple of oil changes using full synthetic since the dealer had done the TSB. So I think it would be unrelated anyway.

How broke is my truck?
Old 03-16-2015, 08:23 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Drive it around , get on it and let it get hot then check it. Poof magic
Old 03-16-2015, 08:29 PM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by brettd4x4
Yep.

The ol' smegma in the oil trick, lol.

1. Short trips = condensation

2. Boost and DI = fuel diluted crankcase oil ( change yer oil more often )

MGD
Old 03-19-2015, 12:07 PM

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Your vacuume pump is ALWAYS going to make noise, it's normal due to them having to make vacuume for the brakes as the turbos rob the engine of all its natural vacuume.
As far as the milky oil it could be air being mixed with it somewhere or it could also be water.
Best thing to do would be a pressure test on the cooling system.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:35 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by brettd4x4
Ye olde Italian tune up, eh?
Old 03-19-2015, 12:43 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This is not normal! Well maybe it is for the eco-boost motors?

I had a 370Z brand new a few years ago. 6 months into ownership my Z's oil started to look just like this. Turns out my motor was a dude, and had a cracked head gasket. My car was burning the coolant. Your oil looks like coolant is mixing with the oil. Milky oil is the classic signal of head gasket failure. Do you see excessive white smoke from your tailpipe? There is also a distinct smell of coolant burning. Check your coolant level, if your coolant level is low that could be another signal.. Best of luck. Maybe this is just an ecoboost thing?

PS my 370Z motor had to be rebuilt. Sold it shortly after because it started to show signs of cracked head gasket again!
Old 03-19-2015, 06:10 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegt87

I had a 370Z brand new a few years ago. 6 months into ownership my Z's oil started to look just like this. Turns out my motor was a dude, and had a cracked head gasket. My car was burning the coolant. Your oil looks like coolant is mixing with the oil. Milky oil is the classic signal of head gasket failure. Do you see excessive white smoke from your tailpipe? There is also a distinct smell of coolant burning. Check your coolant level, if your coolant level is low that could be another signal.. Best of luck. Maybe this is just an ecoboost thing?

PS my 370Z motor had to be rebuilt. Sold it shortly after because it started to show signs of cracked head gasket again!

Actually it is normal and its not just ecoboost motors that do this. Short trips in the winter cause condensation buildup. You have to get the motor out for a good long drive for it to burn off.

Yes it could be a head Gasket but I highly doubt it.
The following users liked this post:
MGD (03-19-2015)
Old 03-19-2015, 06:39 PM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by Tothemax
Actually it is normal and its not just ecoboost motors that do this. Short trips in the winter cause condensation buildup. You have to get the motor out for a good long drive for it to burn off.

Yes it could be a head Gasket but I highly doubt it.
Finally! some common sense, lol!

Yep normal - not a gasket.

Go drive the **** outta it, regularly.

AND - Change. The. Oil! Boost = blowby = fuel diluted oil.

MGD
Old 03-19-2015, 08:15 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

There is oil at least half way up the o-ring in one area. There is milky oil on the thread at the point of highest lock. There is oil spillage outside of the filler neck. Oil above the o-ring seal on the filler neck.

You are also hearing a vacuum sound.

It would seem there is strong evidence of the cap simply not being on tight. It would account for all symptoms including excess milkyness as the built in valve overlap (turbo motor pcv under boost) would not function properly without an airtight seal on cap.

Not saying that is what it ...is... but it's possible.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:31 AM

Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegt87
It's normal for all engines, especially in the F150. If it persists in the summer you have an issue...

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/milky...er-oil-cap.htm
http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...Number=2149634
https://www.f150forum.com/f10/milky-...t-issue-70660/

Keep an eye on it - if it goes away once the weather warms up, nothing to worry about. If it sticks around you've got issues. If you are concerned, get your oil analyzed.

It really is that simple.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Milky oil with a smell of fuel.