Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Low Oil Pressure Engine shut down

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 11:13 PM
CRYTESY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Low Oil Pressure Engine shut down

Alright...this ones for all the smart techy types!!

I was out hunting with my 2011 F150 - 5.0L today. I climbed a relatively steep hill (made it up in 4 wheel drive with stock tires in the snow....if that helps with gauging steepness)......no where to turn around at the top so I had to back down in reverse. Half way down the engie died and the console said L:Ow Oil Pressure.

Is this because the oil rushed to the back of the pan??

Any thoughts?

thanks team
Old 11-30-2012, 11:50 PM
better looking than geno

Received 275 Likes on 169 Posts

If it dies its going to say low oil pressure no matter why it died. The engine isn't running, no oil pressure.

How much fuel was in the tank? Its more plausible that the gas ran to the back...as I believe all these trucks the sump is in the rear of the oil pan.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:58 PM
CRYTESY

hmmm interesting....never thought of that......i did have over a 1/4 tank....would it not have said low fuel first? It literally just died.....its running fine otherwise - started right up - drove it home 250 miles

thanks
Old 12-01-2012, 10:58 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I would be careful , recently I found out thru a source at a Ford Dealer that Ford is removing core charges on 6.2 and 3.5 motors. They have sold a ton of longblocks all because motors have been throwing rods out the side .
This is a little disturbing , could be an issue with rings failing, oil pump ?

Pete
Old 12-01-2012, 03:30 PM
MXD

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboPete
I would be careful , recently I found out thru a source at a Ford Dealer that Ford is removing core charges on 6.2 and 3.5 motors. They have sold a ton of longblocks all because motors have been throwing rods out the side .
This is a little disturbing , could be an issue with rings failing, oil pump ?

Pete
I haven't heard of many (or any for that matter) blown 6.2s or 3.5s. This is the first I've heard of it.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:36 PM
CRYTESY

for whatever its worth...ive got the 5.0L

thanks guys!

still perplexed.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:30 AM

Believe me I was surprised about it myself , but then again not everyone is on a internet forum so how does one know how many other failures are out there . As for the raptor and harley 6.2s there are alot of people who throw superchargers on them and they have broken them . I personally know 2 of them . Has nothing to do with tune , its just the rods are not made to hold that much power. Makes you wonder whats really going on .

Pete
Old 12-02-2012, 11:35 AM
MXD

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you saying they are weak in stock trim or modded engines are the ones grenading?
Old 12-02-2012, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by MXD
Are you saying they are weak in stock trim or modded engines are the ones grenading?
Im saying that modded they break . Its a grey area how many failures could happen and then someone puts there truck back to stock form and goes to the dealer and says " I dont know what happened " Im speculating of course but that is one senerio.

Pushing them a bit too much .

Pete

Last edited by TurboPete; 12-02-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:15 PM

Received 270 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by MXD
I haven't heard of many (or any for that matter) blown 6.2s or 3.5s. This is the first I've heard of it.
There's been a 3.5 eco blown on this forum. Sent a rod threw the block and the owner states it was never modified. I'm not sure we ever found out the problem for the engine went back to ford.

One thing to consider is that the 3.5 and 6.2 were both built to work, not for performance. The 5.0 started as a performance engine and was reworked slightly for work duty, bigger exhaust valve stems(or sodium filled? I don't remember), lower compression, etc.

Quick Reply: Low Oil Pressure Engine shut down