Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

May have Exhaust leak around headers 2012 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 11:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default May have Exhaust leak around headers 2012 5.0

So haven't had time to look into this but last night while driving my truck. I started to notice that once I get my foot into the gas I hear a loud exhaust sound around my floor board, on the drivers side. When driving the truck normal all I hear is the exhaust coming from the rear of the truck.(MBRP Cat back Exhaust with 3" PIPES) When I got the truck I bought it from a friend who also had a 2011 dodge 1500 with a 5.7 6" lift and 35" tires, no upgrades exhaust or tunes. He decided to sell the ford because he said the Dodge was much faster. Would an exhaust leak around the Headers Or CATS cause The Ford to lose so much power???????? Has anyone ever dealt with this issue???

Last edited by Indy2012fx4; 03-09-2016 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:08 PM

Received 112 Likes on 77 Posts
Default More info

Originally Posted by Indy2012fx4
So haven't had time to look into this but last night while driving my truck. I started to notice that once I get my foot into the gas I hear a loud exhaust sound around my floor board, on the drivers side. When driving the truck normal all I hear is the exhaust coming from the rear of the truck.(MBRP Cat back Exhaust with 3" PIPES) When I got the truck I bought it from a friend who also had a 2011 dodge 1500 with a 5.7 6" lift and 35" tires, no upgrades exhaust or tunes. He decided to sell the ford because he said the Dodge was much faster. Would an exhaust leak around the Headers Or CATS cause The Ford to lose so much power???????? Has anyone ever dealt with this issue???
How many miles on the truck? By your description it doesn't sound like it's leaking at or near the headers. You would hear substantially more drive train noise. Your after market exhaust may simply be amplifying the sound. The factory exhaust has a wonderful throaty sound when you get into it and you will hear it from the same location you describe. You may also have a bad weld or coupling depending on how the aftermarket exhaust was installed.
As for the Dodge being faster, I suspect that is the feeling of torque. Many Hemi's had a 3.92 rear vs. the 3.31 open that is pretty standard on the 5.0s.
For the record, even stock my friends 2012 Hemi couldn't get away frome me and he had the 3.92 rear end vs my 3.31.
After i tuned the truck, I waxed his ***. He did aftermarket exhaust and a Diablo tune and I still wax his *** and I am all stock except for the tune.
You got the better deal, the 5.0 is a good running motor.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:22 AM

thanks for the Info. the truck has 49000 miles on it. I just found out last night that he has a tune in the dodge and Flowmaster, catback, and Cai. Which could also account for the felling in the dodge. I ordered my SCT X4 from MPT on Monday so hoping to get it soon. We are planning on taking them to the track this summer and run them. I could see where his 3.92 gear will help him out alot more. both trucks have 6" lift on 35's
Old 03-21-2016, 08:29 AM

I did some checking on my rear gears and its an L6 (3.73E) so would the 3.92 gearing be that much better then the 3.73?

Quick Reply: May have Exhaust leak around headers 2012 5.0