Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Leaking a pinkish fluid on 3.5l ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking a pinkish fluid on 3.5l ecoboost

Just noticed a fairly big leak of a pinkish in color fluid coming from the center front of my truck. The engine is a 3.5L ecoboost 2011. What fluid is it and can I drive tomorrow without causing damage?
Old 08-14-2011, 11:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rileyc
Just noticed a fairly big leak of a pinkish in color fluid coming from the center front of my truck. The engine is a 3.5L ecoboost 2011. What fluid is it and can I drive tomorrow without causing damage?

It's transmission fluid.......call the dealer and let them pay to tow it.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:06 PM

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

Known transmission issue, make a dealer appt pronto. Drive it as little as possible. Get to have some stuff replaced in the tranny.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:10 PM

Haven't even had the thing more than three weeks. As a brand new truck, it's not off to a good start!! Will make the appt tomorrow.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:08 AM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

They got a bad batch of pumps for the transmissions and they'll just replace it as per the tsb. Hopefully it won't be too much of a hassle as it is a pretty main part of the tranny. Good luck
Old 08-15-2011, 01:19 AM

I found out on Friday, that my 2011 F150 was assembled during the time period of bad Transmission Pumps. The parts for mine have been ordered, but I don't have another car to drive, so I need to baby it until the parts arrive. I have had mine almost 2 months. I agree it sucks to have something new and problems, but my dealer is taking care of my issue.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by oakley0
I found out on Friday, that my 2011 F150 was assembled during the time period of bad Transmission Pumps. The parts for mine have been ordered, but I don't have another car to drive, so I need to baby it until the parts arrive. I have had mine almost 2 months. I agree it sucks to have something new and problems, but my dealer is taking care of my issue.

Are there any other signs of faulty tranny pumps other than the leaking? I have had my truck 2 months and it has about 2800 miles, so it probably has a similar build date to your truck. It has been in the shop 3 times for 4 different issues. My trans isn't leaking, but the trans makes loud noises when I put it in gear, almost like a sloppy u-joint or bad tranny mount. Service told me the noise didn't sound good at all and bring it in right away, but after sitting at the dealer for 3 days, they told me Ford engineers say this loud cluncking noise is normal and is suspension preload which is totally ridiculous. I've owned 3 F-150's over the past 20 years and know all about their suspension preload noises. Ford engineers are trying to diagnose my issue over the phone from Detroit and say that's where the noise is coming from, it's almost a joke at this point. I have had the truck on a lift, it's definitely coming from the tranny and transfer case area. It also shifts funky on many occasions even with the latest reflash installed.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:09 AM

Luckily I have another car to drive in the mean time but I'm taking it on a road trip this Friday so it dam well better be fixed. My truck has always been super quiet tho. Although I haven't driven it yet since the leak i can barely hear when I turn the engine on. On time I can hear a quiet 'clunk' is when I shift from park to any other gears.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oakley0

your dealer should provided you with a loaner......if the dearler want give you a loaner I 'd find a new place to trade next time......my Ford dealer has always provided me with another ride while my truck is in the shop and has for many..many years.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:01 PM

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought that they *had* to provide you with a loaner or rental any time you would be without the vehicle for more than 24 hours?

Quick Reply: Leaking a pinkish fluid on 3.5l ecoboost