Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Looking for feedback from tuned 5.0's

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 09:19 PM

Received 118 Likes on 102 Posts

Default Looking for feedback from tuned 5.0's

Hey I'm looking into getting a tune for my 5.0. I pretty much have it narrowed down to Mike at 5 Star but I'm open for other options. I'm looking for some feedback on how any of you like your tune. What octane tune you are using, how does it drive, and what kind of MPG you are getting with it? I'm probably going to get his 87, 89, and 93 perf/tow tune. I'm really just looking for what you like and don't like about your tune. Thanks All.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am 5 star tuned, 87 economy, 87 perf, and 93 perf. No complaints at all. Only ran economy tune once and u can basically duplicate it with perfect driving. Not sure if 87 perf makes much extra power but is a big improvement because of the raised rev limiter and trans tuning. 93 perf is a noticeable power gain. I used my sct to up the shift pressure and it will chirp 2nd almost every time under full throttle shifts. Heard of other tunes that may make just a little more power, but sacrifice all around driving. I reccomend mike and glad i listened to the members who reccomended him
Old 08-03-2012, 09:03 AM
F150 Forum

Received 101 Likes on 59 Posts

We are a new sponsor to the forum but not new to tuning.

Here are some reviews from MPT customers:
Facebook - Click on the picture for testimonial
MPT website reviews
ebay feedback
Old 08-03-2012, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mike@MPT
We are a new sponsor to the forum but not new to tuning.

Here are some reviews from MPT customers:
Facebook - Click on the picture for testimonial
MPT website reviews
ebay feedback
Looking at your site you list your performance and tow tunes as separate tunes. So if I wanted a 87 performance and a 87 tow tune that will count as two separate tunes?
Old 08-03-2012, 05:01 PM
F150 Forum

Received 101 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by kbass24emtp
Looking at your site you list your performance and tow tunes as separate tunes. So if I wanted a 87 performance and a 87 tow tune that will count as two separate tunes?
Yes, we have tunes specific for towing and specific for performance. There are different objectives that we target for each tune. That being said we have a number of customers that use their performance tunes as all around tunes since they typically get better economy and are still safe for towing.

This is not the case with diesels because of the extreme difference in power added between towing and performance tunes. With Gas vehicles, the variance is much smaller and can be used as an all around tune.

They key thing here is preference and that's why custom tunes are great. They are based on your preferences.

-Mike
The following users liked this post:
SFRDLTT1 (08-07-2012)
Old 08-03-2012, 10:42 PM

Yes custom is the way to go, I had a custom EFI Live tune in my Duramax. Miss the power, but not the problems.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kbass24emtp
Hey I'm looking into getting a tune for my 5.0. I pretty much have it narrowed down to Mike at 5 Star but I'm open for other options. I'm looking for some feedback on how any of you like your tune. What octane tune you are using, how does it drive, and what kind of MPG you are getting with it? I'm probably going to get his 87, 89, and 93 perf/tow tune. I'm really just looking for what you like and don't like about your tune. Thanks All.
I got a Hypertech, returned it, got the SCT from Mike, sold it, and got the new improved Hypertech. It might be not as powerful as the SCT but it's easier to use. You can do all the changes yourself without having to wait for the shop to email you the new tunes . I'm running premium gas with 0% ethanol. The truck flies. Watch this - this test was done with the Hypertech.

Trending Topics

Old 08-31-2012, 11:14 AM
Platinum

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a dealer willing to drop the msrp of 52,300 down to 40,995. Its a Platinum 5.0 4x4 3.55's. I feel its a great deal but really wanted an EB for the MPG's. I wont tow anything other than my quad or 2 jet ski's. I will drive mostly city but do take road trips. How good is the economy 87 tune for the 5.0? What real world numbers should I expect? I dont really speed anymore since I need my DL for my job so performance is not a big issue.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:02 PM

Received 320 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamZambo
I have a dealer willing to drop the msrp of 52,300 down to 40,995. Its a Platinum 5.0 4x4 3.55's. I feel its a great deal but really wanted an EB for the MPG's. I wont tow anything other than my quad or 2 jet ski's. I will drive mostly city but do take road trips. How good is the economy 87 tune for the 5.0? What real world numbers should I expect? I dont really speed anymore since I need my DL for my job so performance is not a big issue.
You should do pretty good concerning MPG's with the 5.0. I see mid 17 to high 17s with mixed city and highway driving. I see mid 19s to just over 20 on the highway and that is stock with a slight muffler upgrade.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:04 PM

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamZambo
Go look at the stickers again. There is very little difference in mileage between the two if that's all you were looking for.

Quick Reply: Looking for feedback from tuned 5.0's