Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Is "Manual" mode detrimental?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 11:29 AM
lol, wut

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Is "Manual" mode detrimental?

Been driving my truck in manual mode for the better part of a year now, and while I haven't noticed any issues and the trans fluid looks/smells good, I've been wondering. Will shifting the slushbox myself cause any detrimental effects in the long-term? Anybody else drive like this on a daily basis? I've put about 15,000 miles driving the truck like this.

Edit: It's a 2013 Screw FX2 5.0.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:39 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

I would imagine you would be fine as long as your not redlining it. No I dont drive that way. Only time I use the manual mode is when I am going down a steep grade and I want the higher RPMS to help slow me down.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:43 PM

Received 234 Likes on 194 Posts

Why would you drive in M every day all the time? Its not detrimental but that just sounds crazy to me. I only use it for descending a steep hill where engine braking is desired to save the brakes.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:45 AM
lol, wut

I don't redline, I generally upshift at about 5000 if I'm accelerating hard, 2000-2500 if not. I drive in M because I wish I had a real manual, and I love the sound of the 5.0 on a downshift. I just wish it would fully lock the torque convertor all the time in manual.

On a side note, there's room under the dash for a third pedal, and a short-throw shifter will fit in the center console where the current auto stick is. I would have to go with a remote reservoir for the clutch though, a master cylinder w/integrated res won't fit on the firewall.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:52 AM
4Runner Driver

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by johndog82
Why would you drive in M every day all the time? Its not detrimental but that just sounds crazy to me. I only use it for descending a steep hill where engine braking is desired to save the brakes.
Because Ford refuses to build a truck with a manual transmission?

I hate driving automatics, but I hate driving my truck in manual mode even more. It's an awkward as hell driving position on a column-shift truck, and the only thing more laggy than the throttle body on the damned thing is it's reaction time to manual shifting.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:11 AM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

I'm the opposite. I hate driving manuals. Years and years of driving manuals at work which was 90% off road was a pain. It's so much nicer to hop in and go. Not worry about having to shift while going up a hill.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:45 PM
lol, wut

Originally Posted by Mattwrotethis

I hate driving automatics, but I hate driving my truck in manual mode even more. It's an awkward as hell driving position on a column-shift truck, and the only thing more laggy than the throttle body on the damned thing is it's reaction time to manual shifting.
The only really laggy shift I noticed is the 1-2 shift. If I do it under power, it lets the engine rev up about 500rpm before the shift, so if I push the button at 2000 rpm, the gear doesn't change till 2500. I think it's due to the torque converter not fully locking up at all times.

I probably wouldn't bother if I had a column shift, but I have the full console and floor shifter so...
Old 03-22-2016, 02:21 PM

Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattwrotethis

It would be a lot better if it had paddle shifters.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:31 PM

Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts

Yeah I have to say the manual mode shifter button placement seems like an after thought.

I would buy my truck in a manual in a heartbeat.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:01 PM
Wondering Around

Received 212 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Tothemax
I'm the opposite. I hate driving manuals. Years and years of driving manuals at work which was 90% off road was a pain. It's so much nicer to hop in and go. Not worry about having to shift while going up a hill.
Got to agree although a manual in a sports car or muscle car is a must.

Quick Reply: Is "Manual" mode detrimental?