Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

limp mode , catch can?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default limp mode , catch can?

I bought my 2013 FX4 brand new. since day one I have been experiencing the shudder , hesitation and limp mode (flashing check engine light) etc. Actually I dont remember one hwy trip that is 200 plus miles that it hasnt done this , granted I do floor it everytime to see if it will happen and it does. Truck has the latest flash as of September this year and I noticed it was down on power but accepted it in hope of a cure. I have not looked in the intercooler and I have not changed plugs and it seems to run fine just normal driving and will go full throttle after the initial laying down if it stays out of limp mode? Iknow some trucks seem to be more prone to this as others for whatever reason but I am getting frustrated with this as I bought this as a hwy vehicle , and it seems it is mostly hwy driving that causes this. Would a catch can help? or Maybe try the drain hole?
Old 11-16-2014, 03:48 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

I would try the new updated plugs. That is cheap and easy to do. Make sure you gap them correctly and don't over torque them. They crack easily.

If that doesn't work, I would try drilling the hole first.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:39 PM

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Tothemax
I would try the new updated plugs. That is cheap and easy to do. Make sure you gap them correctly and don't over torque them. They crack easily. If that doesn't work, I would try drilling the hole first.
What he said ^
Sounds like a plug or coil issue if it happens all the time.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The truck has been doing this from new but I will try the plug change and pull the intercooler to see what ,if anything is in there. Thanks for the replys!
Old 11-17-2014, 05:17 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

I wouldnt even pull the intercooler. Just drill the hole if the plugs dont fix it.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:18 PM
Ford Customer Service

Received 805 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by jay27
I bought my 2013 FX4 brand new. since day one I have been experiencing the shudder , hesitation and limp mode (flashing check engine light) etc. Actually I dont remember one hwy trip that is 200 plus miles that it hasnt done this , granted I do floor it everytime to see if it will happen and it does. Truck has the latest flash as of September this year and I noticed it was down on power but accepted it in hope of a cure. I have not looked in the intercooler and I have not changed plugs and it seems to run fine just normal driving and will go full throttle after the initial laying down if it stays out of limp mode? Iknow some trucks seem to be more prone to this as others for whatever reason but I am getting frustrated with this as I bought this as a hwy vehicle , and it seems it is mostly hwy driving that causes this. Would a catch can help? or Maybe try the drain hole?
Originally Posted by jay27
The truck has been doing this from new but I will try the plug change and pull the intercooler to see what ,if anything is in there. Thanks for the replys!
Please let us know how this goes, jay27! Of course, I strongly suggest having your dealership take a look at this and diagnose the issue; it is the best first step toward reaching a resolution. If you decide to take this route, please use this tool to locate a dealer nearby and schedule an appointment. Then, fill me in with current mileage and let me know how the appointment goes.

I'll be here to answer any questions! Have a great day.

Brittany
Old 11-17-2014, 07:52 PM

Received 148 Likes on 86 Posts

Screw fixing it yourself go get a lawyer or ask ford to buy it back.

Trending Topics

Old 11-18-2014, 01:01 AM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

If you drill a tiny hole you will find out. You can always put a tiny plastic screw in the hole if you feel the need. A little screw from a kids old toy battery cover will work well here.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:23 AM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

I'm sure you don't like throwing parts on your truck and not seeing results but I'm a firm believer in catch cans. Regardless if it fixes your issue or not I think it worth it to have one. And if it fixes the issue then it was even more worth it. I do suggest regapping or replacing your plugs also.

Wayne
Old 11-18-2014, 10:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to have this issue. Gapped my plugs down to .030, which reduced the occurrence of the problem, but still happened occasionally. Then installed the RX catch can, hasn't happened since. The other way to solve it is just to floor it more often so the fluid doesn't accumulate so much at any given time.

Quick Reply: limp mode , catch can?