Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

let's talk replacement engines

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 10:10 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default let's talk replacement engines

HI folks. My 2012 5.0 has 94000 kilometers on it...just over 50 thousand miles. I'm kinda paranoid about the issues the 5.0 engines have developed due to oblong cylinders and whatnot. I like my truck and I'm not really looking to trade it off and go back into debt with payments.

So I don't mind saving some cash for an engine replacement down the road. I'm thinking 10 grand (Canadian) should get the job done if it crops up. So what engine should I be looking for? Does the Boss 302 have the same issues as the stock 5.0? Could a guy get away with a 6.2 swap and still use the same tranny and transfer case?

I love the power that my 5.0 produces. However if I'm going to go thru the hassle and expense of an engine replacement then I'd like to get more bang for my buck if you catch my drift...
Old 01-25-2016, 12:08 PM

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Pretty much everyone who actually legitimately has oblong cylinder/knocking issues has made it known on this forum. It's really not as a widespread issue as its made out to be on this forum. These engines are prone to ticking and being noisy anyways, and that's often confused for knocking (don't get me wrong, some do really knock). I'm sitting at 105k miles on mine and it purrs like a kitten. In the unlikely future it does start knocking then I'd just look for a reman 5.0 or pull one from a junkyard. If you want some performance I'd look at the Aluminator motors. Little pricey but a massive upgrade over the stock engine. Comes in a NA or SC version depending on whether or not you want to put a blower on it later on.

I don't know of anyone who's actually swapped for a 6.2, I'm not 100% sure it could be done but if your smart enough you could probably figure it out. 6.2's use a PS pump instead of the EPAS so you'd have to pull the steering rack at the least and change that over. Or there may be a way to keep the EPAS and just swap the motor. Lots of questions but these trucks are still relatively new for people to get too crazy with them. Couldn't tell you on the transfer case or the transmission. They still use the 6r80 but there may be engine-specific differences. The 6.2 is usually in the Lariats or above so they may have the transfer cases with the 4 Auto so even that might be different the standard 2-speed 4Hi and 4 Lo.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:12 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

I wouldn't worry.
The following users liked this post:
130428 (01-25-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 06:40 PM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

IMO you shouldn't have to save money for an engine, you should just always have cash on hand for the unexpected. I don't understand how half the people on here even leave for work in the morning because there's a chance they could get in a car accident. Forgive me, I just don't get it might come off as rude but I really don't GAF. What happens happens just be prepared for anything is how I live...no use in constantly worrying about things
Old 01-25-2016, 08:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by maplelakeduckslayer
IMO you shouldn't have to save money for an engine, you should just always have cash on hand for the unexpected. I don't understand how half the people on here even leave for work in the morning because there's a chance they could get in a car accident. Forgive me, I just don't get it might come off as rude but I really don't GAF. What happens happens just be prepared for anything is how I live...no use in constantly worrying about things
I tend to agree. However....replacing this engine will cost upwards of 10 grand. While that might be chump change to you...it certainly isn't for me. If you have that kind of spare cash laying around then good for you.
The following users liked this post:
shortdustoff (01-25-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 09:54 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

No 10g laying around here....
Old 01-25-2016, 09:57 PM
Unofficial Glass Guru

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

if you're going to do a tear down, i'd suggest going through the Ford Racing parts catalog and getting some cams, valve springs, etc.. no need to spend the money and not get some better performing parts.. also, do a converter swap and have it tuned accordingly..
Old 01-26-2016, 10:10 AM

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts

I like the idea of putting a 6.2 in, IF the existing engine tanks, but have no good answer as to if it's possible with minimal changes.

Maybe a question for Ford Service?
Old 01-28-2016, 03:09 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Just a side question related to engine swaps... Does anyone know if you can swap in a 5.0 into a 3.7 truck? I doubt the transmission pairs up the same but just thought I'd ask
Old 01-29-2016, 01:09 PM

Received 254 Likes on 210 Posts

If it costs you 10K for an engine replacement, you're stupid enough to pay it.

You can get JYard engines for 2-3K EB or 5.0 and get it installed for another 1-2K or ***** up and learn how to do it. And I'm in Canada too.

Quick Reply: let's talk replacement engines