Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

K & N drop in air filter

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 05:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default K & N drop in air filter

Anyone running one in an Ecoboost?
Old 07-03-2011, 07:33 PM

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

I've been thinking about it but haven't bought one yet.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Deerhuter4 - I have run them in many vehicles over the years with not one issue, just never a turbo vehicle, so not sure how well it might work out? Possibly someone has and we wll both know. Have a good 4th Holiday !!
Old 07-03-2011, 07:48 PM

Yea I've used them before too. I've used them on turbo diesels with no issues. I am just curious if anyone has used one on an EB and what they thought. A good 4th to you too.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had a Airraid intake and before that a k&n filter on my Taurus SHO for over a year with a tune set to 15psi boost and not a single problem.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:16 PM

Good to know. I bet the EB really moves that Taurus in a hurry.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone with a wideband can verify if this is a safe mod... Afrs and boost would be the two parameters to keep an eye on.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:50 AM

Received 117 Likes on 83 Posts

K&N Filters Suck...suck dirt into your engine. They are OK for racing since those engines don't have to run 100,000 miles or more...get rebuilt more often, ect. They let more air "IN" by letting air in without great filtration...not good for an everyday vehicle. Sure, your vehicle will run 100,000 plus miles if you keep the filter oiled and cleaned properly...but in reality you would do better by not cleaning the filter and letting dirt that does get trapped stay there.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DieselDawg
K&N Filters Suck...suck dirt into your engine. They are OK for racing since those engines don't have to run 100,000 miles or more...get rebuilt more often, ect. They let more air "IN" by letting air in without great filtration...not good for an everyday vehicle. Sure, your vehicle will run 100,000 plus miles if you keep the filter oiled and cleaned properly...but in reality you would do better by not cleaning the filter and letting dirt that does get trapped stay there.
Yeah, I was under the same impression. If memory serves it elevates silicon in your engine which errodes the cylinder walls. You obviously have to have the vehicle for a while for that to manifest, but I imagine that would show up right around when that extended warranty was over. I have also heard that not oiling correctly (too much,too little) can lead to some other problems, and it seems like a hassle for a filter.

As a side note, I have also heard that the filter itself is a negligible increase in HP without a new intake. Not sure if that applies for the newer F150 since we already kinda have a cold air intake.

Be interested if anyone has information on that.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:09 AM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DieselDawg
Sure, your vehicle will run 100,000 plus miles if you keep the filter oiled and cleaned properly...but in reality you would do better by not cleaning the filter and letting dirt that does get trapped stay there.
This statement is a howler to those of use who had vehicles with the oil bath air filters. With every oil change in those days about 2,000 miles you had the replace the oil that was in the filter and clean the metal mesh filtration material. These where fairly good air filters but high maintenance. Air cooled VW's had oil bath air filters up until the 1972 model year. The engines took 2 1/2 quarts of oil the remaining half quart of oil went into the air filter.

Quick Reply: K & N drop in air filter