Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Magnaflow Dual Cat-Back Exhaust on Ecoboost F150

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 10:41 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Magnaflow Dual Cat-Back Exhaust on Ecoboost F150

Hey guys and gals, I have searched the forum and can't find anything about anyone putting a dual Magnaflow setup on there EB F150... I am about to be the guinea pig I guess, but was wondering if you guys had any professional opinions on this setup before I went in head first! For example, I am not accustomed to turbos, and wasn't sure if this dual setup would be too much of a decrease in back pressure for the turbos... Or if it would even do anything at all other than make noise!! I know turbos love air, but I don't know how much these particular twins like to drink! LOL! Considering both the traditional dual setup with one muffler one pipe in and two out, as well as seeing if a buddy of mine can finagle out a way to do "true duals" on the truck... I love toying around with this stuff, but don't want to get too much unnecessary money sunk into it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am not 100% sure this is gonna work, but I have ridden in an EB with the Magnaflow side exit setup and it seems to make the EB run better... Via my butt dyno anyways! Thanks in advance and sorry if this is in anyway a repost...
Old 12-28-2011, 11:48 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Turbocharged engines perform best with as little exhaust backpressure as possible. A non-chambered muffler like a Magnaflow, Borla, etc., is ideal vs something like a Flowmaster.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:03 PM
Unofficial Glass Guru

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

im waiting on my MBRP Dual catback.. once i get it next month, i'll post a video
Old 12-28-2011, 01:31 PM

Received 1,556 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by byoungblood
Turbocharged engines perform best with as little exhaust backpressure as possible. A non-chambered muffler like a Magnaflow, Borla, etc., is ideal vs something like a Flowmaster.
This is exactly right. Turbo engines respond well to straight-through core mufflers. One time, I switched from a single 3.5" Aerochamber to a single 3.5" Magnaflow and the exhaust pressure, measured upstream of the turbine, dropped from 48 down to 34 psi. It gained 100 hp, literally.

I can't really speak to how it will sound on a 6, though.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:06 PM

Awesome guys! I appreciate the info. I just got the call from my local shop where I ordered my exhaust and its in and ready to go!! Can't wait to go get it installed. Unfortunately it may be next week before we can get our schedules to match up... But as soon as I get it on, I will post a video for you guys to hear!

@Commander316: I noticed in your vehicle specs you have an Injen CAI, do you like it? I have one of those ready and waiting for me too, but I am still on the fence as I have heard and read mixed reviews about them.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:08 PM

Alright! Had the dual Magnaflow exhaust kit installed on my EB Lariat Screw today! Gotta say so far I am loving it! I can tell a big difference in the sound quality and the turbos seem to "breathe" better. Have noticed a nice little bump in performance to, but again I think it is coming from the shear movement of air through the turbos. Going to have my CAI installed next week, so hoping it helps even more. Gonna monitor the mpg's to see it I get an increase. As I said before, I will post a video for you guys to hear soon. Hopefully by the beginning of next week. Have to be outta town this weekend, and won't have time. Oh the only downside to this kit was that I had to relocate my spare tire... To the bed of my truck for now!

Last edited by levirooskie; 01-04-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep us updated.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:23 PM

Hey, guys... Sorry for no video yet... Still outta town with no camera! I did see an increase in fuel mileage so far... By hand calculation, I have picked up 1.7 miles per gallon highway, city, and country driving averaged! With the computer it is showing about 2.2 mpg increase. So about .5 mpgs margin of error with computer. Still loving this exhaust. Traveled about 300 miles of interstate at about 76 to 78 mph and no drone! Still believe my butt dyno has also picked up a slight performance increase as well! :-D

On another note, the shop I purchased the exhaust kit from, has both an AFE Power and an Injen intake ordered for my truck... Should be there by the time I get back in town. They kinda using me as a Guinea pig with the intakes I think... Lol! Oh well... Anxious to see what each look/sound like and more importantly what they will do for my truck in combo with the exhaust!
Old 01-10-2012, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you post an audio of this?

Would love to hear dual on the EB. I am on the fence on this setup.

thx.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:07 PM

Will try to get the video up tomorrow... Finally back in town with my good camera! Sorry for the delays, life keeps getting in the way of my fun! :-D

Quick Reply: Magnaflow Dual Cat-Back Exhaust on Ecoboost F150