Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Looking for Best Ecoboost Tune for My Specific Needs

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 11:42 AM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Default Looking for Best Ecoboost Tune for My Specific Needs

I know this has been covered a lot...and I've read tons of the threads. Typically ends up in people calling each other names like Ford vs Chevy. Lets try and not do that here. I am looking for some specific needs to be met out of a tune.

So in an attempt to get the power back in my truck that has dropped WAYYY off since I began having the misfire/loss of power/attempted fixes, I am considering buying a tuner, even though it greatly concerns me cause with all my issues I fear a failure of a major component in my truck. But don't want to keep driving a truck that seems to have the power and towing capability of my 2000 5.4. So at this point I am looking at either some sort of trade/buyout/whatever with the dealer, or adding performance to mine and hope it doesn't implode.

Now as for what I'm looking for in a tune: obviously get the driveability back that has disappeared.

The whole reason I bought the Eco was for its performance towing. The way it tows now if far beyond disappointing. When new I towed a 24' flatbed total load about 7500 lbs and the truck rarely dropped out of 6th gear, only on a few of the bigger hills it did. Now, I tow a little 14' open utility trailer total load less then 3000 lbs, and it downshifts all the way to fourth on some of the hills. I want to have the truck back the way it was.

All out speed and performance is fun, but not so much looking for that. Just towing ability. Can't get 93 octane around here so I will be limited to 87,89,91 octane tunes so I will not get the most performance anyways.

I have no mods done to the truck...but if I start going this direction I may add a catless pipe and an intake. I know it sounds like intakes don't do much but I know a guy selling one cheap and if it gives me some whistle I'd be happy.

I usually just run 87 octane but if I were to program is the extra power in a 91 octane program worth it, or is it not much different then 87? Really wish I could run a 93 octane tune from the sounds of things on here, but I put too many miles on to worry about mixing race fuel in etc. I would be willing to run 91 octane if it is noticeably better then 87 octane tune.

I know 5 Star did a lot of testing with trailers. Livernois also did some, and I like the sounds of their tunes, but am kinda partial to the SCT tuner, just so I can have more options. If I was going for all out performance and could run 93 octane, I would go with the Livernois, but I'm not and can't.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-06-2013, 11:53 AM

Received 1,556 Likes on 990 Posts

Sounds to me like 5-Star perf/tow is right up your alley, though I've never driven the Livernois. I really like the quarter mile times of the Livernois, but I can't imagine the part-throttle torque and response/gear-holding being any better than what I have.
The following users liked this post:
maplelakeduckslayer (03-06-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 11:56 AM

Received 179 Likes on 143 Posts

Get a 5star 91 tune. Everyone raves about their drivability and you can't beat the price. I've driven my 93 tow tune for two tanks of gas and its a great running tune but a far cry from the performance 93 tune. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
maplelakeduckslayer (03-06-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 12:43 PM

I was leaning towards the 5 Star. Is the Livewire TS worth it? Might be nice to hold all those tunes.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:08 PM

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

People want to be able to hold all of those tunes but the reality is that they will run on one tune about 99% of the time and only switch tunes if they are going to tow or they are going to race.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:17 PM

Received 1,556 Likes on 990 Posts

That's been my experience also. I cycled through a few tunes when I first got it, but one I tried the 93 perf/tow, it never came back out.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:20 PM
F150Forum Sponsor - SCT Dealer! 614 620-5050

Received 1,084 Likes on 877 Posts

Same here. I've multiple tunes for my ecoboost but I run the same 93 octane tune 99% of the time.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:40 PM

I'm sure I'd really only run 91 perf/tow as I tow frequently enough I wouldn't want to switch back and forth and although an economy tune may be interesting to try if I wanted a truck that felt less powerful I wouldn't need to do anything haha. Probably like an 87 tune as well for those times I'm off the beaten path and good gasoline can be somewhat hard to find.

Thanks for everyones input, I really was set on waiting until the warranty expired but I think this is going to happen prior to that. Can't stand my truck as it sits right now. Guess we'll see what the dealer has to say about if they found anything.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:41 PM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I think the Livewire TS is worth the upgrade. It is very new and there are small kinks with it but the platform is better than the edge cts, Superchips vivid system and bullydog monitor. All of which I've used. I have only run the 87 tunes from 5 star which with my downpipe and intake are mighty impressive. 91 would cost me in the realm of 20 dollars a tank more and I do about 5000km a month. If I got addicted to the 91 tune it would get expensive. Lol.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:28 PM

Received 456 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by engineermike
Sounds to me like 5-Star perf/tow is right up your alley, though I've never driven the Livernois. I really like the quarter mile times of the Livernois, but I can't imagine the part-throttle torque and response/gear-holding being any better than what I have.
This

Quick Reply: Looking for Best Ecoboost Tune for My Specific Needs