Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Injector cleaning 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 06:23 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Injector cleaning 5.0

Ok so I have a 2011 f150 61500 miles. But less than 5000 miles on the 5.0 short block. New motor craft plugs gapped correctly. There a distinct slightly rough idle in park. Great power, throttle response, OK fuel mileage (16.5 but with 33 inch e load range mud grips so I think that's decent.) Do you think a full on injector cleaning from the dealership would be worth it? It's never been done, and since I've had the truck I've ran Shell 93 octane and run b 12 or seafoam every few tanks. Still that little rough idle is annoying. I know that on the older trucks they'd hook up a can of cleaner to a manifold gauge set and hook that up to the fuel rail. How's it done on the 5.0s?
Old 06-11-2015, 08:49 PM

Received 531 Likes on 407 Posts

Question

have you ever tried any CHEVRON TECHRON?
Old 06-12-2015, 11:22 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you mean the actual fuel or the fuel treatment they sale in the store? I don't like the fuel treatment, I only use b 12 or seafoam. And for the fuel we have almost all shell gas stations here.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:27 PM

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

Do you need your wallet flushed? Come on over I'll clean it for you!
The following users liked this post:
130428 (03-07-2016)
Old 06-20-2015, 12:53 AM

Received 270 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by la_leo
Ok so I have a 2011 f150 61500 miles. But less than 5000 miles on the 5.0 short block. New motor craft plugs gapped correctly. There a distinct slightly rough idle in park. Great power, throttle response, OK fuel mileage (16.5 but with 33 inch e load range mud grips so I think that's decent.) Do you think a full on injector cleaning from the dealership would be worth it? It's never been done, and since I've had the truck I've ran Shell 93 octane and run b 12 or seafoam every few tanks. Still that little rough idle is annoying. I know that on the older trucks they'd hook up a can of cleaner to a manifold gauge set and hook that up to the fuel rail. How's it done on the 5.0s?
If e85 is available in your area run a couple tanks of that. This helps for two reasons; 1. It's a solvent (and the most common ingredient in most injector cleaners anyway). 2. Because it takes more fuel to operate the engine it will cycle the injectors more causing a better flush of the injectors.

My smog tech also swears by Chevron with Techron every tank before a smog if your vehicle is questionable. If you don't have a chevron gas station then you can buy it by the bottle at many auto parts stores and/or Walmart.

While you're at the auto parts store, buy a can of CRC MAF cleaner and clean your MAF sensor. Make sure you let it dry before hooking it back up and driving. Not saying this will help your problem, but it's good maintenance IMO.

Last edited by mechanicboy; 06-20-2015 at 12:55 AM.
Old 06-20-2015, 01:18 AM

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,699 Posts

Originally Posted by mechanicboy
If e85 is available in your area run a couple tanks of that. This helps for two reasons; 1. It's a solvent (and the most common ingredient in most injector cleaners anyway). 2. Because it takes more fuel to operate the engine it will cycle the injectors more causing a better flush of the injectors.

My smog tech also swears by Chevron with Techron every tank before a smog if your vehicle is questionable. If you don't have a chevron gas station then you can buy it by the bottle at many auto parts stores and/or Walmart.

While you're at the auto parts store, buy a can of CRC MAF cleaner and clean your MAF sensor. Make sure you let it dry before hooking it back up and driving. Not saying this will help your problem, but it's good maintenance IMO.

Interesting what you say about 85, I ran a full tank in a Tahoe once. It never ran the same and I have never used it again in anything!
Old 06-20-2015, 01:25 AM

Received 270 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by digitaltrucker
Interesting what you say about 85, I ran a full tank in a Tahoe once. It never ran the same and I have never used it again in anything!
If the seals were going on the injectors then it will clean the varnish off and further expose the problem. When I have trouble vehicles I'm working on throwing some e85 in the tank, even those that shouldn't run it, is the second thing I do (cleaning the MAF is the first). Also, I assume the tahoe was meant for e85? GM didn't (don't know about the 14+ trucks) have their act together like early Ford e85 vehicles. It used to be that adding e85 did was change the fueling but now it changes almost everything the ECU does (at least on the 11+ 5.0 F150).

Edit: you got me thinking about GM ecus so I did some research. Apparently, when you switch ethanol contents on a GM vehicle, you need to leave the engine running for at least 7 minutes after the switch so it will get an accurate reading of the alcohol content. If you don't do this it will screw of the ecu and often won't recover properly until the computer is manually forced to relearn. I hope this helps someone.

OP, if you're sure the injectors are bad, you can get a set of brand new ones for about $250 to your door from Rockauto.com. If you look around you might be able to get them cheaper, just make sure they are the right ones.

Last edited by mechanicboy; 06-20-2015 at 01:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
digitaltrucker (06-20-2015)
Old 06-20-2015, 02:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Injector cleaning 5.0

Techron fuel injector cleaner, Gumout all-in-1 or, any of the Gumout regane products will clean the injectors better than most anything else you can buy. They contain Polyetheramine (pea) which the strongest fuel additive there is and really the only one that works!
Old 06-20-2015, 08:32 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A can of BG44K is probably the best way to go, but I use Chevron Techron concentrate also. Run a fuel injector cleaner every 15k miles.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:47 PM

Received 101 Likes on 78 Posts

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I bought a 13 Lariat Screw with 5.0 with 76k. It runs like new, no issues at all. However, I don't know how or what was maintained by the previous owner. So I've changed the oil and air filter. Now I'm looking to do a FI cleaner...

I found in the OM that you should not use additives in the trans, but nothing on if it's ok for the engine. I assume it's like any other, unless someone has found something I haven't...if so, do tell.

I'd like to run some of the stuff dealers run through it. What is it called and where can I get it?

Quick Reply: Injector cleaning 5.0